Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ignition woes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ignition woes.

so my trucks been acting up for a little while it seemed like it was missing but i couldn't find anything wrong. so i searched on yota tech and heard valves or timing could be off so i had the valves adjusted and the timing checked. i expected both to be off cuz i did the timing by ear. turns out I'm a good guess and timing was right on and valves were only slightly off but the guy said i definitely had a miss. so I start by new spark plugs and wires. runs fabulous for a couple of days then starts missing again and then it starts missing so bad it can't really even drive. so I go through the wires again and look for anything that would make it miss. so I then proceed to put a new rotor on it. I'm taking that back today cuz now it has a loud zap sound so i think that's bent. I'll just clean the old one and use that. so now i still have a huge miss and no idea what's wrong. I'm gonna replace the cap today and see if that does it and hope that it isn't my coil or something. If this sounds familiar to anyone please give me ideas. I'm getting kinda stressed over this cuz this is my dd and my baby. I also am gonna have to drive my wife to work and then drive 40 minutes the other direction so i can make it to work. we both start at 7:30 so she usually has to sit outside in the cold and wait for everyone else to get there.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You are going in the right direction with changing the cheap stuff over first. Two things
1. search key words 22re rough running, miss, stumble, ect. this topic is covered quit a bit here.
2. check out 4crawler's site. Roger is a sharp guy and on his site covers a lot of what you are talking about. He also gives ways to test components related to your issues. I.E. AFM, TPS, fuel pump diagnostics.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotalucas
so my trucks been acting up for a little while it seemed like it was missing but i couldn't find anything wrong. so i searched on yota tech and heard valves or timing could be off so i had the valves adjusted and the timing checked. i expected both to be off cuz i did the timing by ear. turns out I'm a good guess and timing was right on and valves were only slightly off but the guy said i definitely had a miss. so I start by new spark plugs and wires. runs fabulous for a couple of days then starts missing again and then it starts missing so bad it can't really even drive. so I go through the wires again and look for anything that would make it miss. so I then proceed to put a new rotor on it. I'm taking that back today cuz now it has a loud zap sound so i think that's bent. I'll just clean the old one and use that. so now i still have a huge miss and no idea what's wrong. I'm gonna replace the cap today and see if that does it and hope that it isn't my coil or something. If this sounds familiar to anyone please give me ideas. I'm getting kinda stressed over this cuz this is my dd and my baby. I also am gonna have to drive my wife to work and then drive 40 minutes the other direction so i can make it to work. we both start at 7:30 so she usually has to sit outside in the cold and wait for everyone else to get there.
This link was a tremendous help to me when troubleshooting it is for the 22R-E http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...e/troubles.pdf
Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How do the 'new' plugs look now? Any evidence of carbon fouling? What are the gaps set at?
How's your coil?