86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Inexpensive Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inexpensive Upgrades

I am looking for some inexpensive things to do to my truck, I am still a highschool student, and I am trying to save some money for college, but I want to do some things that actually have a purpose. I was thinking BJ spacers, so that I can lower my T-Bars, and some new shackles so that I can remove the lift blocks, what would you suggest?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
search deckplate and isr mods
Old 01-22-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
search deckplate and isr mods
ISR? On a 22re?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:45 PM

The 22RE really needs some sort of cold air intake.. Intake temps with the stock air box intake are actually pretty high... Try to build something that won't suck up water, doesn't impact air flow and is cheap..

Outside of that, advance your timing just a bit...
Old 01-22-2007, 09:07 PM

Try swapping your Airbox and battery locations. It really shortens up the path from the filter to the throttle body, and it means the air isn't running across a hot engine.

I liked my BJ spacers, easy instal, not overly costly, and I didn't need to crank the t-bars.

As for shackles...I hate blocks, nuf said.

If you're looking for more fun on the Daily Drive, mabey a new EB stick? something like their 268 cam. Same price as BJ spacers, and you don't need to be offroad to take advantage of it.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
how bout one of these Clicky and a trueflow filter
Old 01-22-2007, 09:43 PM

Make sure your rig is in top shape?

Headers, exhaust. TRD Stage 1 Cams. Metal Timing Chain guides. Synthetic Oil. Synthetic gear lubes in your tranny, transfer case, & front/rear diffs.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:42 PM

Ok inexpensive mods...lets see:

1.) Replace the dome light with an inexpensive LED blue light. The blue light will appear as a bright white and really lighten up the cab on dark nights. I paid $2.99 for 2 lights at Autozone here. HUGE Difference. I'll get part numbers and pic's in desired.

2.) I also agree about the cold air intake. Swapping the battery and intake will help, but then use a cone filter and you should be in good shape. Also the LC Engineering router is top notch but a little pricey for the gains if still in high school. Definitely remember it though.

3.) Swap out the bench for some Junk Yard buckets!!! In my opinion even cheap buckets offer better comfort and support than the stock bench. I found Eclipse Buckets for $50 for the pair in near perfect shape!

4.) BJ Spacers and shackles would be a good call. Relieve the T-Bars, remove the blocks and bam...better ride quaity.

5.) In addition to number 4, I saw nowhere any mention of the shock's. New shocks can bring a new level of ride quality back that either you are missing or never new you had.

Good luck!
-=Morphine=-
Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Morphine

1.) Replace the dome light with an inexpensive LED blue light. The blue light will appear as a bright white and really lighten up the cab on dark nights. I paid $2.99 for 2 lights at Autozone here. HUGE Difference. I'll get part numbers and pic's in desired.
I'd like to see those pics.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
ISR? On a 22re?
lol whoops. didn't notice the engine in his sig. yesterday was a long day.

im pretty sure theres a thread on here about cheap mods with a lot of good info
Old 01-23-2007, 06:54 AM

2.) I also agree about the cold air intake. Swapping the battery and intake will help, but then use a cone filter and you should be in good shape. Also the LC Engineering router is top notch but a little pricey for the gains if still in high school. Definitely remember it though.

Good luck!
-=Morphine=-
Where can you get those short intakes to switch the battery and intake? I haven't seen them around.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:31 AM

-=Morphine=-

i would also like to see pictures, i am trying to find the best/better way to brighten up my cab at night.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

a good cheap mod is to extend your diff breathers if you haven't already. It cost me all of about $10 per axle.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f129/rear-differential-breather-mod-75747/
Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jsnby
a good cheap mod is to extend your diff breathers if you haven't already. It cost me all of about $10 per axle.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75747
Yes that's a good one. Also how about FREE. Undo the lift that is on your truck now. Your 30's should fit at stock height. Most agree that the rear blocks are junk and the cranked t bars only decrease your trucks capability. You can stay with the stock gearing with the 30's and save some dough that way. Take all the money you would have spent piddling around the edges and spend it on a rear Aussie and armor. I wish I had known this when I started out. All the mods I have are fine, but they really don't get me anywhere. My limiting factor is always traction, not clearance. I've spent a fair bit of dough and I'm still not locked (a situation I intend to remedy as soon as Aussie locker's for my app come off backorder) It doesn't have as much cool factor to look at but it will likely be your favorite mod. I would also echo what Coednaked said about making sure all the basics are in good shape too.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Where can you get those short intakes to switch the battery and intake? I haven't seen them around.
Check the pic in this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f130/22re-engine-performance-mods-75172/

Looks like maybe he just used a section of the existing setup.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks everybody, these are some good ideas...keep them comming

Bill, thanks, you dont evenunderstand how bad the ride on my truck is...

Elton, thanks, I have been looking for another intake tube like that for some time now!! Finally someone has made one!! The stock one just looks restrictive!

Morphine, I would really like to see that too, get some pics up here...the stock dome light is so dim, I find myself using my cellphone to look for things! I would love some buckets, but I am getting my seat reupholstered for my birthday, cause it is pretty bad. I am thinking BJ spacers and new shackles, for shackles who would you suggest? I think I am going to replace my shocks too!

Jsnby, yeah I was planning on doing this, I just keep forgeting how easy it is!! haha

BLKNBLU, Thanks, I like the height my truck sits at now, I dont really want it to be any lower, But I really would like a locker in my truck, I was thinking of a lunch box locker for a while, you know for the easy stuff, I dont do much offroading, mainly because there is nowhere to go, but this would help me a lot!!

Coednaked, the truck runs great, besides a little bit of oil (okay, a lot of oil burning) but it doesnt miss or anything. I am going to UTI, this summer, and the yota is going to come with me, but its not going to be my daily driver. I will be getting another car, and once I graduate I plan on rebuilding the whole motor myself. So thats all planned out!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:12 PM

Ok, I'm loading the pics to my server. I'll post a few snapshots here but will provide a link to my directory where they are hosted. It was a lot harder to get a comparison picture of the lights than I thought so I just took a bunch of pictures with the Blue Dome, Red Dome, and stock dome light in place. For those on Dial up I included the images already resized to 800x600, these are designated (medium), the full size images are each 2592x1944.

If you need an explanation of the different angles I will do so but just comparing the glow you should be able to see a difference. If someone knows how to get better pics of the lights please share as I will take more/better pics. I'm using a Canon SD450 Digi cam5.0 megapixel.

For Clarification THESE ARE NOT TRUELY LED's BUT BRIGHTER BULBS THAN THE STOCK DOMES. THESE GET CONSIDERED AS A "POOR MAN'S LED LIGHT!!! I used the term LED incorrectly here, sorry. But still for $2.99 there is a HUGE difference!

Lights are:
Xtreme Lites "Blazer" 3175P for the Red's
Xtreme Lites "Blazer" 3175NB for the Blue's
And a stock Sylvania 3175 dome replacement

Main Directory:
http://www.thenetworksdown.com/toyota/

Blue LED's

http://www.thenetworksdown.com/toyota/Blue%20LED/

Red LED's

http://www.thenetworksdown.com/toyota/Red%20LED/

Stock Dome

http://www.thenetworksdown.com/toyota/Stock%20Dome/

PS:: Please no critiquing of the site if you start browsing...This is my test bed server for testing HTML and other web based items.

-=Morphine=-

Last edited by Morphine; 01-23-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:08 AM

morph looks good. thanks for the pics
Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the pics...I am going to pick one of those up on the way home from work today, I had always looked at those, but I didnt want it to look like I was trying to make my truck a ricer!!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

why do you need 2" of lift to run 30's? or 31's if you plan on that? I say just ditch blocks and lower the T-bars. Go to a muffler shop and see what kind of deal they can work you on a muffler. I bought mine used for like 30 bucks and I think 20 to put it on....and that was with a new tailpipe too.

A header is a few hundred bucks, but something that will be effective, and you should be able to put it on yourself.

Cam is pretty cheap, but harder to install

Synth gear oils are expensive, but I've heard increase mileage.....I priced it at around 60-70 bucks for enough 75w90 to do the tranny, t-case, and both diffs. That is with Mobil 1 gear oil.

I used a roll on liner in my interior because carpet sucks. That was pretty cheap, but takes some time to do it right.

Armor can be cheap or expensive. I like ARB and TJM style bumpers over tubular ones......f/r bumpers and sliders of any kind would be adequate.

Doing the shifter bushing replacement thing....whatever that entails isn't to expensive and I've been needing to do it myself.

other than that, just make sure you tune up often enough. And save as much money as possible.

If you're paying for your own college, disregard everything I said, and save all your money. don't spend it on anything you don't absolutley have to have.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Upgrades