86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP! 3.0 no start - no spark!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! 3.0 no start - no spark!

Hello all.... haven't posted before but I read this forum all the time! Now I need some help! I just completed my HG and top-end rebuild - had the following work done:

Toyota HG used
Parts Dinosaur gasket kit and head bolts
engnbldr oversized valves
machine work
new belts, idlers, etc
cruzn fuel injector cleaning

Now... that everything is back together, the truck doesn't start!!! I've searched the threads and tried everything mentioned. I followed the FSM completely and rechecked timing and compression and everything checks good. Main problem is I have no spark. The starter runs and the engine cranks. I've gone through the distributor troubleshooting, test for being 180 out, but even then I should have spark. Tested entire ignition circuit, distributor. I even checked wire continuity from the ECU to all components in the engine. One wierd thing though is that the CEL does not come on when the ignition switch is in the "ON" position. Also, when I put the jumper in, the CEL doesn't light up either! I've even checked the bulb and wire traces in the back of the gauge cluster to make sure they were okay, and everything is good.

To make sure that the CEL does work, I put the jumper in (TE1 to E1) and pulled the MAF sensor harness and then it through a code. So I suspec the ECU is working correctly. But now i'm thinking the possibly the igniter may be my problem, but that should throw a code, and it doesn't!..... so to the gurus out there... any suggestions or advice?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Signal Generator(pick-up coil)! Mine went out after chainging the timing chain! mine blew up leaving copper windings all in the distributor. Some just go out! Most toyota dealers list it, but tell you they can't get one! They want you to buy the whole dist housing. I finally found one dealership in the only southeast that would get me one! Limbaugh Toyota in Birmingham, AL will ship you one for about $80, instead of trying to sell you the whole distributor! Just a place to check! Singal gen. send input to ecu, ecu tells igniter to fire the coil and the coil then fire the plug as the rotor passes the correct tower!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you do a continuity check on your fuses?

Mike in AR
Old 05-07-2006, 08:41 PM

GOT IT STARTED! - My problem was I wasn't getting any voltage at terminal E2 at the ECU. E2 connects with E21 (TPS and VAF) Turns out that the VAF meter was out of adjustment. Resistance between VC and E2 was too low. I ended up taking the cover of the VAF off and adjusting the terminals etc. Once I plugged it in, I got the CEL to come on when IG switch turned to "ON" like its supposed to. Turned the key and she fired right up!

Now I can see where the real problems are.... My idle is at about 1900 rpm and I've got smoke coming from somewhere on the driver side of the head. Could that be a leak in the exhaust manifold? also - doesn't seem as if the cooling sytem is flowing... because the driver side of the engine is extremely hotter than the passenger side!

Thanks again for the other suggestions, but any other ideas about the smoking? it's like something is burning.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1fly4runner
GOT IT STARTED! - My problem was I wasn't getting any voltage at terminal E2 at the ECU. E2 connects with E21 (TPS and VAF) Turns out that the VAF meter was out of adjustment. Resistance between VC and E2 was too low. I ended up taking the cover of the VAF off and adjusting the terminals etc. Once I plugged it in, I got the CEL to come on when IG switch turned to "ON" like its supposed to. Turned the key and she fired right up!

Now I can see where the real problems are.... My idle is at about 1900 rpm and I've got smoke coming from somewhere on the driver side of the head. Could that be a leak in the exhaust manifold? also - doesn't seem as if the cooling sytem is flowing... because the driver side of the engine is extremely hotter than the passenger side!

Thanks again for the other suggestions, but any other ideas about the smoking? it's like something is burning.
But didn't it run before you took it apart? If it did, then the AFM (same as VAF I'm sure) shouldn't be out of adjustment. Maybe you just compensated for another issue.

The smoke could be from a leaking manifold gasket or if you spilled some oil when you filled it up.