Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Injector install gone bad - real bad. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector install gone bad - real bad. Help!

So, after reading all about the flamethrower injectors I decided to put some in my 95 4runner (3.0) today. Everything went smooth until I started it up...

Gas was pouring out of the exhaust and the engine had a loud knock. I found a loose spark plug wire and and wet plug thinking that was it but no. I pulled more plugs and finally found one with a bent electrode! Put a new plug in and still has a death knock. Electrode in new plug is fine and the plug is dry so they cylinder seems to be working. Fuel still dripping out the exhaust.

It occurred to me that something fell into the intake while working on it but all tools and fasteners are accounted for. I'm at a loss. Is it possible for a cylinder to fill with fuel and hydro lock bending something? Any ideas are greatly appreciated! I'm stumped.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If an injector hung open and filled the cylinder...it def could bend a rod.

Was bent electrode plug all gas soaked?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 PM

Time to drain the oil and take a look for sparkles

FYI dose your oil smell like gas

Last edited by vital22re; 10-27-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:45 PM

Was bent electrode plug all gas soaked?[/QUOTE]

No, the cylinder that has the wet plug seems fine now. The noise seems to becoming from the other side where the messed up electrode was.

Time to drain the oil and take a look for sparkles[/QUOTE]
FYI dose your oil smell like gas[/QUOTE]

I will drain the oil and report back tomorrow after work. If everything checks out I might put the old injectors back and and see if that changes anything too. The knock really has me worried though... Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Update: I checked the oil and no gas smell or foreign bits in it. Took the new injectors out and put the old ones back in. Started it and the knock is still there but gas is no longer pouring out of my exhaust. I'm now getting a little white smoke and burnt oil smell... Not good.

My theory at this point: injector stuck open flooding the #1 cylinder and damaging something. An experienced mechanic friend of mine is going to drop by later today and take a listen/look. I'll update when I learn more.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:47 PM

The gas can wash out the cylinder, causing it to lose compression and allowing the oil to burn. What is the compression on that cylinder, compared to the others? Change the oil and add an additive that will "restore" compression. Might get lucky...
Old 10-28-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
I didn't want to read this.. I just installed the orange injectors in my newly remaned engine..... where did you get the orange flamethrowers?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by cracker_1
The gas can wash out the cylinder, causing it to lose compression and allowing the oil to burn. What is the compression on that cylinder, compared to the others? Change the oil and add an additive that will "restore" compression. Might get lucky...

That takes time to happen. Not gonna wash out rings in one day.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gevo
I didn't want to read this.. I just installed the orange injectors in my newly remaned engine..... where did you get the orange flamethrowers?
Ebay...
Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by cracker_1
I don't have a compression tester but need one and might use this excuse to get one in the next few days. Thought about buying a cheapo harbor freight scope to stick in the spark plug hole too just to see if I can get a clue as to what's going on in there. I'm probably better off saving up for a new motor though because it sure sounds like that's where I'm heading. I'll wait for my friend to take a look before I start panning the funeral.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM

that's where I got mine as well.

I suppose I could do a test to make sure they are clicking on and off and not sticking.

as for your problem, I sure hope you get it squared away.. totally sucks! let us know what you find.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gevo
that's where I got mine as well.

I suppose I could do a test to make sure they are clicking on and off and not sticking.

as for your problem, I sure hope you get it squared away.. totally sucks! let us know what you find.
I'm not ready to throw the flamthrowers under the bus yet. So many have had success with them and that's what caught my interest. It couldn't hurt to check them though. I did read about someone who had one stuck shut and they had to warranty it so I suppose it's possible for one to stick open.

The bummer of this story is that I just gave it a tune up and it passed smog on Saturday with flying colors. I didn't know how the injectors would effect things so I waited till after the smog test. It was running so smooth and I had a trip planned this week camping in the mtns. I had no idea things could go so sideways on such a simple task.

I will update as soon as I learn anything new.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 PM

is there a way you can take a video or any thing and post it.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Could just be carbon on top of the piston. Also could be something dropped down the intake. I rebuilt a 3.0 because of carbon build up being shook loose and got on the top of the piston. All I had to do was pour water down the intake while reved up about 3k. Its worth a try.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by David_315
is there a way you can take a video or any thing and post it.
Working on a video or sound clip... In the mean time here are a couple of photos. First is the gas puddle stains where the fuel was dumping out of my leaking exhaust system. The second is the spark plug I pulled from the #1 cylinder.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 AM

ouch...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 AM

ouch indeed. looks like something collided in that cylinder.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
wow! looks like something really smacked that plug hard.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM

I have a picture of a plug that looks just like that from my 2004 Mach1 I used to have. I leaned it out and burned the ring lands off 3 pistons. It was heat that did mine like that. Coated it with light layer of molten aluminum.

Name:  100_0643.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  59.6 KB
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I would imagine if there was something in your cylinder that did that it is either still there, or mangled some valves on it's way out. A compression test is good and you can rent one free from an auto store, but a leak down test gives you a lot more information. Good luck with whatever it is.

You might have people on here that are close and want a wrenching day.

Quick Reply: Injector install gone bad - real bad. Help!