Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How hard should it be to turn the AC compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How hard should it be to turn the AC compressor?

Hey all, I am looking at replacing the bearing in my ac compressor pulley on my 3vze. The pulley spins ok but is a bit grindy sounding when i spin it by hand... and noisy as hell when the engine is running.

But when taking the pulley off i noticed the compressor is pretty hard to turn by hand. I can still manage to turn it, but not more than an 1/8 turn at a time. Ill look to get a proper torque value if i can fit my wrench up there (it is still in the truck.) It is likely the original compressor from 1989. I am afraid to ever disconnect it because it does still work and i still am running r12.

I just wanna know if compressors are usually pretty hard to turn?

Thanks

Ps still currently fighting to get the pulley off, i am going to try and make the sst 40mm m8 bolt with the end ground down. Unless i can rent one.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:08 AM

Update: I got the pressure plate and pulley off, and got my torque wrench on it. It doesn't click it at the lowest reading of 5 ftlb. So i suppose its under that. Still just wanna know if this seems normal.
Thanks
Old 09-30-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
If your ac holds refrigerant and gets cold, it's working as it should. There is absolutely nothing you could do to change any perceived tightness in the compressor, short of changing it out.

This you will have to do sooner. or later, when it stops functioning.

Replace your clutch and idle bearing and go.

Even though I have proper AC tools and clutch pullers, these repairs have seldom held up for me, and so I just change the compressor out for a new one. NOT a 'rebuilt' one.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the advice, I always figured I was nearing the end of the life of that pump. I intended to change the bearing, I was hoping to avoid having to do the clutch as it was functioning ok before I took it apart. I was just changing the bearing due to the noise hoping to get a bit further before I have to take it down that far.

I’ll probably start looking for a new compressor for the next time I have it torn down that far. That and one of the r12 replacements.