86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need help with my 22re

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help with my 22re

So last year i baught me a 1994 toyota pickup, im only sixteen and dont have my license yet, but ive been fixing it up, i put a 3 inch body lift on it, and had 33 inch swampers and black steelies, i sold them and got american racing outlaw's, and 32 inch m/t's for more power, ive fixed all the body up and added alot of after market parts, last month, i was driving backroads and kinda showing off and romped it, and it started making a awful noise, i replaced alot of parts, new timing chain, new guides because a fell down in the oil pan, i put a new tentionser, new oil pump, water pump, new gaskets, when i baught it last year it was supposed to had a rebuilt head and blahh, and it looked new, but now after replacing all that, its steeling making a knocking noise in front of motor, when i start it up, 5 minutes it starts knocking, but anytime its moving and the clutch is out it dont knock, peoples said its a rod, and they could put rod bearings in it for $300, or a new motor, could i get some help on whats wrong with it please?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A video of the noise will be a giant help... have a youtube account and a smart phone?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM

If your guides were gone, it is possible, likely even, that your chain either broke, or skipped a tooth.
From there a lot of things can happen, none of them good. Broken rods, pistons, valves, etc etc.
It's hard, impossible even to figure out what it is based on a written description of "a noise"
Sorry, but if I'm frank, we are just guessing at this point, and it could cost you a lot of money chasing after guesses from people on the internet.
A video would be much more helpful, but tearing down the engine might be the only way to know for certain.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Keldon.Bragg
but anytime its moving and the clutch is out it dont knock, peoples said its a rod, and they could put rod bearings in it for $300, or a new motor, could i get some help on whats wrong with it please?
If the connecting rod was loose or damaged it would make noise the whole time loaded or not. If the noise stops under load this indicates maybe an issue with the main/crank bearings. Nothing todo but pull the pan and inspect it.

Use a stethoscope to isolate the location of the noise to get a better idea of where to look. You can fab a listening device with a long screwdriver or broomhandle, put yer thumb on one end and place to your ear area and listen around by pushing the other end on the motor.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM

I reckon ill have to pull the pan, ive replaced everything on the front of motor, new timing chain, guides, tensioner, pully's, new spark plugs, oil pump, water pump, ive replaced a ton getting peoples guesses, the noise, is a knocking, but only dose it when i push clutch in or in N,
Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Old 02-13-2013, 05:20 PM

Sounds like rod bearings to me. Rod bearings make noise when in neutral and you blip the throttle or when you accelerate hard and let off quickly.

Pull the pan and inspect the bearings and journals. If there is any ridges in the crank journals, you had might as well prepare for a rebuild. If they are as smooth as glass, you can put new bearings in. The bearings come in different sizes though, so before you drop the pan, know where you can buy .010, .020, and .030 bearings the same day unless you want to sit with your truck inoperable for days. There is absolutely no reason to open up the rods and not go ahead and change bearings. They are only about 30 a set. If you put the new ones in, go ahead and plastigage the clearance when installing as well.

To be honest, chances are if your bearings are shot, it has probably screwed up the crank. Putting in new bearings may make the motor last 100 miles or it might make it last another 5000, but a rebuild is inevitable. It may just buy you enough time to save money to afford doing the motor right.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
We can't see your facebook stuff. Attach it to the post "manage attachments" on the advanced post screen.