Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Increasing turning radius on 89 extended cab??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Increasing turning radius on 89 extended cab??

Recently replaced my worn out turn stops with an ebay product that is absolutely wonderful. Now that I've gone hunting, I really am noticing the horrible turning radius this little truck has. It's worse than an F350 long bed crew cab. Seems like the turn stops are just about all the way out. I want to turn them in some to pick up more radius but I'm wanting to know what to look for so I don't go too far. Other than obvious rubbing of the tires (which they won't), what should I be looking for with the steering binding up or something like that? I want to SAFELY get as much as I can. Thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
That's just how these trucks are. The standard cabs are pretty bad, so your X-tra cab is probably even worse.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dubs89truck
Recently replaced my worn out turn stops with an ebay product that is absolutely wonderful.
Do you have the ebay link so I/we can see them?

Disregard link, these are ridiculously overpriced.

Last edited by ksti; 09-05-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Increasing your turning radius is easy; don't turn the wheel as far.

I'm guessing you want to decrease your turning radius. Of course, the turning radius is "designed in" at an early stage of development. While I wasn't there, I expect the engineers tried to carefully balance turning force, tire scrub, tip over, and other factors. If you want to re-engineer your truck, you should test it carefully.

As for me, I expect my truck to be, well, a truck. If I want to park (easily) in the City, I take the car.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
Increasing your turning radius is easy; don't turn the wheel as far.

I'm guessing you want to decrease your turning radius. Of course, the turning radius is "designed in" at an early stage of development. While I wasn't there, I expect the engineers tried to carefully balance turning force, tire scrub, tip over, and other factors. If you want to re-engineer your truck, you should test it carefully.

As for me, I expect my truck to be, well, a truck. If I want to park (easily) in the City, I take the car.
^^ I agree.

Don't think of the large turning radius as a shortfall. Think of it as a challenge!

You will be really good at multi-point turns!

Old 09-06-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Do you have stock wheels/tires? If you have more negative offset wheels to compensate for larger tires, this will decrease your turning radius slightly. I noticed it on my xcab for sure when I swapped wheels/tires because now I was about 6" wider up front.

As for the steering stops -- did you get the THICK version? I remember years ago there was a source on eBay with grey colored steering stops that were supposed to last longer....because they were extra thick.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I guess it comes down to what one is used to I think these little pick ups and 4Runners get around quite easy .

To me they are the smallest vehicles I drive try parallel parking a 65' tractor trailer