86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with CEL 14, 22 and 41 please

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with CEL 14, 22 and 41 please

I had to replace the head gasket on a 1992 3.0 3VZE with the help of reading lots of yototech threads....many thanks to all who posted their experiences

Engine back in and runs, but getting CEL 14, 22 and 41. Was not getting any CEL prior to pulling the engine.

From the FSM, I have what the codes mean, but do not really understand what they mean.

14 IGF signal from igniter is not input to ecu
22 Open or short in water temp sensor circuit
41 Open or short detected in throttle positoin sensor signal VTA for .5 sec or more. IDL contact is ON and VTA ouput exceeds 1.45 v.

I did have to replace the water temp sensor and housing as the old one broke apart removing the connector. New sensor is from Toyota. Also installed a new housing. Took care to put wires back same as they were.

I would appreciate any recommendations on chasing down and correcting the source of these codes.

Last edited by DallasTX; 01-07-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I have 14 and 41 cleared. I know I started the engine with the TPS disconnected last night, so it was probably a stored code. I removed the EFI fuse for at least 15 minutes, but code persisted, so disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes and now only have the code 22.

Even though I was trying to be vigilant and replace the wires the same way in the new housing as the old, perhaps I got them backwards, or not fully engaged in the housing. Unless somebody has other recommendations, guess I will start there.