Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

idle adjustment screw?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when you figure this out let us know what the poblem was. im having the same issue and it causes the iddle to surge when i hit the brakes. super annoying lol
Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
why do people mess with that idle screw, there is absolutely no reason that screw that is practically locked will cause any change in idle.
Originally Posted by YODAIII
The idle screw will start to vibrate loose over time. Then you have to mess with it! Once the o-ring gets hard then it shrinks and no longer holds the screw in its correct place.
No, you don't get what he's saying. He's talking about the throttle stop screw. You're talking about the idle speed adjusting screw. Two entirely different things. The throttle stop screw is practically locked into place with a nut, and shouldn't ever need adjusted. Though it can be if needed. Continual use might necessitate it because of wear to the contact areas of the parts involved(a long shot). Or if the throttle valve becomes caked with crud to the point that it won't shut all the way, in which case it should be cleaned instead to solve that issue. But it certainly won't ever vibrate loose, unless the nut wasn't tightened properly from a previous adjustment attempt. Under ordinary circumstances though, that's not going to happen. I have a hard time believing that the idle speed adjusting screw could vibrate loose either. Mine never has, not even when the o-ring was shot before I replaced it. Neither one is going anywhere without someone fiddling with them.

22RE throttle stop screw

22RE & 3VZE idle speed adjusting screw

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-30-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
right, but.. unless you've done something like change intakes, cams, headers, exhaust, timing etc etc and it caused an idle change, there really should not be any reason whatsoever you should have to touch either one. Oh all of a sudden my idle changed and people telling others mess with the speed screw or stop screw, it's ridiculous.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If it's done it since he has owned it and hasn't got an idea as to the problem I would check to make sure everything is to spec as per Factory Service Manual. Who knows what the previous owner messed with, he could have messed with the idle stop screw or loads of other idle changing things.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
right, but.. unless you've done something like change intakes, cams, headers, exhaust, timing etc etc and it caused an idle change, there really should not be any reason whatsoever you should have to touch either one. Oh all of a sudden my idle changed and people telling others mess with the speed screw or stop screw, it's ridiculous.
Well, unless, like he says, they've been fooled with prior and need corrected. Which could be the case with either(but probably not in this case, which is almost certainly due to a vacuum leak BTW).

Or, in the case of the idle speed adjusting screw, the o-ring is damaged/cracked/shrunk and is leaking air into the by-pass circuit. In which case you should replace the o-ring and re-adjust the idle speed. Or, if the by-pass circuit becomes partially clogged. In which case you should remove the idle speed adjusting screw, clean it and the by-pass circuit with carb cleaner, then replace the screw and re-adjust the idle speed. Of course you could, in both instances, get away with not fixing the real problem, and just making the necessary idle speed adjustments with the screw. For a short while possibly anyway.

Either of those reasons(o-ring or blockage), or any of the reasons you've provided, are why the idle speed adjusting screw isn't capped at the factory(like the idle mixture adjusting screw on the VAFM is), and the instructions are provided in the FSM on how to adjust it(and aren't provided in the FSM for the idle mixture adjusting screw, which is never meant to be adjusted).

Why is this so?

Because these engines aren't equipped with an ISC(Idle Speed Control)system by which the ECU is in total control of the idle speed while the engine is at operating temps. So that's the only way to correct the idle speed if it were necessary to do so, for whatever reason(be it real or imagined). The IACV(Idle Air Control Valve)/auxillary air valve only raises the idle untill operating temperature is achieved. And the A/C idle-up valve or throttle opener, if equipped, is only used to raise the idle speed when the A/C is in use. Neither of which does the ECU have control over. The IACV/auxillary air valve is controlled by the coolant temperature, and the A/C idle-up valve or throttle opener is controlled by the A/C amplifier module. There's also a power steering idle-up valve, which is controlled by the pressure of the fluid in the power steering pump housing.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-30-2011 at 02:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Yoda0007 (05-16-2020)
Old 01-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somewhat on topic....

... how do you adjust fast idle speed then ??
Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 PM

You don't, or rather, you can't. That's a function of the IACV only, which is entirely unadjustable. That's why the instructions for setting the slow idle speed say to do so after the engine has reached normal operating temperature. So that the IACV will have no affect on it, as it's fully closed once the engine warms up.

Base/intital ignition timing might have a small affect on it, but it will have a larger affect on the slow idle speed. So by resetting the slow idle speed(with the idle speed adjusting screw)after a change in base/initial ignition timing, the fast idle speed will also be corrected equally.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-30-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by corax
when the thing is acting up and idling high try pushing the throttle body closed manually (under the hood) to see if your idle goes back to normal. On the 22RE's, it's fairly common for the throttle body dashpot to start sticking. This can also sometimes cause a TPS code to pop up since it prevents the throttle from closing all the way (ECU sees the "throttle closed" terminals never make contact and assumes a TPS problem, hence the code). I've always just removed the dashpot completely (2 philips screws) with no ill effects, some people say you can clean and lube it to make it work properly

Originally Posted by 4crawler

LINK
Notes:
Dash Pot:
The GREEN CIRCLE shows the dash pot (DP) which is there to slow the closing of the throttle to prevent backfiring. It consists of the round air bellows, a spring loaded plunger, and the air vent line that attaches to the fitting at the base of the bellows. The vent line has a check valve in-line and an air filter to keep dirt out. The check valve lets air into the bellows then the throttle opens and extends the plunger. When the throttle closes, the stop screw contacts the plunger and pushes it in. The check valve closes to slow the air escaping the bellows and thus slow the closing of the throttle.
To troubleshoot the DP, make sure the air filter is clean and make sure the check valve is not clogged or stuck open. You should be able to blow air into the bottom easily (filling the bellows) but it should be hard to suck air out. Both the filter and valve can probably be cleaned with a mild solvent. Also, the plunger can stick. I find a shot of silicone spray applied to it periodically helps keep it moving freely. Lube it the push it in and out fully a few times to work the lubricant down into the plunger. And you can simpy back the adjuster screw all the way back to keep it from contacting the throttle linkage as a test. This way it is eliminated from affecting the throttle operation, in case you think it may be causing a problem.
To adjust the DP, I find setting the stop screw to depress the plunger about 1/2 of it's travel works well. If set too deep, you have more spring force to overcome and that can cause the throttle to not fully close. Too shallow and the DP can't really do it's job.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:02 PM

I suppose a quick check for a code 51 would all but rule out that possibility. Maybe not entirely, so a thorough check of the functionality of the DP would also be in order.

Pages EG1-198 & EG1-199: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34throttle.pdf

I removed the DP on my 3VZE once. BAD IDEA!!! Engine did not like that one bit. Damn thing bucked and heaved like a raging bull! Every time I let off the gas and then got back on it at slow speeds the thing bucked and jerked so hard it almost gave me whiplash. So I put it back on...won't do that again.

Might be different with a 22RE, though I don't see how.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy

I suppose a quick check for a code 51 would all but rule out that possibility. Maybe not entirely, so a thorough check of the functionality of the DP would also be in order.

Pages EG1-198 & EG1-199: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34throttle.pdf

I removed the DP on my 3VZE once. BAD IDEA!!! Engine did not like that one bit. Damn thing bucked and heaved like a raging bull! Every time I let off the gas and then got back on it at slow speeds the thing bucked and jerked so hard it almost gave me whiplash. So I put it back on...won't do that again.

Might be different with a 22RE, though I don't see how.
Real easy check, don't even have to pull codes. Just try to push to the throttle linkage on the intake closed and see if the idle drops to normal. On my '88 it was acting up for weeks before it kicked a code out at me . . . pre-OBDII diagnostics just aren't that quick on flagging a code.

I don't get any bucking on my 7M without the dashpot, but i do get a very light "pop" through the exhaust on initial decel. I don't remember my 22REs even noticing that the thing was missing, but that was awhile ago and my memory might have faded a bit.

Last edited by corax; 01-30-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:17 PM

Yeah, the funny thing is mine don't work at all. By which I mean it doesn't pass the test and definitely doesn't prevent the popping in the exhaust on deceleration. That's why I figured I'd just remove it. Well...I learned real quick, broke or not, it does do something still.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-30-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 PM

Mine will cold "idle" from about 1400 up to 1900 it seems. Based on coraxes post yesterday I went and removed the dash pot....think it was hanging up a bit at times... timimg is advanced 2* from stock, doubt thats why it idles fast though . Along time ago, when sis owned the Runner, I had to play with the idle speed adjusting screw on top of the throttle body, so the A/C compressor engagement wouldn't make it rev so high like it did, maybe thats still off ??? Hot idle is fine at ~750-800~
Old 01-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You would use the A/C idle up adjustment screw (white plastic hex knob) to set the A/C fast idle:

Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-30-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 PM

Hmmm...

.... anyway that could cause my regular fast idle to be outta whack ? Then, the box behind the glove box is used to set my kick in A/C speed then ??
Old 01-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Blue 89 Runner
.... anyway that could cause my regular fast idle to be outta whack ?
No, only has an affect when the A/C is running.

Then, the box behind the glove box is used to set my kick in A/C speed then ??
That is the low RPM cutout setting. Idea is if A/C is bogging the engine down too slow, as determined by the A/C amplifier (the black box behind the glove box) then the A/C is cut off. Works in conjunction with the A/C idle up valve, which *should* bump up the idle speed w/ A/C on. But if the idle up setting is not working or is set too low and the engine bogs down, the A/C kills the A/C to keep from stalling the engine (plus A/C doesn't like to run at very slow RPM). Folks think the "RPM" knob on the black box sets the idle speed, but it does not. Ideally you set the A/C idle up to run a few hundred RPM faster than normal idle (around 1000 is a decent setting, 750-800 is normal). Then the A/C amp is set to something a bit below normal idle, say 700 or so. Then A/C will turn on at normal idle, and that will bump up the RPM to ~1000 and all is fine. If you turn the "RPM" knob too high, A/C won't come on at normal idle and you'll think something is wrong with the A/C and take it to a shop to "fix" it.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Thanks !!

For explaining that . Have a few adjustments to make !
Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue 89 Runner
Mine will cold "idle" from about 1400 up to 1900 it seems. Based on coraxes post yesterday I went and removed the dash pot....think it was hanging up a bit at times... timimg is advanced 2* from stock, doubt thats why it idles fast though . Along time ago, when sis owned the Runner, I had to play with the idle speed adjusting screw on top of the throttle body, so the A/C compressor engagement wouldn't make it rev so high like it did, maybe thats still off ??? Hot idle is fine at ~750-800~
The Auxiliary Air Valve has an adjusting nut in the back to help adjust idle speeds when cold or at least the older electrical ones do, I don't know if the newer mechanical ones do. But this is for 22re engines, I don't know about 3.0 AAV's.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM

No 3. uh -oh here, good ol' 22 RE FTW !!!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Ha, I have similiar issues...Idle is fast, timing is right, and when I hit the brakes, engine bogs down. Anyone have a good pic of this idle speed adjusting screw. I was turning the AC knob like an idiot. I have the 88 FSM so I plan to look there too.

Last edited by TJ96TLC; 02-02-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#TPSAdjustment

Quick Reply: idle adjustment screw?