86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hey eveyone! Want Ideas! 86 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey eveyone! Want Ideas! 86 Runner

Hey everyone im brand new to this Forum! im on about 5 other archery related forums but this is my first crack at truck forums and i think its just what im looking for! Im turning 17 this week and this is my first car, she is a sweetie! But theres so much more i want to do! On the top of my list is Roof Rack installation, Window tinting and suspension Plans,
all I want is a couple inches in front and back and for it to be level, I already did the add a leaf in the back but its already back to sagging, whats the best way to go about getting a couple more inches? i also want some fender flares but can only find bushwackers....some of you have exectly what im lookin for, let me in on the secret. Anyways feel free to give me some ideas on what i Could do to her to make her better. Thanks to everyone who chimes in!
A little about her
155,000 origional miles
265/75/16 Cooper st
Incubus wheels
add a leaf
everything else stock
Please throw some ideas out for me!

Im also interested in adding a light bar...Where do you get these things?
And how did you guys and girls do your tinting? yourself or professional?
I know theres info on all this stuff already posted but in would take me days to get thru it all! So thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:27 PM

Lucky americans and your mint, no rust trucks. Nice looking rig man, Sorry I don't really have any pointers to give ya.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:50 PM

do you want a lightbar on the bumper or up top?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:28 PM

thats a nice truck man...I would say go for a brushguard/tubed bumper in front and put off-road lights on that...if u want it higher, go with a 3 inch body lift now and save up for a 4-5 inch suspension lift later...
Old 12-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yo, welcome to the site. you have a real nice rig there man, good start for anything you wanna do i'd think. my tip to you is, start searching for things you are interested in. once you start digging into the site, you'll find some really good stuff, documentation of do it yourself stuff, as well as links to other sites with good pictures for inspiration, and links to people who sell quality parts that they make. there's lots of pictures here, so just start combing thru. find the thread on 'best looking first gen' and you'll see some of the nicest runners on earth. search 'lightbar' and see what pics have been posted already. you'll see round vs. square, on the roof vs. on the bumper, etc. there's a lot of stuff here man, so start using that search bar.

this site, like most forums, are real sensitive about being asked questions they just answered for the last new guy an hour ago, so invest your time in searching some keywords.

how you hook up your truck depends on what you wanna use it for obviously, so if you want to crawl on rocks or blaze thru mud, if you search thru here you'll learn what tire changes you may want, what under carriage protection you may need, what improvements you may want to make to customize stuff, etc.

people here like anywhere, have various skill levels, so most are gonna say "take a stab at it" but some of these guys are knowledgeable as all hell about suspension etc, but dont give a crap about how good the window tint looks. if you want it looking perfect, and want someone accountable if its not, pay a pro. if you want to learn by doing, get a kit and give it your best shot.

my opinion on repairs is like this: if you have a one time shot at getting it right, get someone who knows what they're doing. window tint is get it right the first time type work, so if you dont have experience, you may want a pro on that one. you'll only tint your windows once anyway. there's a lot of light bars, bumpers, sliders (real rocker panel protection) and some are buy it and some are find someone to make it or make it yourself if you got the tools.

first thing's first, get a shop manual.
next, figure out what you want to improve, search for examples of how others have done it, then do it.

your truck looks just like mine. i wanna: confirm the 22re is in good shape: compression test, leak down test, change the timing chain, redo the vaccuum system, clean the intake system, then do the exhaust, header, etc.
but first i have to remedy a hard shift into first issue i have, so i need to resolve clutch/possible tranny work first.

once the power train is good to go, i want to hit the suspension and frame. make sure the frame is solid, no hidden cracks, etc. then upgrade the suspension and align it up. i already have shackles to eliminate the sag, but i want better leafs and longer reach shocks. i'm not worried bout eliminating the IFS cuz its a daily driver, not a weekend trail rig. so i want to improve what i can to make it better on the trail but still keep it ride comfy.

my goal is 33's cuz i like that size, i consider 33 a "small" in truck tires, while a 31 is large in car tires. just my opinion. the best gearing for 33s is 4.88. (something i learned that just reading thru the site) so when i hit the point to upgrade tires, i'll regear and make sure my gearing and axles are all good, replace bearings etc now. maybe do brake upgrades now as well, like changing to bigger rotors and calipers, or upgrading brake boosters. this stuff is all available in how-to form on this site if you search as well.

mean while, i wanna improve my interior some as well, i'd like to tint and sound deaden so i can eliminate some road noise, then upgrade the stereo, add some rear speakers and a sub mounted in a rear panel. i want the bed wide open and weather resistant for topless.

if you wanna do flares, bushwacker has two for our truck, a small and a large, lets say. plus toyotafiberglass has awesome extended width panels that kinda have a hummer3 look to them, very nice product, search here for all kinds of pictures of install. lots of pictures of the bushwackers here also.

do a search for roof basket or rack and find pics of homemade jobs as well as links to vendors and even discussion of stuff found on sale at the local parts stores.
i usually like to do mild mud running and beach running, but i'd like to hit some mild rockier stuff too, so my long term goals include bumpers front and rear as well as sliders which will support the weight of the truck. a decent runner body is hard to come by and worth protecting. unless you prefer a fine collection of rock rash, and there's nothing wrong with that, but your truck seems too pretty for that lifestyle.

good luck with your ride, check this site, pirate4x4, ttora, and there's some others with heavy first gen runner attendance. say hi anytime you wanna discuss 4runners. i love my truck as most of these guys here do too.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

sell it and buy a jeep. i think you will be much happier in the long run, and there are more after market parts for jeeps.

welcome to Y/T
Old 12-15-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
On the top of my list is Roof Rack installation

I went with Yakima tracks. They are permanent and look factory, you can slide the landing pad anyplace you want on the track its all easily removed and it all locks securely. www.yakima.com

Window tinting

Had mine done professionally

and suspension Plans,all I want is a couple inches in front and back and for it to be level, I already did the add a leaf in the back but its already back to sagging, whats the best way to go about getting a couple more inches?

You can crank your front torsion bars or do ball joint spacers or do both to lift the front. I am installing my BJ spacers tomorrow. for the rear I have 2" lift leaf springs. Do a search on here for either there are literally HUNDREDS of threads regarding mild lifts. I am currently clearing 33"s.

i also want some fender flares but can only find bushwackers

Im rocking the bushwackers there arent alot of options out there that are quality. I love them

Im also interested in adding a light bar...Where do you get these things?

when you say light bar do you mean on front like this...from FabTech

or on top like this one from KC

Your truck looks like an awesome starting point yotatech has helped me imensely good luck!

Last edited by SKNKWRX; 12-15-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned fruitloop

Options

Well I think you should stick a 3" body lift and some tall meats. Then go test it, roll it, get it towed, get rid of the body lift, SAS it, case it, put a real motor in it, cage it, gears, lockers, some real tires, cut it up, modify the brakes, put some belts in and then : Roll it, get it recovered and then do it again.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tortis
sell it and buy a jeep. i think you will be much happier in the long run, and there are more after market parts for jeeps.

welcome to Y/T
Wow not even funny

Ok ya it is
the reason for more aftermarket is because they break so damn often they need the market. There market is booming becasue of this fact alone haha

Good looking truck
Old 12-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

I've read 3" body lift twice here and I say don't do it!!! If you do, do a 1" research the pro's/con's. Don't spend a dime till you research it. Big deal is depends on what you wana use it for and then go from there. You have a great looking truck already & that is a pretty good tire choice you have already. What do you want to build it for?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:06 PM

I have cranked my torsion bars, and added 6-8" shackles from a recent junkyard run. All in all around 2-4 inches of lift. I will be getting ball joint spacers soon. That is one great lookin runner ya got there...I'm jealous...more pics please
Old 12-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Banned fruitloop

Do nothing

Put some speakers in it and do nothing!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 PM

4runnerchevy.....thats already taken care of! alpines in front, 6" pioneers in back with diamond D-3 Sub and Infinity Comp series 1500 watt amp!

Thanks to everyone for the ideas! keep um coming! in general I know this sounds dumb but being only 17 i dont have the extra money taking my chances 4-wheeling it. I do mild stuff, and basically take it up on the mountain or in the desert hunting. Basically it does the job but i want it lookin bad ass!

SKNKWRX.....Im jelous...Thats exactly how i picture mine someday...sweet rig! thanks for the tips

yes its a 4-banger in great shape and runs like a top! but i do need to go thru and clean the engine up, and i do have a mild oil leak thats building up on the valve cover.

And that jeep comment.....im not even gunna reply...

thanks alot guys ill post more pics tomorow!

Can someone tell me more about the ball joint spacers?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:25 PM

SKNKWRX....i cant find the rails on yakima websight...do they stil make those...or are those off another truck?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my biggest advice would be ANTI-THEFT.

have you seen the stickies?
there used to be alot more, but they tappered off.

do all you can,
lowjack, removable steering wheel, pedal-jack, alarm, etc.

really nice ride. wheels and all, i gotta say, its a keeper.
other ideas.

5 point seat belts.
snorkel
full padded rear seat/compartment for those camping nights w/the girls.
driving lessons
fuzzy dice
yadayada- welcome to the board.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please... read these 2 threads

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...trucks-124467/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...mation-121264/
Old 12-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by idanity
have you seen the stickies?
there used to be alot more, but they tappered off.
Stolen rigs have there own section now.. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f165/
Most are 1st gen 4runners.

Originally Posted by idanity
do all you can,
lowjack, removable steering wheel, pedal-jack, alarm....
...hidden kill-switch for the fuel pump, battery, starter....might want to add a 24hr video surveillance camera with infrared capabilities too. Your truck is worth a pretty penny to a lot of POS Toyota thieves out there.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Banned

Level It Out, Stop Adding Things To It And Rally The CRAP Out Of It
Old 12-16-2007, 12:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have any good pics of my stuff with the rack installed. I've had alot of other work, and finally got it on tonight.

My rack is a Surco from Summit Racing that I modded. I reduced the mounting height 1", as well as angled the mounts to match the roofline. I then TIG welded them and prime/painted them. The rack is mounted with well nuts and 5/16's bolts. The rack is aluminum, so I also added the light mounting using a strip of aluminum from Lowes and TIG welded that to the rack as well. The strip is full width in comparison to the rack.

I have the Pro Comp ProRunner bumper bar. I honestly like these over the type that Sknkwrx has because the Pro Comp are just mounted much more solidly. The Pro Comp bars mount using bumper points and lower frame points. The bar Sknkwrx has makes it easier to keep the front valance though, and for the mostpart these bars are light mounts not for impacts with trees...but hey...stuff happens.

I'll get some better pics up tomorrow.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
DUH! http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=171

do a search on the ball joint spacer there is a 3 page thread going right now

Quick Reply: Hey eveyone! Want Ideas! 86 Runner