Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Installing a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
having the wrong parts does suck. I was there myself a couple of months ago. Only my clutch was from downey instead of marlin. long story short, I had the wrong flywheel and wrong clutch. oh, and I had mine all back together before I figured it out Just a bit of my $.02, make sure you clutch pedal is normal and the clutch is working before you bolt all the drive shafts and everything else in. learn from my mistake. ended up having the truck down for over a week waiting for parts. good luck.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM

by the way i don't know if you went to ctj 07 and ether way you should go to Ctj 08
CTJ 07 https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f15/...8-29-a-115853/
Old 01-15-2008, 06:48 AM

Justed dropped off my old flywheel at the shop, and it should be done in an hour. I'll try to sneak out of work to get it and hopefully I can finish this afternoon.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 PM

A little update.
Resurfaced flywheel, installed all clutch components, bolted the transmission back up. Getting the transmission back on just required a bit of patience with the jack and as soon as it hit a sweet spot it locked right in. Then I started tightening bolts to finish pulling it in. Just need to reinstall the starter, slave, drive shafts, and crossmember, and I'll take her for a spin tomorrow.
I talked with Marlin, they are going to refund my money on the flywheel.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM

Awesome, sounds like by actually renting a real tranny jack you got a big one up on the rest of us hope the rest of the ordeal goes well... do it like 10 more times and you will have it to the point where you can do it start>finish in like 3.5hours by yourself without the tranny jack. Its a sad time when you reach that point, because it means youve definately broken whatever your working on way to many times
Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 AM

Right on
I tend to make myself available to friends to work on their cars, but I always like to have broken my car first. I think this job on my girlfriends truck would be about a 2 hour ordeal. She has an old rabbit pickup and the transmission is about half the size of ours, with no transfer case. I actually look forward to her clutch going out.
Thanks for all encouragement, I will post a final summary when I finish, which will hopefully be tonight.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 PM

Not quite ready for the final summary.
I took a rest after work and didn't start on my truck till about 8. Put pretty much everything back on. Still have to put the drive shafts on and the wheels, so I should get her running tomorrow. Everything went back together fine, I made sure to torque the engine/transmission bolts to 53 ftlbs. Ended up fiddling with my starter for a bit of time, but I got it all squared away. Seems the easiest access is through the front of the truck with a long extension.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
"Seems the easiest access is through the front of the truck with a long extension."

...Or 5 extensions....haahhahha. I had to use 5 different sized extensions!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, that is the easiest....by far!!! I'm in the middle of pulling and rebuilding the better part of my motor. Once I got everything off....plenum, intake man., head, etc..... I STILL had to go through the front to get to that darn bottom bolt. Can't see it from up top. I could have gone through the fender, and I've done that, but the front is the easiest.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

I am buttoning up my second clutch in my truck......

Wash your hands before messing with the interior parts, ie: shifter/boots.

I feel ya'alls pain....
Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Got everything installed, unjacked the truck, connected the battery. Tried to start it and nothing. Clutch pedal pushes in fine, and I can here the starter click but nothing else. If I don't push in the clutch pedal, then I don't hear the click. I assume this is the starter. When I took the starter out, I first just undid the bolts that hold it together and it came apart. I took the whole thing out and put it all back together, but I bet this is my issue. Any advice on how to diagnose the starter? I'm thinking this is just a small issue. I was also thinking about turning the crank to see if it just needs to engage? I don't know....I'll start tomorrow by taking the starter out and going from there.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 AM

Well, I have a feeling I'm screwed on the starter. I was just looking around to see about diagnosing the issue, and they all say to leave the 2 bolts that hold the starter together. I literally took the whole thing apart. I really had a challenge getting it back together as the inner shaft/bearing part of the motor slipped out of its cradle. I was able to get it back in but I wonder if I really screwed it up. I'm going to pull it at lunch, check it out a bit and see if anything is obviously wrong. If nothing jumps out, I'll just go ahead and get a new one. They are not that expensive.

Last edited by drshoebocks; 01-18-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 AM

There is a safety switch/mechanism that prevents the vehicle from being started unless the clutch is pushed in. It cuts the ignition. My vehicle ('86 4rnr) has a "clutch cancel" switch that bypasses that. Yours may also.

I don't know. If you're sure all of your battery connections are good, you may have messed something up. What you've done is a pretty common occurance. In fact, years ago I almost made the same mistake. I realized what I was doing before I got the first screw half way out.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:14 AM

Yeah
I tried the clutch safety switch. You can hear the starter solenoid click, but nothing after that. I'm going to try a new starter and see. I can always take it back if it isn't culprit. Live in an learn, this is how you get to understand how your vehicle works....
Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Stick with your original starter and rebuild it; it costs about $20 or less and will last another 200k. the ones you get at Advance, etc., are pieces of crap that won't last a year. All you need to do is replace the contacts. There are many write-ups about it here in the forum.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM

Yeah. I wished I'd done that with my original Toyota starter. I didn't know about it then. Now, I'm stuck in the O'Reilly revolving merchandise program.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:24 PM

Success!!!!!
Lessons learned-If it is really hard to get the transmission off, it is probably still bolted on. The starter is connected by a nut and a bolt, not the 2 bolts on the starter.
A quick summary-This is a job that can be done by a beer mechanic with some gusto, no problem. A transmission jack is especially helpful and I can't imagine doing this by my self with out one. This was the first large job I have done on this truck, and I feel very glad that I went through the process. My understanding of the drive train has gone up exponentially, and hey, I can change a starter in less the 30 minutes flat.
Please feel free to ask for advice if you are contemplating this project or are in the middle of it. My next project, which will wait until it is a little warmer is going to be a front suspension rebuild. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with knowledge and encouragement. This a great forum.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:51 AM

Nice work drshoebocks, as I just spent this past weekend installing a new Southbend Sled-pulling double disc clutch in a 07 Cummins. The clutch and flywheel together weighed in at over 110 lbs!!! I measured the tranny's base and welded up some angle iron to cradle the bottom of the tranny. I was told to remove the xfer case from the tranny as these one ton units are insanely heavy, however I was hell bent on doing it without removing the xfer from the tranny. Two days later I got'r all back together and that clutch is harder to push in than the Kenworth T-800 semi I drive everyday!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:54 AM

Damn that is some serious ass busting. Is there at least a bunch of room to work on the cummins?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you've come far pilgrim. transfer case rebuild is next, then ring and pinion installs...