Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HELP; Need to bypass the Neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow HELP; Need to bypass the Neutral safety switch

Finishing my auto to manual swap and need to bypass neutral safety.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM

...If you haven't got it done. Go underneath of your truck and look for a plug that has like 10 or 12 wire. There is two bigger black wire, cut those two out and attach them togheter, and it will start w/o needing to step on the clutch pedal...
Old 10-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I think he means the Automatic Nutreal saftey switch. Not the manual transmission clutch switch..

I know its just two wires, just couldnt tell you which ones. Try a search, tons of these swaps have been done on here
Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 AM

ya the auto neutral swithch is what i need to by pass but my dad wants me to hookk up the clutch safety swich as well.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just un bolted the box on the shift likage zip tied it to the firewall and turned it to park
Old 05-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That is the easiest way to do it Tskinny. Just leave the NSS hooked up, and switch it over to park or neutral. That way you won't have to worry about cutting the wrong wires, or messing it up in any way.

Btw unless you truck is already wired for the clutch switch, I don't think you will be able to hook it up.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:50 AM

There is a set of wires that comes down right by the starter that are supposed to go to the auto trans. There are two fat black ones going to a pigtail, one had a white tracer on it. All you need is a 4" long peice of wire and 2 spade connectors. Put a spade connector on each end and plug it in just to loop the wire, makes it so you dont have to cut any wires.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
There is a set of wires that comes down right by the starter that are supposed to go to the auto trans. There are two fat black ones going to a pigtail, one had a white tracer on it. All you need is a 4" long peice of wire and 2 spade connectors. Put a spade connector on each end and plug it in just to loop the wire, makes it so you dont have to cut any wires.
Newbie here. I have auto 1987 4runner. Which color wires to jump NSS? Starts 90% in neutral, 5% in park, 5% not at all. I want to bypass NSS since I cant afford $200 for this part. Thanks in advance for ur help!!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:56 AM

BTW, my name is Jamie. I own a 1986, standard and the 1987, auto, both i drive to work. Lately both are giving me problems, 1986 is clutch and 1987 is starting problem. I just need a dependable car from and to work. One post said black and black wires. Tried that but it didnt work. Again this is for the 1987 4runner, with auto tranny. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:26 AM

I finally saw the two black wires!!! they are just there laughing at me. Jumped the two and placed a switch bottom of dash. Works like a charm!! thank you all for that posting!!!! Saved me $200!!!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:14 PM

Hi, I've got a 1993 3VZ-E that is used on a remote island during the summer, so field repairs only. It's showing the standard neutral safety switch (NSS) symptoms - no start in Park or Neutral, can get it to start by pushing the shifter lever. Given the location, there's no way I'm going to be able to get it off to replace it, so I need to bypass it. I've found the following from this thread and another:

1) "There is a set of wires that comes down right by the starter that are supposed to go to the auto trans. There are two fat black ones going to a pigtail, one had a white tracer on it. All you need is a 4" long peice of wire and 2 spade connectors. Put a spade connector on each end and plug it in just to loop the wire, makes it so you dont have to cut any wires."

2) "As I was unable to find it anywhere, here it is: if you are needing to bypass the neutral safety switch, to either rule it out or temporarily bypass until its fixed, disconnect the plug that connects to the transmission at the nuetral switch location. The two wires needed to jump are the larger black and the black-yellow wires that feed into the female section of the plug. I used spade terminals to insert into the plug in order to easily put back to stock once repair is made. Otherwise, if you just want to jump it out and leave as such, I would suggest tapping into the "B" & "N" terminal wires that while still allowing them to feed into the plug. Essentially making an "H" with the wires."

Since it's a hike and a ferry ride to any supplies, it would be a big help if anyone can add:

- Will 1) work on the 93 3VZ-E?

- Is there a better description of exactly where the 2 black/ black-white wires are? Do they run to the starter, or past it? Does the pigtail only have these 2 wires or are they part of a group?

- Should the jumper be female or male spade terminals? Any ideas of the size?

Thanks all for the help.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:19 PM

Still looking for any help

I'm on the island trying to fix the neutral safety switch. The only accessible wires I can see to jump would be at the plug to the NSS and that's just barely in reach to get off, much less get a jumper into. I'm worried about breaking the brittle plastic end and then being really stuck. I've got the passenger side fender access off to follow the wiring past the starter and I'm pretty stumped. On this model the wires are all buried in the harness with none of the connectors mentioned in other posts or that I can map from the wiring diagram. In fact, I don't see how I could even jump the solenoid with a wire or switch if I had to as there isn't a traditional post, just a battery cable at one end and a barely visible wiring loom that seems to run behind the starter. If anyone has advice for a field NSS bypass on the V6 automatic I could really use it. Thanks.