86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!!! So Confused

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! So Confused

1986 22re 4runner with 136K on the clock. First thread but long time reader, can usually just find what i need searching but I'm completely lost.

This whole thing started when I replaced the TPS to fix an inconsistent idle. Ended up buying the wrong one (autozone doesnt know the dif between early and late 22re) but was too late to mess with before my trip so on the trailer she went. Ended up being mostly ok, would just stumble under engine breaking. Saturday night the truck just starts to struggle to idle (of course miles from camp) so i tinkered with it and found that if i turned up the idle with the throttle set screw it would stay running and I went back to camp. Next morning when trying to put it on the trailer it wouldn't even stay running long enough to get it on so i winched up.

Get it back to the house and start reading. Ran a hot wire to the fuel pump and BAM started up and idled. So I figured it was the OCR, hit buy and went back to tinkering. Installed a header, all new exhaust back from there, rebuilt the throttle body and installed a new TPS (from LCE calibrated to 4crawlers specs). OCR came in today and I installed it. Thats where I'm currently at....

Now for the symptoms portion. It will start after a good amount of effort and once it starts itll idle for a while, but it is SUPER rough. I sounds terrible and my tach just kind of flies around wildly. If I jumper the diagnostic port I can get it to idle pretty smoothly but any application of the throttle causes it to stumble and itll never go above like 2K. This is a link to it running https://photos.app.goo.gl/yCoCNoChipFXcYDZA. This condition, even when i was cheating the idle up and it wouldn't run long was not there. THIS IS NEW for sure.

Ran diagnostic on AFM: Checked out good
Rechecked TPS installed: 100% in spec
Fuel pump is not laboring and is running consistantly
No codes

Is it possible the TPS ranges are vague and I need to adjust it still until it runs? I just replaced all the vacuum lines and it ran since then, but is there anything I should check (besides the intake, been there done that)?

HELP!!!!!!!11
Old 06-13-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I’ve had countless issues with tps modules. I would suggest making sure it’s adjusted correctly. There are threads that have directions on how to do it. My 3.0 did the same thing until i made sure it was in proper adjustment. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:30 PM

The TPS is in spec

I just can't believe it's the TPS, it's a brand new one from Toyota via LCE and it's was for my year. I did the 4 crawler calibration again and these are my numbers
1: 646
2: 12
3: OL
4: 3970
would have liked to get the numbers closer to the middle but this is at the exact point that 3 goes from 11 to OL.

This time I also adjusted it installed to take anything else out of the question.

The biggest confusion to me is, other that a random miss it idles almost perfect with the diagnostic port jumpered. Also, btw, I threw and EFI Relay in there because it was $12. No change
Old 06-13-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Did you readjust the throttle set screw back down?

Have you checked timing advance/retard?
The bolt that locks the distributor down might have come loose.

Have you you checked your O2 sensor function?
New exhaust and it’s O2 placement may have compounded the issue.

Vacuum leaks?
Verify no vacuum leaks.

These are are quick and easy things that come to mind.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:47 PM

Thanks

Yes, i reset the screw. I pulled the trottle body and rebuilt it with the LCE kit actually to remove that from the equation

Those are new things! Thanks. I didn't think in my wildest dreams the O2 sensor could cause this (it's cheap tho and worth a shot) but the set screw could have come lose. When it was running great the timing was set at 12 adv, and it's so hard to tell now because it's running so badly but it appears to be the same (12adv). But I will check the distributer and make sure, hope that's not it, could have mashed a valve of it slide too much
Old 06-13-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by tgell001
... If I jumper the diagnostic port I can get it to idle pretty smoothly but any application of the throttle causes it to stumble and itll never go above like 2K. ...
Sure sounds like ignition timing. What is it set at?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:14 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Yes, i reset the screw. I pulled the trottle body and rebuilt it with the LCE kit actually to remove that from the equation

Those are new things! Thanks. I didn't think in my wildest dreams the O2 sensor could cause this (it's cheap tho and worth a shot) but the set screw could have come lose. When it was running great the timing was set at 12 adv, and it's so hard to tell now because it's running so badly but it appears to be the same (12adv). But I will check the distributer and make sure, hope that's not it, could have mashed a valve of it slide too much
My 85 22re was throwing either 3,4,5 or 4,5,6 depending on the day. Replaced the O2 sensor and no codes at all.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You have checked the fuel Pressure ? just seems correct ??

When was the last fuel filter change ?

What do the plugs look like Being old School that is the first thing I look at .
Old 06-14-2018, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
Sure sounds like ignition timing. What is it set at?
Like I said I'm not sure it's going into base timing mode but it's reading about 12adv
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You have checked the fuel Pressure ? just seems correct ??

When was the last fuel filter change ?

What do the plugs look like Being old School that is the first thing I look at .
I actually already bought a fuel filter to swap in. I have a fuel cell and I'm paranoid the foam broke down and clogged it. Is there a test port on the fuel rail to check?
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
My 85 22re was throwing either 3,4,5 or 4,5,6 depending on the day. Replaced the O2 sensor and no codes at all.
I have no codes, that's the weirdest thing
Old 06-14-2018, 04:54 PM

One more whole day of trouble shooting

Ok, so inverifed the timing has never changes since day 1 but just for good measures I set it to 5 btdc. Runs worse now

Fuel pressure is 40

Replaced the fuel filter

Plugs look like I'm running rich as ˟˟˟˟ this is the pic
https://photos.app.goo.gl/a5Z9LrmDc8GbG6Dv9

Compression is 1: 110 2: 120 3: 95 4: 120... Not great, but not my problem

But in a new O2 sensor, won't even idle now. But that was the last thing I did before I kicked the tool bag and closed the garage door. May have been able to get it to run.

Any more ideas? I feel like I'm running out of options. I've got a trip next weekend planned.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:05 PM

Oh and the fuel filter looked like this...I really thought I was going to win after seeing this https://photos.app.goo.gl/yWNAi23HDFbtLHfw5
Old 06-14-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
It scream electrical to me. Have you verified you grounds are all good? I suck with electrical personally, however I have had my fair share of them.

So...
If all the components that are suspect have checked out good. Then my next step personally would be to make sure the wires connecting those components are in good shape, check visually and then test for resistance. You might have a broken wire hidden it the sheathing. That was my problem with my fuel injection circuit. 3 broken wires that created a slight intermittent problem that slowly became a huge PITA. Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:53 AM

Update

Replaced the could and the plugs.... No change. Ordered injectors and waiting. While I was waiting I decided to get it ready to for when the injectors show up. So I pulled the upper plenum and when I did got it appart I discovered the number one fuel injector connector was broken.
now, did I do that pulling the plenum? Or did I just discover my problem? The injector seals crumbled in my hand so I'm waiting for them to show up regardless. Stand by
Old 06-18-2018, 02:36 PM

New injectors and did an EGR delete while I has the plenum appart. Not it just fires and does like the injectors aren't even firing at all. I'm going backwards here.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
New injectors and did an EGR delete while I has the plenum appart. Not it just fires and does like the injectors aren't even firing at all. I'm going backwards here.

Any suggestions?
you're going backwards because you are throwing parts at it, rather than diagnosing and confirming failure/malfunction. such results should be expected when doing this.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:58 PM

Welp it's running great now! Missed a vaccum line.

So to wrap it all up it was the the fuel injectors. The last thing I did because it was the hardest and most expensive
Old 06-18-2018, 05:05 PM

You are adding a lot of variables. EGR delete is a debatable mod in the first place.

What injectors did you get?

Slow down. Go back over everything you’ve touched, insure no vacuum leaks, proper orientation, and secure electrical connections. Propane gas or starting fluid (kinda risky) for vacuum leaks, FSM for orientation, check both sides of electrical connections for loose fit or corrosion, dielectric grease em too.

Once you are satisfied that those criteria have been met, I’d do a resistance check per the fsm of all efi sensors, and then a voltage drop test at both wires for every injector and the fuel pump. Anything fishy from there would require further inspection, ie. open the harness up and look for corrosion/break in the injector or fuel pump wiring . If that all checks out, voltage drop every efi sensor. Can’t remember if you’ve ruled out the COR, so def check that. Voltage drop test, not continuity check. Google can explain why. Don’t do any further modifications until you get it back to running properly. Then throw all the mods and parts at it you want.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:06 PM

Search my previous posts cause I’ve shared 86 fsm voltage and resistance check for sensors and ecu pictures before. I have the 86 fsm and am willing to email related pics if needed.

Quick Reply: Help!!! So Confused