Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help! Fuel system woes! Warning: Long

Old 01-02-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Fuel system woes! Warning: Long

Well, here it goes. I have an 88 4Runner with the V6. Over the last couple of months my truck had been bucking every so often on the highway, just a quick jump and it would be fine for a bit. Thought it was the wires and decided that the first weekend free of work I would replace them. (On call 24-7, and been a busy busy time) So a couple days ago down here in Mississippi the weather got really really cold (for here anyway) and one cold morning the 4Runner didn't want to crank just right, I have the painless hot shot starter relay that I have wired into the system so i was pretty sure it wasn't the starter. It would rev once and then die, and then you would have to feather the gas and keep cranking till it caught. I was thinking cold start system or something similar was starting to act up. So yesterday I am standing around and notice a gas smell in the driveway, I bend over and notice why my gas mileage sucked the last couple of days and what my starting problem more than likely is, I am dripping gas all over the driveway! So i start cussing and have to begin running around for work.

Tonight I slide under there in this cold ass 25 degree weather and begin poking around. The leak is right at the metal gas line where it bends up to go into the engine bay and a large bracket holds it to the frame. I remove the bracket and begin rubbing to find a small crack or pinsize hole right above the bend. I think ", this is gonna suck to fix or get fixed" and decide to buy something like quicksteel to atleast slow down the leak so I can get it to the mechanic Friday (it is now dripping down the frame as the bracket seemed to be slowing the leak). Go to walmart and come back and now the truck will not start at all, just clicks and here the click from the passenger kick panel. I am gonna check my wires in a minute and try again to atleast get it out of the driveway and unblock everyone that is parked infront of me.

What is going to be the best way to replace this fuel line? Am I going to be able to do it myself (i am slightly mechanicaly inclined) or am I going to have to take it to a local shop and pay out the butt? Any ideas or suggestions? Any idea why this would have just happened about 5 days ago, I would think water froze in the fuel line but tonight is the first true freezing weather we have had.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Well figured out the no start problem this morning, accidently bumped and disconnected my hot shot system when moving around the plastic fuel line in the engine bay.

Looking like the fun of putting in and bending up a new fuel line is soon to come. While I have the truck up on ramps I am going to redo the hotshot system to be a little more sturdy and take a look at my lovely oil leak. Any suggestions to help out with this project?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM

Well figured out the no start problem this morning, accidently bumped and disconnected my hot shot system when moving around the plastic fuel line in the engine bay.

Looking like the fun of putting in and bending up a new fuel line is soon to come. While I have the truck up on ramps I am going to redo the hotshot system to be a little more sturdy and take a look at my lovely oil leak. Any suggestions to help out with this project?