Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing aftermarket gauges, how to keep original?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing aftermarket gauges, how to keep original?

I did not get the desired result after a quick search. i figure this had to have been addressed many times. I'm putting a set of oil, water, and voltage gauges in my 86 runner. the voltage is easy. how do i get the oil and water installed while keeping the stock stuff working too. i was told it has to be working for the ecm to function properly.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know the exact answer to your question, however I can tell you that the temp gauge is separate from the temp sensor going into the EFI.. on the 22re there are two temp sensors, one on the fornt of the motor below the throttle body which sends the engine temp to the EFI... another on top of the motor, near the intake manifold, between #2 and 3 cyliders.. that sensor is for the gauge ONLY
Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Several ways to do this.

What motor do you have, just so we know?

But, regardless of the motor:

For the oil pressure you can pull the stock sender and install a "T" so that you can hook the stock sender and the new sender into the same high pressure oil port. On the 3VZE, not sure on the 22RE, the oil port is 1/8 BPST thread (British Pipe Standard Taper), which is not technically compatible with 1/8 NPT (National Pipe Thread) (most senders are 1/8" NPT thread). The best way to do the T it is buy a special, super duper T that I have seen on the web that has male 1/8 BPST on one end (into the block), female 1/8 BPST on the other (stock sender) and female 1/8 NPT on the T (for the new sender). I think the one I saw was ordered from England....

Or, you can use another high pressure oil tap on the block for the new sender. On the 3VZE there are two right in the same general area as the stock sender and oil filter that you can take out with a hex key and put the new sender in there. On the 3VZE both of those are 1/4 BPST thread, so you need a 1/4 BPST to 1/8 NPT adapter to put it in there, which are available for a less than $5 on the web. The new sender makes getting the oil filter on/off a bit harder, as it sticks out in that area.

As for the temp sending unit, the easiest thing to do is to put it in a heater hose or in a radiator hose. Autometer sells sender blocks that will go in-line in either location. Just cut the hose, take some length out of it, put the block in, and then put the sender in the block. Otherwise, you need to find a location in a water jacket to put it. The block on these motors has a drain hole that you can access and put a sender in there, but they tend to be harder to get to. Or you can drill and tap a hole somewhere, which is a bit more of an involved process.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited by OutlawMike; 03-01-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM

PM BigBluePile, I hear he has more gauges in his truck than the average airplane cockpit.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike
Several ways to do this.

What motor do you have, just so we know?

But, regardless of the motor:

For the oil pressure you can pull the stock sender and install a "T" so that you can hook the stock sender and the new sender into the same high pressure oil port. On the 3VZE, not sure on the 22RE, the oil port is 1/8 BPST thread (British Pipe Standard Taper), which is not technically compatible with 1/8 NPT (National Pipe Thread) (most senders are 1/8" NPT thread). The best way to do the T it is buy a special, super duper T that I have seen on the web that has male 1/8 BPST on one end (into the block), female 1/8 BPST on the other (stock sender) and female 1/8 NPT on the T (for the new sender). I think the one I saw was ordered from England....

Or, you can use another high pressure oil tap on the block for the new sender. On the 3VZE there are two right in the same general area as the stock sender and oil filter that you can take out with a hex key and put the new sender in there. On the 3VZE both of those are 1/4 BPST thread, so you need a 1/4 BPST to 1/8 NPT adapter to put it in there, which are available for a less than $5 on the web. The new sender makes getting the oil filter on/off a bit harder, as it sticks out in that area.

As for the temp sending unit, the easiest thing to do is to put it in a heater hose or in a radiator hose. Autometer sells sender blocks that will go in-line in either location. Just cut the hose, take some length out of it, put the block in, and then put the sender in the block. Otherwise, you need to find a location in a water jacket to put it. The block on these motors has a drain hole that you can access and put a sender in there, but they tend to be harder to get to. Or you can drill and tap a hole somewhere, which is a bit more of an involved process.

Good luck.

Mike
Mike,

Great post thanks for the info that help a lot. Going to install gauges pretty soon.

Chris
Old 08-12-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and here is a sight I get my "BPST" fittings from, along with others...

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com...FSkHswodUkGvlg

good post mike, well said...