Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please

I just bought a 95 4Runner with the 3vze and I was having trouble getting the motor out to swap it and took it to someone to have it swapped. Well after multiple mishaps with the guy not putting the right stuff back or not putting it back at all it’s swapped and just about ready to fire. However I have a problem somewhere and I’m not getting anything when I go to crank it over. As far as I know I have the grounds where they need to be. Connectors too. The positive post for the starter was loose though. Not sure if that’s an issue. And just recently went out to check it out again and the fan on the outside of the condenser is running constantly and it sounds like the fuel pump is too. And the cable that goes from the passenger side of the engine compartment to the left side of the throttle body is acting like it’s getting power as it’s really hot. Please help!!
Old 08-12-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech.

When you make a post, you're trying to convince your fellow members to read it and provide their experience. We all want to help, but "Help please" is just about the worst title you could use. Next time, think of something like "Cannot get 3VZE to turn over."

The starter is bone-simple. Using your multimeter, thread your arm in there and confirm you have battery voltage (about 12.6v) all the time on the "big" wire (both wires are "positive.") Be careful not to short anything to ground -- that cable can can carry enough current to weld your multimeter lead. Next, disconnect the solenoid wire (the "thin" one) at the starter. Check that you get 12v there with key to Start. If you do, bad starter. If you don't, back up to the starter relay in the under-hood junction (fuse) box.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I should’ve mentioned that I can hear/feel the relay clicking as well. But I’m still concerned with my fan and fuel pump running constantly and with my throttle cable getting hot
Old 08-12-2018, 08:10 PM

"The" relay? If you can hear the starter relay clicking, how would you know if the relay is working, the socket is loose, the wire is broken ...?

You have a boat-load of electrical problems. I'm trying to solve them one at a time. Maybe they're related, maybe not, but a multimeter is how you look for these things.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Take some pictures of your engine bay

Not sure just what cable might be going to the throttle body that is getting hot.

You need to work through problems one at a time.

Maybe get yourself a copy of the Toyota Electrical wiring Diagrams for your vehicle

Best of Luck
Old 08-13-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
I agree with everyone above. It does sound like multiple electrical problems are present.

I would personally figure out what is getting hot and why first! An engine that does not turn over is bad, but an electrical fire is much worse!

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Please post a picture of the engine bay and point out what cable is getting hot. Maybe the throttle cable? No electricity should be going through that cable.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bmoon1991
... And the cable that goes from the passenger side of the engine compartment to the left side of the throttle body is acting like it’s getting power as it’s really hot. ...
The "B" cable from the Alternator (the output of the alternator) goes from the passenger side to the driver's side "near" the throttle body. If your alternator is putting 60 amps into a dead short, that wire is going to get pretty toasty. (The short would be part of the no-start condition, and maybe the fan running. Who knows?)

But we all feel pretty reticent to diagnose a wiring problem just based on that one sentence. We're not Tom Cruise and Simon Pegg!