Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Huge Coolant Leak

Old 09-23-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huge Coolant Leak

Hi Everyone,
As the title suggests, my 3VZ has a leak. I have read all threads that I could come across, & I can rule out the usual suspects. I have just replaced the valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets & all new hoses including the metal pipe that runs through the valley of the engine. All parts were genuine Toyota. My problem began before I had started up it for the first time. I filled the radiator & was about to start it to purge the air, & I heard all of the coolant running out from the rear of the engine, predominantly on the driver's side. Keep in mind, I am in Australia, so as I stand & face the car, the driver is on my left. My gut feeling is that it's the metal coolant pipe. Where it bolts onto the block at the front of the motor, the pipe has a groove in it & I thought that it may be for an O-ring or FIPG. The old pipe had nothing on it. I have the factory manual & there's no reference in it, or anywhere I could find, that said to put anything on it before installing. I placed my hand behind the engine & felt where the bypass is with all of the sensors,& it was dry. My guess is that the coolant is filling the valley & eventually running down the back. It's actually pouring out, the equivalent of changing the oil & not putting the drain plug back in. I can't for the life of me see where it is coming from, either on top or laying underneath getting a coolant shower! As an aside, it started first go & ran great after sitting in the garage for 18mths while I did bits at a time. Any thought would be appreciated. Whilst reading about the experiences of others, I began to sympathise with them about finishing a job & then facing having to pull it down again. I'm having that sinking feeling!!
Kind Regards,
Steve
Old 09-24-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
As you surmised SunnyCoastSteve where the coolant pipe flange attaches at the front of the block in the valley, does require FIPG.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Andy,
I'm going to try & get to it today, while it's all still fresh in my mind, the pulldown should not take too much time. Although it is nice & sunny here in Noosa, & I do have another 4WD & beer & fishing rods & I'm on holidays.....
Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-25-2017, 01:47 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
The best way I've found to find coolant leaks is to rent a radiator pressure tester from the auto parts store and pump the system up to about 20 psi. That will cause the fluid to leak through any gaps, while the fluid and engine are cool, and the belts and fan aren't moving. Much easier and safer to check things out that way.

Search this Thread