Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing Aisans tomorrow.. anything I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Aisans tomorrow.. anything I need to know?

Just got done tearing down my Aisan hubs I bought from a member here and cleaning them up and regreasing everything. Right now I'm just waiting for the paint to dry to reassemble everything. I painted the centers white and the outside part black. I did white because it's matches my truck. We'll see how long they stay white being down on the wheel..haha. Anyways I've read pretty much all the information and write up's on the board regarding the install and it looks pretty straight forward. I just wanted to see if anyone had any last minute inputs that might help me out. I'm going to do the install tomorrow after I pick up my new center caps that have open ends on them. Curious how it will drive without the CV's turning all the time as well.
UK
Old 02-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

you wont notice much if any difference in the driving and if youve read the posts on installing them, it will be a 1/4 banana job! post up some pix when youre done.

lee
Old 02-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Well after 3 hours it was a no go today with the hubs. I got the ADD flange off and the back half of the hub on with no problems but getting the front half of the hub on is when I started having problems. I had the hub set to free and you kind of have to wind the spring back to get it to compress so that when you slide the top half of the hub on it is disengaged. Well on one of the hubs when I wound it backwards it would not slide into the Free detent. The part you turn to lock and unlock then was on free but the on the back I couldn 't get it to to snap into the free dentent where it compresses the spring all the way. The other hub slid right on there no problems. I had them both on the table looking at them and took both apart numerous times. I can't figure out why that one is screwing up. I'm thinking it has something to do with the spring. I ended up having to put my ADD flange back on and giving up. I cleaned everything back up and have the parts all sitting here again but I'm tired of messing with it today. Anybody have any clues? I did once get that one hub to where I could lock and unlock it but I had to use pliers to get it to go the last 1/4" or so into the free position which is no good. HELP!
Old 02-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

sorry to hear the job didnt go as well as you had hoped. how much grease did you put in the hub body? you dont need a lot. if you put them together on the bench, do they work properly? maybe someone else will be able to offer a suggestion on how to get them to work smoothly.

lee
Old 02-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

I didn't put too much grease on them. You can't put them clear together on the bench because their is no shaft to engage. I have it all apart now. I'm going to sleep on it and try again tomorrow. Sometimes if you leave stuff alone like that overnight it fixes itself.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Not quite sure "exactly" what you are talking about, but FWIW, Aisin hubs should work, switch from Free to Lock, on or off the vehicle. Compare the one that turns freely to the one that doesn't...obviously you've got something not right w/ the rebuild.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-05-2006 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Wilco.. Waskilly... Like I said.. you watch I'll go out their tomorrow and it'll go right together.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had some of the same problems as you installing the hubs.
Maybe you can try this Click this PDF might help, might not. I also replaced all the studs and bolts as well as the gaskets when I switched my add flanges over.
PN#s
Studs 90116-08325 $ .53 ea
Nut 90170-08204 $ .47 ea
Gasket 43531-60010 $ 1.31 ea
Gasket 43422-600010 $.53 ea

Good luck