Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

hose snafu

Old 04-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hose snafu

Hey there. I've got an '87 4runner, 22re, with power steering and it has some stuff for a/c. It's in Cali, so I have to comply with their emissions laws.

I got through replacing my headgasket, figuring with all the helpful articles, and using the FSM I should be able to get through it. Well, now I'm almost done, and like a fool I didn't label all of my hoses going in/out of the intake manifold and air intake chamber. So far I've gotten most of the vacuum stuff in what I'm pretty sure is the right place. I've got some other hoses that I'm working on figuring out where they go. So, take a look, let me know if anything is in the wrong place or if you know what's supposed to go where. Any assistance or better diagrams/pics would be much appreciated. I've done some deep dives into various forums and still haven't figured out some of them. Thanks in advance for the help.

This one is on the air intake. Up front you can see the bvsv. In this thread, it talks about the hose that goes from the tstat housing to the IAC valve. I do have that hose hooked up next to the tstat, but is this hose here the one it's meant to go to? Seems like it's not quite in the right place, but not sure if it's something to do with a different year. I can't find anything going out that direction next to/in front of the bvsv.

Related to the above, just wanting to check that I got all these hoses in the right places. This is from the side of the intake manifold, all these connected to this 22230 valve in this diagram. (really, it would be great if this diagram weren't so dang confusing, and showed where some of these hoses went that aren't connected to anything)

Whatever goes onto this thing at the back end of the intake manifold. I think it might be this hose coming from the area in this next pic?

This hose coming up from some metal pipe and it has some cushiony stuff around the outside.

Also in that area, there is a hose connected to something underneath the vehicle, that I think this long hose coming out from the bottom of the charcoal canister goes into, without any clamps....correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:57 PM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Nice post! I'm on the road, but there is a label under the hood. It shows all hoses.

You just have to know what sensor, thingy, is what.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts

22re diagrams, fuel, vacuum, cooling

One in the firewall is the fuel return.

And that coolant line isn't right, looking from here.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ev13wt
Nice post! I'm on the road, but there is a label under the hood. It shows all hoses.

You just have to know what sensor, thingy, is what.
Thanks, the label was super messed up but I was able to find one online that helped out. Found a couple of pics that helped figure out what sensor thing was where.

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU

22re diagrams, fuel, vacuum, cooling

One in the firewall is the fuel return.

And that coolant line isn't right, looking from here.
Wow, I can't believe I wouldn't think of using the most popular search engine to find a diagram to help me.

Thanks for pointing out the fuel return - I hooked it up to the one on the 3rd pic, which leads into the fuel rail. Ended up finding this thread which had some handy tips for anyone else with the problem I had. With all of the expanded diagrams out there, I was having trouble figuring out spatially what was where.

In terms of the coolant line, which one are you referring to?

I was able to get out there today, and several youtube videos later I think I have everything hooked up. Color coded these diagrams to match the photos...

Red hose I think is the one that goes from thermostat to IAC valve.

Ended up finding this one - again with no indicators of where spatially things are, it's a bit confusing. I have that green hose coming out from the second connector on the valve in the first diagram, and then in this second one, where the lower bit is shown, assuming it's hooked up right?
And again, red one I think connects to the Tstat and to that first connector I couldn't place.

Squeezed in a pic from under the air intake. Hard to tell with all the other junk in the way, but hooked up that hose marked in red. Ended up wrapping it around the tstat and the shape of the hose made a lot more sense. I'm hoping this is all set up right, if anyone else notices I made a mistake in here, let me know what to correct.

Last edited by nerfhrdr; 04-08-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Looks good from here.

Coloring the exploded diagrams makes it alot Easter to follow.

There should be similar ones findable with google for the vacuum system also.