Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

info needed on lockers and LSDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
info needed on lockers and LSDs

well, im sick of my rear LSD from the factory, i want an ARB air locker in the rear and an LSD in the front, now i should probably just take the rear LSD and put it in the front, but i made a good price selling it, so...what i want to know is, how much is an ARB Rear Air Locker for the 7.5" toyota axle? wheres the cheapist to buy it? and name a good front LSD and how much and best place to buy it.

and i want to do it right the first time, so what else should i order at the same time, what will or should i replace while i have the diff's apart?

and as for the Air Compressor, can i use the locker compressor for filling tires as well? or do i need a different one? cause i'm removing the rear heater and replacing it with an Air compressor for the tires & locker if i can.

any help would be great!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
well, im sick of my rear LSD from the factory, i want an ARB air locker in the rear and an LSD in the front, now i should probably just take the rear LSD and put it in the front, but i made a good price selling it, so...what i want to know is, how much is an ARB Rear Air Locker for the 7.5" toyota axle? wheres the cheapist to buy it? and name a good front LSD and how much and best place to buy it.

and i want to do it right the first time, so what else should i order at the same time, what will or should i replace while i have the diff's apart?

and as for the Air Compressor, can i use the locker compressor for filling tires as well? or do i need a different one? cause i'm removing the rear heater and replacing it with an Air compressor for the tires & locker if i can.

any help would be great!
Glad you got a good price on the LSD as it won't fit the front anyway.
Best ARB price is PORC http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/
Yes you can fill tires with the compressor IF you get the full size compressor, not the compact one. The word is that it is a bit slow but will work ( I don't know from personal experience)

Front LSD best bet is a truetrac. No clutches to wear out, solid history from a well known company. Let me go noodle around for part numbers. IIRC it makes a difference wether you have manual hubs or not.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

thanks for the info! i still have auto lock hubs or ADD.
and part numbers woul be fantastic, cause i could be on google all day going from place to place looking for the best price, but why not ask people who have experiance right!
thanks in advance
Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 AM

I think I was wrong about different parts. Eaton only lists one # for the 7.5 " diff in this pdf. http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ.../ct_128482.pdf

I think I was remembering reference to manual hubs in this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f11/...rac-lsd-96161/

But now that I re-read it I think Jim was just clarifying the fact that with manual hubs his part had seen very little actual work.

Part # 911A342
Old 12-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Keep in mind you might save on combined shipping as well. The main cost is getting that first item sent and subsequent items add very little to the total shipping cost. So a 5-10 dollar price difference may not mean all that much if you have to pay 2 shipping charges.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

thanks again for your help. it's greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:38 PM

No problem. Here are links to that stuff over at PORC. At least gives you a baseline to compare against.

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....roducts_id=911
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....roducts_id=193
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....roducts_id=196
Old 12-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

don't i have the 7.5" rear diff?????????????

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 12-22-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:02 PM

I don't think so, but being a Surf and in another country, you are starting to get into stuff I don't know about. Might want to wait for someone else to chime in here. In the meantime, the ARB for a 7.5 is the RD90 and here is a link to their international application pdf.
http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215109.pdf
Old 12-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

well, what do stock 90-95 4runners have? cause when i bought my Surf, everything was basiclly NEW, i guess she(previous owner was 1st owner) was in a big accident. so she replaced ALMOST EVERYTHING!!!!! i was under the impression that they had a 7.5" rear? cause why not just get a factory e-locker from a 3rd gen? i guess i don't ask the right questions when i bought my Surf

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 12-22-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:25 PM

Stock 90-95 runners are 8 inch rear diff and 7.5 front diff. The elocker is certainly a possibility but will require axle housing modification like so:
http://www.sonoransteel.com/phong/re...ic_locker.html
Old 12-25-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello

I got my front truetrac LSD from PORC.
I think is good to order the master install kit too ...
I had factory LSD in the rear, but was worn out, so i put a Truetrac LSD in rear.
What can i say ....in snow is fantastic....
I'm happy with truetrac LSD front+rear combo.

Regards
Zoli
Old 12-25-2007, 08:44 AM

just be warned buying from PORC. their shipping sucks balls, it only took them 4 tries to get my order right.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by notanymore
just be warned buying from PORC. their shipping sucks balls, it only took them 4 tries to get my order right.
That was not my experience. Right item the first time in a timely manner.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:12 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're doing an ARB in the rear, why don't you do one in the front? LSD's are aggravating as hell offroad IMHO - especially on an IFS where you will have tires off the ground!

Look around for package deals - I am willing to bet you could do front/rear ARB's for what front TruTrac/rear ARB is gonna cost.

I would check out 4WheelParts - there are some cost advantages to their bulk buying power. You're buying name brand stuff from a company well known for their customer service (ARB), so all the negative things people say about 4WP won't apply to this purchase too much.

Also, this is the time to regear if you are looking at bigger tires!
Old 12-25-2007, 01:01 PM

i just wouldnt put any kind of auto locker in the front diff, turning is going to be a nightmare on anything but mud. if you can only afford an automatic and an arb, then put the arb up front, and the lunchbox in the rear. LSDs that are true limited slip (like what would come in a muscle car) are useless offroad, you need something that mechanically locks, not a clutch or other.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:11 PM

I have had a lockright in the front axle of my truck for a couple months now, and I assure you that I am able to turn my truck while the front hubs are locked and in 4 wheel drive. I was even able to drive through the tight trees and in the rocks that we have here in WA.

Originally Posted by seanz0rz
i just wouldnt put any kind of auto locker in the front diff, turning is going to be a nightmare on anything but mud. if you can only afford an automatic and an arb, then put the arb up front, and the lunchbox in the rear. LSDs that are true limited slip (like what would come in a muscle car) are useless offroad, you need something that mechanically locks, not a clutch or other.