86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intake Application

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake Application

Seeing that I will most likely not purchase a K&N intake system for the 22RE, I am looking to do something a little similar...I have the K&N drop in air filter installed and understand now that it might not have been the best choice, but I am trying for more flow. Now, considering that I will probably not change the intake tube, I am looking for a basic airbox mod...even though it may not change much, a little more flow is what I am looking for. I took the silencer piece or whatever the tubing inside the box was...and a little 2 inch hole in front of the headlight. So say it I were to do some modification to the box and surrounding area (which I read would be more effective for cold air due to engine heat) in order to obtain more flow, what would be the route to go? I wouldn't cut into the underside of the fender in case of water, but something to stuff more air down the intake, for instance for highway driving...

What would be you opinion on what to do for a more effective and free modification?

Old 07-31-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you're going to force air into that motor, I don't think additional modifications of the intake track are going to get you anything.
If you can get colder air into that filter area, that will certainly help as the intake temperatures on the 22RE are in the 120-125 degree range due to preheating from the engine / radiator.

Why do I think additional intake work won't help?
Two reasons:
1) First bottleneck is at the AFM. There is a fixed area on that flapper door.
2) If you get a larger AFM, the second bottleneck is at the 55mm throttle body. Again, fixed area.

I think there is benefit and power to be found by a well built cold air intake system and/or insulating the the intake track that exists. Adding bigger pipes to the existing system isn't going to to much IMHO....
Old 07-31-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agreed, there isn't much more you can do. but i took that elbow out, opened a hole where you see the indent on the passenger side back edge, and riveted it in pointing forward, like a scoop. gave more intake, albeit hot as it's on the engine side of the airbox.
IMHO toss the KN and pick up the amsoil, more freeflow. again, with the restrictions at the flap, how much is overkill? would be nice if someone lot smarter than me could definitively answer that question.