Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

inner door panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
inner door panel removal

How do you remove the inner door panels on the 89 pickup? I'm talking about the panel with the handle to open the door and roll down the window.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 05-20-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Assuming it is manual window/locks/mirror. Just pull on the door opener handle there should be a phillips screw behind it, take that out then pop out the plactic thing that it was holding in. You will have to hold the hanlde open while you pull it off.

Look for some holes or places to pop off a peice of plastic on the armrest. There should be 2 or 3 screws holding the armrest on that need to come off before the panel.

On the lock/unlock indicator on the rear of the door pop off the plastic ring around it with a flathead screwdriver.

For the window crank push the panel into/towards the door and use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the clip off of the window crank. The clip is a horse shoe shaped clip you need to pull on the u side of it, straight back. (Carefull, this is what is known as a "Jesus Clip" when it pops off and flys away you say "Jesus!")

After that carefully stick your fingers under the edges of the panel and pull it off towards you. After the whole thing is out it might take some moving side to side to get it out of the window sill. You might want to roll the window down before taking the crank off.

Be ready to break things though. They are old and brittle. You *might* be able to get it off without breaking things but dont be suprised if you don't.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:26 PM

thanks for the info. very details.

I think Ill leave it alone for now, seeing as how there's plastic clips involved.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:33 PM

Actually the jesus clip is steel. Shouldnt be too bad.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:58 PM

Ah, okay. I think I'll take a look then.

Reason I'm removing the panel is to put in some sound deading material and paint the thing black and red.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its easy done mine about 3-4 times if you break the clips you can get new ones cheap
Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM

How do I remove the window crank? I've been re reading the instructions, and I still cant picture in my head where the jesus clip would be on the crank.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Heres what you do.

Put your fingers around the door crank and push in on the door panel. You should be able to see the gold Jesus clip. Use a rag to get it out (FSM!!)

I recomend buying one of those plastic door clip remover tools. (bent flathead with a notch in the middle). Those stupid clips are a pain, and quiet often they rip out the pressboard...
Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 PM

i would buy a window crank tool, they are only a couple of bucks. it makes taking off window cranks a cinch. i would also buy a door clip tool. if you are careful you should be able to save most of them.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 PM

Ah yeah good idea with the rag! Never though of that. If you wait a while I might be able to go take pics of mine. Not now though lol. Im headed to bed.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i HATE that jesus clip so bad. ive lost so many of em lol.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by toylocost
Ah yeah good idea with the rag! Never though of that. If you wait a while I might be able to go take pics of mine. Not now though lol. Im headed to bed.
Pics would be nice, but dont go out of your way to do it. I think I can manage on my own.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay351
Heres what you do.

Put your fingers around the door crank and push in on the door panel. You should be able to see the gold Jesus clip. Use a rag to get it out (FSM!!)

I recomend buying one of those plastic door clip remover tools. (bent flathead with a notch in the middle). Those stupid clips are a pain, and quiet often they rip out the pressboard...

Do this is will save you alot of trouble....

Robb
Old 10-13-2009, 01:46 PM

So I got the window crank removed, and the armrest thing, but I couldn't totally remove the door release lever. I tried prying it but didn't want to pry too much to break anything. So I tried just pulling the panel off and it wouldn't come off. Stuck a screwdriver in there and started twisting and prying. No dice. It felt like I was going to break something if I did. Maybe the previous owner glued it in place, but are there clips for the actual panel that I have to pop out by prying? I was also trying to slide it up, down, left and right trying to get it out.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Once you remove the screw holding the handle in, you need to slide it to the side about a 1/4" or so. Then you can pull it out. Its a tight fit, as the little slide clips usually get into the door plastic and create a really good seal.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You have to slide the door handle forward (toward the engine) to release it after you've unscrewed the one philips head screw. If I recall, mine did take a little bit of scary force...
Old 10-13-2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by toylocost
the FSM specifies the rag trick.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:29 PM

The jesus clip popped off nicely, but I havent tried the passenger side yet. THe driver's side has a custom fabbed shaft so it sticks out a bit further. I don't know what happened to it, but the previous owner had to fix it like this.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:52 PM

pictures of the jesus clip? my guess its the same as a 96+

removed most of the panel on the 96+ but there is a clip that holds the inner door handle...is that the jesus clip? how do you remove that without breaking it? thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 04:33 PM

You hardly ever break the jesus clip, you just lose it cause it flies away never to be seen again, and cal01 its the clip that holds the manual window crank to the regulator!

Quick Reply: inner door panel removal