Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to break my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say 4lo, rev to redline and move from neutral to drive. If no breakage, repeat.

Sand would clog the filter and reduce line pressure to the bands, causing no movement at all.

The only thing you will accomplish by doing Drives to Park is breaking your parking pawl, which is in the transfer case anyways.

The reverse to drive, or vise versa, will only work with no throttle lift on gear changes...
Old 01-06-2009, 05:06 PM

oh, and video
Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hayes must've read the book.....hahaha.

That, or wrote it.......

Yeah, video or shame!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 PM

We need video!!!!! That way you can send it to Top Gear, and they can show it right after the "How to kill a Toyota Truck" episodes.......lol
Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 PM

wrote, for informational purposes only. The inside cover says, and I will quote myself here, "All of the stunts performed in the photographs displayed in this book were performed by professionals. Please DO NOT attempt these at home."
Old 01-06-2009, 05:18 PM

no video= it didnt happen
Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Hayes
wrote, for informational purposes only. The inside cover says, and I will quote myself here, "All of the stunts performed in the photographs displayed in this book were performed by professionals. Please DO NOT attempt these at home."
I think that exempts 91toyota automatically. He's a professional dummy!

Last edited by thook; 01-06-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was trying to gear down the tranny while hauling heavy stuff as my breaks were shot in my 1989 2wd auto pickup, I hit a bump and because my shocks were dead a little bump caused me to accidentally shift from D to R going about 20. The tires just chirped, nothing dramatic before I was able to shift back to N. The tranny continued to work well for the rest of the time I had it.

Video or it didn't happen. No coffee for the camera man. I HATE bouncy videos.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:34 PM

i say find your self a decent little hill.. or a large one will work even better. drive up the hill, stop, place in neutral, have a friend give you a push, let it roll back ward until you start to get some what worried and slam it from neutral to drive lol make sure your givein her some throttle.. that should work.. in high school we had a "project car" in our shop and it more or less turned in to a "rally wagon".. it was a mid 80s subaru.. i built some a sweet straigt header that stuck up through the hood and we ended up blowin up the tranny in the parkin lot doin neutral drops...you may want to put a piece of metal or a heavy piece of canvas down on the floor, you may get lucky and
have one of thoes "catastrophic failures".. i doubt a toyota tranny would fail that bad but iv seen some come apart at the drag stip before..
Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna
i say find your self a decent little hill.. or a large one will work even better. drive up the hill, stop, place in neutral, have a friend give you a push, let it roll back ward until you start to get some what worried and slam it from neutral to drive lol make sure your givein her some throttle.. that should work.. in high school we had a "project car" in our shop and it more or less turned in to a "rally wagon".. it was a mid 80s subaru.. i built some a sweet straigt header that stuck up through the hood and we ended up blowin up the tranny in the parkin lot doin neutral drops...you may want to put a piece of metal or a heavy piece of canvas down on the floor, you may get lucky and
have one of thoes "catastrophic failures".. i doubt a toyota tranny would fail that bad but iv seen some come apart at the drag stip before..
N drops in a AWD. nice
Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 PM

lol...well I decided against doing this for several reasons. One, u-joints are shot. Two, tags are expired (8 years now!), and I have no insurance and I saw a cop while I was about to drive on the street. So, I started my manual swap. If anyone wants a free auto tranny they can have it. Oh, and the fluid that came out was black, not red. lol
Old 01-06-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Probably a good thing you didn't try this. It is a Toyota tranny after all and you can't really kill em. They tend to die by themselves a few miles from the house. I think these things have a sense of humor machined into them.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Probably a good thing you didn't try this. It is a Toyota tranny after all and you can't really kill em. They tend to die by themselves a few miles from the house. I think these things have a sense of humor machined into them.
the engines do too... hard to kill them yourself, but they'll blow head gaskets or eat timing chains at just the right times to make you think they're laughing at you
Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
the engines do too... hard to kill them yourself, but they'll blow head gaskets or eat timing chains at just the right times to make you think they're laughing at you
I feel there is a tale or two to be told here Oz........
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with my HG it didnt blow until i couldnt AFFORD for it to go. seemed to decide that since i was having hard times, it would blow. unfortunately, for it, my dads mechanic fixed it and had the head machined (his son owns a machine shop) and i was driving it a week later. so, obviously pissed, the truck decided to eat its 4th gear syncros... lol. it is now in the shop getting a low mileage tranny from my mechanic up the street.. will have it back in 2-3 days.
and i know bout the timing chains for one simple reason: has anyone EVER had the timing chain screw up at the PERFECT time??? lol guys back east and up in the snowy wastelands we call canada know what im talkin bout... having to wrench on it in -40F temps... lol. they pick the best times to die as if to laugh at you.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
with my HG it didnt blow until i couldnt AFFORD for it to go. seemed to decide that since i was having hard times, it would blow. unfortunately, for it, my dads mechanic fixed it and had the head machined (his son owns a machine shop) and i was driving it a week later. so, obviously pissed, the truck decided to eat its 4th gear syncros... lol. it is now in the shop getting a low mileage tranny from my mechanic up the street.. will have it back in 2-3 days.
and i know bout the timing chains for one simple reason: has anyone EVER had the timing chain screw up at the PERFECT time??? lol guys back east and up in the snowy wastelands we call canada know what im talkin bout... having to wrench on it in -40F temps... lol. they pick the best times to die as if to laugh at you.
My Jeep ate the bullet as I was driving it to a dealership to get my Mustang, lol, talked about pissed...

I had to call the guy at the dealership and explain to him why I was going to be just a little bit late, lmao
Old 01-06-2009, 08:02 PM

neutral slams are a good way to break stuff
Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
My Jeep ate the bullet as I was driving it to a dealership to get my Mustang, lol, talked about pissed...

I had to call the guy at the dealership and explain to him why I was going to be just a little bit late, lmao
*laugh* I was on the way to pick up a canister filter elimination kit that was stuck at the USPS in my diesel Scout and a block from the station the damn canister split and dumped oil all over the place. I think the Scout was mad at me for upgrading something that was a mistake to begin with.

Vehicles are like women...... as soon as you decide to upgrade them a little they just dump all over you.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
EDIT, oops didnt see there were more pages...

Last edited by toylocost; 01-06-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by swapped89
neutral slams are a good way to break stuff
my 2000 Mustang withstood a lot of them

of coarse I'm willing to bet it didn't have as many miles on it as the OP's trans does, lol

Originally Posted by Junkers88
*laugh* I was on the way to pick up a canister filter elimination kit that was stuck at the USPS in my diesel Scout and a block from the station the damn canister split and dumped oil all over the place. I think the Scout was mad at me for upgrading something that was a mistake to begin with.

Vehicles are like women...... as soon as you decide to upgrade them a little they just dump all over you.
lol, damn that sucks

I've, on more than one occation, had things break on me on the way to the parts store for other things, lol. Like just yesterday, I was driving up there to get some fuel cleener and exchange my faulty digital caliper, and a plug wire wiggled off my cap, lol

that kinda made me nervous... it started bucking, and it was arking over to my aluminum intake, so I heard the ticking and it sounded like a valve, lol, I was all kinda worried. I had my eye's glued to my temp and oil pressure guage untill I got there and popped the hood...

Quick Reply: How to break my transmission?