Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How the *$%# do I repair this??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How the *$%# do I repair this??

I was checking on the spare under the truck and looked over and noticed where the tube brace that is welded to both sides of the frame has rotted thru (pix below). How on earth do I fix this? Get someone to cut out the bad section and weld in a new one, or should the whole thing be replaced? The gas tank is attached to it as well. What do you guys think this repair should cost?? This is the last thing I needed to see.. I have already dropped more $$ into this truck then I should have...

Old 10-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

I'd persaonlly just cut out the bad section and weld in a new section. I don't know what I shop would charge but if you lived near me I'd do it for $20 but a fab shop will probably want to charge you for at least an hours worth of work.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just cut out and replace. you could bring in the new section to a shop and have them weld it in for you. Any custom work like this your just going to have to go down and talk to a shop if you want one to do it for you and see how much they would charge. It looks bad but really it could be so much worse.

Relax a bit I dont think this is going to cost you an arm and a leg or anywere near it
Old 10-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
That is a hollow tube cross member. Just cut out the bad section, sleeve the new section and drill holes for some rosette welds and weld it in. Pretty straight forward repair.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:32 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That doesn't look that bad - looks like some surface rust has expanded peeling the paint back.

Wire brush it, check out the REAL damage, and let's go from there. From the looks of it, some wire brush time, a little paint, and it's all good.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by tc
That doesn't look that bad - looks like some surface rust has expanded peeling the paint back.

Wire brush it, check out the REAL damage, and let's go from there. From the looks of it, some wire brush time, a little paint, and it's all good.
+1, doesn't look that bad.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, that looks simple. Cut, sleeve and weld. Better than new
Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hehe, mine is rusted in the exact same spot. Not that bad, but a few whacks with a screwdriver showed it was rusted through...
Old 10-06-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by tc

+1 It doesnt look to bad but if it is, cut it out an weld a new section in if you wanna keep it economical. My friend cut his entire brace out and welded in a brand new 2" tube steel piece in, mind you his stocker was there for display purposes only, lol I think the cheese grater of a box (on it at the time) did more for structural integrity.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
aw comon man, just slap sum duck-tape over that some-beach

I know, I know... how in the hell has my truck lasted almost 300k, right, lol

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-06-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
That is a hollow tube cross member. Just cut out the bad section, sleeve the new section and drill holes for some rosette welds and weld it in. Pretty straight forward repair.

Woulden't that allow moisture and dirt inside Wab?

I guess my question would then be.. Don't I have to remove the bed to be able to allow access to weld the top part of the sleeve, so that no dirt, mud etc, can get in there again, collect and rot out the repair.. The area you see is more open then it look's.. I can see up into the brace thru the hole, so that section is pretty much shot. I'd just like to make sure whatever I do lasts.

I by the way, I appreceate the input guys!!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clean off the surface rust, then fill the tube with rust bullet and rolled the truck down a hill so it coats the inside of the crossmember... then go about fixing the resulting body damage.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just wanted to bump this thread. I wired up my buddys aux lights on his ranger, so he is gonna do a little fab work for me.

I want to repair the rust on this crossmember. Best idea?

Its rusted in the center, on the bottom for a few inches. Not much. Cut and sleeve? Or should we cut the whole crossmember out and weld in a fresh peice?