86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I may have ruined my throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may have ruined my throttle body?

I was working on my throttle body today 95 4runner 3.0 auto... trying to get her to idle smooth and thought there was a factory plug on top of the throttle body(silver looking plug) that I have to remove to get to the mixture screw under it.I removed the plug and there was no screw under so I said to my self my bad and covered the hole with a piece of foil tape and now the 4runner want's to die on me when idleing.I would like to know is there a replacement plug for this throttle body or is there any way to repair it?.....the screw just below it has to be adjuster almost all the way out of the housing just to keep the engine ideling
any help will be appreciated
Old 12-24-2008, 01:03 PM

you probably just made a big vacuum leak by removing that plug and the foil isnt sealing it well enough. now your just sucking in a whole slew of un-metered air and its making your motor lean out. find a better way to plug up that whole and put the adjuster screw back to where its supposed to be and im sure you will be fine.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:23 PM

apalmer1...thanks for the input and now do you have any suggestions on what to use to plug the whole
Old 12-24-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Use some silicone, but let it fully cure before you run the motor again. Otherwise, the silicone will just get sucked in and it will leak once again.

Last edited by thook; 12-24-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:12 PM

I tried the silicone and let it cure at least it felt like it was cured had been on there for 24hrs.I started up the 4runner and it sucked the silicone right into the intake plenum.I think maybe because it has been misty here for the past 24 hrs and the silicone just didn't cure inside the throttle body and there fore the vacuum just pulled it into the plenum...... so will it hurt my engine if that silicone was still wet when It got sucked in?
I also want to know if any one else has a possible fix for this problem I created
Thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 03:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
got a picture of this 'plug'?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:21 PM

Have a bottle of wine? finish the wine first then turn the cork into a plug. Thats what Mcgyver would do! maybe use a small amount of high temp glue around base for temp fix to go to toyota and get new one!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM

Thanks....I have thought about the wine bottle cork idea or what about some fast curing epoxy
Old 12-26-2008, 03:34 PM

No, it won't hurt anything. It will just burn up in the combustion chamber. I had actually dry cat food get sucked into my plenum once. It was in the air intake tubing and didn't know it when I went to reinstall it. Didn't hurt anything. Smelled a little like a Purina factory afterward, but.....

I don't know that anyone else has ever done this. I've not read about, anyway. Everyone's done something atleast as similarly whacked or MUCH worse, though.

I'd try again with the silicone, or maybe some epoxy that sets up quickly, or jb weld and a small bolt just big enough to take up most of the hole. This time do something to help keep it dry. Cover it with something and/or place a work light (75w) next to it to dry it out. And, make sure there's no grease or oil residue on the metal surface. Nothing will stick to it, otherwise.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:05 PM

thook...thanks for the input and I do feel kinda stupid removing that aluminum plug from the throttle body....I'll go to the parts store tomorrow and get something that will cure hard and quick...and will update...
Dwayne

Last edited by buckz6319; 12-26-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
JB Weld will fix it.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to the parts store and get some plastic plugs in the Help section. Easy fix.

James
Old 12-26-2008, 04:17 PM

get some sort of chunk of rubber or plastic or whatever material you feel will hold up to being used for what you are gonna use it for and make a plug for it then glue it in
Old 12-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Thanks to all for your input and I'm sure I'll find something to repair it with
Old 12-26-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
JB Weld will fix it.
x2.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:42 PM

Throttle Body Problem Solved With Help Form Yotatech Members

Thanks to all who gave me advice on how to repair my Throttle Body.I bought some Epoxy Putty fast curing and started taking off the T.B. so I could work on it easier.I removed the remaining residue of silicone from inside of the throttle body, and also scraped as much carbon off the interior walls of the plenum being careful not to scratch the side walls and used my vacuum to suck it out of the plenum.I also cleaned the inside of the throttle body and in order to put the Epoxy Putty in the hole I had to put some metal foil tape over the hole on the inside of the opening of the T.B.I then had to put my finger inside of the T.B and on the metal foil tape and with the other hand push the putty in the hole and pressing it down into the hole and trying to make it seal good on the top of the T.B.I then put a flat head screwdriver in the other opening where the idle screw was and removed the putty that was blocking the opening before it cured making it flush with the inside and then removed the metal foil tape .I then started to put the intake hose back on the T.B. but discovered that I needed to repair that also because it was fractured all the way around where the clamp was.I repaired it and put it on the T.B. and started her up and PROBLEM SOLVED ....thanks to all again I appreciate all the advice .....below is a pic of my repair
Dwayne

Last edited by buckz6319; 12-27-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:29 PM

I had to adjust the screw to raise the rpms back to FMS specs

now went for a test drive and the 4runner was idling much smoother now
thanks again
Dwayne
Old 12-27-2008, 09:57 PM

Joy!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:13 PM

Well have another problem and it started yesterday...

SORRY FOR LONG POST...my engine idles up and down and I can't pinpoint the problem....when I start the engine when cold it will idle up high like it should...but when the engine is up to operating temp the engine will idle low about 400 rpm or so and when I put the 4runner in drive the engine rpms drop even lower, starts to lope like a bad valve or spark plug or plug wire.
The engine in drive or reverse it will shutter and almost shut down if I don't raise the rpms while holding the brake
I checked the spark plug wires, spark plugs and coil and igniter and all are were checked per the FMS and found to be in good working order... BUT after checking these items while the engine was running the temp gauge went all the way over to the RED! and I don't know why?... It has never done that before.
It was so hot I could here the water bubbling in the radiator hoses and heater hoses....so I shut the engine down to cool off.I then checked the water level in the radiator and it was low so I added 50/50 and went to bed and called it a day
I got up today and started the 4runner like I do every morning let it warm up for about 20 min... also put the heat slide lever all the way to red and the blower on med fan speed. The 4runner idled just fine cold until it warmed up and then I had the same idle problem as yesterday but the engine temp was in the normal range just to the left of middle for this 4runner. I was expecting to get into a warm cab but didn't have warm air blowing out the vents just cool air but when I started driving down the road I finally got some heat blowing into the cab weird...
Well I talked to a buddy at work about my problems I was having and he said it sounds like maybe the catalytic converter causing the low idle and and the over heating?....and said that would be his guess but he's not 100% sure.
I went home today without over heating problem but the idle problem was still there....so I made it home and replaced the t-stat (180) and added more coolant 50/50.I also removed the catalytic converter and installed a stright pipe (here where I live there is no emission inspection so I can get by with the cat removed for a short period of time) .I put every thing back together and started the engine up and it ran for about 30 mins and the temp gauge was at the usual position but what was not usual was I could put my hand on the engine and it was cold to the touch. I mean I could touch the EGR pipe and just about every thing else except for the exhaust and not get burned...I did hear some water bubbling in side of the top radiator hose and it was vary hot to the touch and had to take my hand off it before I got burned.....I turned on the heat but had none just cold air..I then went for a test drive and at that point the heat started so I just went for a mile or so and came back home and still have the idle problem...I noticed some red colored stuff in the radiator looks like putty or something it's even on the underside of the radiator cap what is that?
well I'm tired of working on this 4runner so I called it a night......please any advice will much be appreciated and this 4runner has been a pain,,,,
Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check your ATF dipstick, does your ATF look like a strawberry milkshake?

Quick Reply: I may have ruined my throttle body?