Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Iffy idle and start

Old 04-24-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iffy idle and start

Hey guys my 86 22re runner likes to die after you review it up or drive it and let off the gas. You can get it to idle if you hold it about 1000 for a sec before letting off, but in stop and go traffic it just constantly wants to die. With starting the relay clicks but sometimes that's it, but I can jump it at the starter every single time and always starts. There another piece of the wiring I'm ignoring to check? Thanks
Old 04-24-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
On idle issue, I'd first check that your idle adjustment screw is set correctly. It is on top of throttle body. Adjust it to set your idle, 750 I believe is factory spec.

If that doesn't help, you might have vac leavk.

On starter problem, I'd first check all connections from battery to starter and grounds. If that all looks good there are 2 other problem areas. First is that many of these Toyotas need a wiring fix, aka RAD4runners starter relay fix. Other thing could be worn starter contacts. Contacts require you to remove starter, so I'd consider that last.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
On idle issue, I'd first check that your idle adjustment screw is set correctly. It is on top of throttle body. Adjust it to set your idle, 750 I believe is factory spec.

If that doesn't help, you might have vac leavk.

On starter problem, I'd first check all connections from battery to starter and grounds. If that all looks good there are 2 other problem areas. First is that many of these Toyotas need a wiring fix, aka RAD4runners starter relay fix. Other thing could be worn starter contacts. Contacts require you to remove starter, so I'd consider that last.
The vacuum leak is very possible, I have been able to find anything obvious. Long story short this truck was owned by someone that shouldn't have owner it, Chevy squarebody rear springs ( I did the correct 63 swap since I got it) the right rear brake line is gone and there isn't even a brake cylinder in the drum, left side looks like it's got all 300k miles on it. So essentially no rear brakes, the headlight switch was broken so you had to twist wires to turn on the headlights and had no turn signals (first thing I fixed) had a ghetto push button start, the rear hatch window switch was spliced to a double on switch and shoved to the dash since someone took the console out. There's more but yea that's my rant lol. Anyways yea I'll check the idle screw, I got the truck with no vacuum lines hooked up, I just hooked up the decel and the power steering decel lines but I still have to follow diagrams and hook everything else up hence why I think a leak is possible. And the starter I have never heard of the rad fix I'll look into it
Old 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM

So I think I found my idle issue, I have a really nasty exhaust leak right at my header flange which is less than an inch or so from my o2 sensor. Hence why as the leak got worse so did my idle issue. This explains why if I am driving and then let off it dies, but if I hold it around idle and then let off it idles fine. I believe it's throwing the O2 way off, going to see about fixing that first and go from there.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:08 AM

Idle ended up being that I had to raise the idle a little, idles perfect just under 900 and hasn't died once since.