Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help, 1986 4runner rear window switch replacements

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, 1986 4runner rear window switch replacements

I have a 1986 4runner and the center console switches dont work, aside from the "UP" portion of the switch that puts the rear window up and down. I want to replace these three switches with generic toggle switches, like this http://www.bandc.biz/toggleswitch-doublepole.aspx

I have a SPST, SPDT, DPDT, and a momentary on off button just to see what i could do with them. I figure i could do the SPST to turn the wiper on and off, the SPDT for the window up and down, the momentary button for the rear wiper wash fluid, and a SPST for the "window lock" portion, if i even need the window lock. Im not sure exactly what the window lock button does, becaue it hasnt worked since i have had the car.

If anyone has done this and could tell me how or if they just know what they are doing, i would really appreciate the help, thanks!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:23 AM

i took my factory rear window switch apart and cleaned the contacts up and it works fine now.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^^^me too
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 PM

I would do that, but I dont want to break it trying to get it apart. I took the wiper one apart and some of the copper contacts were actually missing. But the main reason I have is that I want to get a Tuffy center console and I would like to be able to just drill a few holes in the front of it and put the generic switches there
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

So other then bad switches it all works good??

i only use the window the wiper has been removed I never used the window lock.

I used a double throw momentary switch wired so to the rear was up and front was down. Like a fork lift.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 PM

What wires did you put where for the double throw? Were the two positives for the window in the middle and he negatives on either side or the other way around? Is there a way that things may short?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I will need to double check but all your doing is closing the circuit. Which is in the open position. i am pretty sure the only ground is at the motor.

It has been a few years. I have the new factory switch but this works so well no need to change..

You need to figure out what pins to wire on your switch they are not all the same.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Do you know how to wire it up? You said you had yours on a double throw momentary, how?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Schematics & Pics Here

Originally Posted by Brandonlow27
I have a 1986 4runner and the center console switches dont work, aside from the "UP" portion of the switch that puts the rear window up and down. I want to replace these three switches with generic toggle switches, like this http://www.bandc.biz/toggleswitch-doublepole.aspx

I have a SPST, SPDT, DPDT, and a momentary on off button just to see what i could do with them. I figure i could do the SPST to turn the wiper on and off, the SPDT for the window up and down, the momentary button for the rear wiper wash fluid, and a SPST for the "window lock" portion, if i even need the window lock. Im not sure exactly what the window lock button does, becaue it hasnt worked since i have had the car.

If anyone has done this and could tell me how or if they just know what they are doing, i would really appreciate the help, thanks!
Not too complicated if you understand the schematic and can do clean wiring.

Rear Power Window relay is behind panel near driver side seatbelt:

Schem of Rear Power Window Relay (PWR) Here:
(Link to full schematics on my signature)

To Figure Out Pin-Outs Here:

For Up/Down Switch U need momentary SPDT with center-off. That means when left by itself, toggle/rocker stays in center position not connected to anything. When pushed to UP position, it connects Pin5 of PWR (Red wire with Yel Stripe) to ground via Power Window Lock, Cover Top Switch and Door lock detector switch. Pushed to DOWN pos, it connects Pin4 (Green With Yel stripe) to gnd via same switches.

Im not sure exactly what the window lock button does, because it hasnt worked since i have had the car.
Power Window Lock simply interupts connection to ground as you can see in schematic. Just needs non-momentary SPST switch, altho you can use DPST, or DPDT, if you use the proper contacts. Window lock is also assurance that window does not open un-intentionally when Up-Down switch malfunctions. For example when that spilt coffee finally makes its way to Up-Down switch contacts and shorts them while your truck is un-attended. Altho in your case, looks like the spilt coffee got to your window lock already :-O so now it's shorted and does not "lock" anymore.

Here's how Power Window Relay connector looks like. Clean wires so easy to find. Triple-check your wire colors and pin-outs.

Fun Job! While you're at it, you might as well extend the wires so you can relocate those switches to dash, and get the console ready for much-needed cup holder mod

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 09-13-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 PM

Is there a way that things may short?
Originally Posted by wyoming9
i am pretty sure the only ground is at the motor.
There is ground on that contol circuit. That circuit in console is switched-ground They only make or break connection to ground. You gotta be careful, of course, but as long as you only have those wires in that bundle exposed, accidental shorts will only raise or lower the window, or turn wiper on, un-intentionally.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 09-13-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 PM

Wow, thank you! So much detail! Hopefully I can find the time to do this now, I'll let everyone know what happens!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 PM

Also add Switch to control from inside rear deck for when sleeping in there.

Wow, thank you! So much detail! Hopefully I can find the time to do this now, I'll let everyone know what happens!
Always a pleasure. BTW, I also added wiring from relay to near the Deck lamp. They are wired to Pins 11 and 12, and will allow controlling window from inside rear deck so when sleeping in there, you need not scramble to the front seat, turn ignition on, roll window down to be able to open tailgate, to exit and take a leak - LOL!
No time for a write-up yet but pics of those wires are here:

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-13-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 PM

Thank you again! I got the center console one wired up with a temporary setup until I can do it up right, the wiring diagram was a huge help, its hard finding the right ones sometimes. Thinking about doing as you suggested and moving the switches to the dash, but haven't decided yet. I'll try to post pics once im on a computer rather than my phone!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:56 AM

Cool!

Thank you again! I got the center console one wired up with a temporary setup until I can do it up right, the wiring diagram was a huge help, its hard finding the right ones sometimes. Thinking about doing as you suggested and moving the switches to the dash, but haven't decided yet. I'll try to post pics once im on a computer rather than my phone!
Cool! Good to know! Yep, pics pls!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:49 PM

How do I add photos to my post?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 PM

How do I add photos to my post?
Start an album on yotatech (or photobucket) and upload pics to it. Once uploaded, when you click pic you want to place in post, you will see a box named "BB Code" with link code that starts with "[IMG]". Copy that link and paste into your post. This will embed on post.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hmm..

I got a better solution. Just go to picknpull and find a toyota previa. Then, look at the lock/unlock switch in the door. Remove the switch, put it in your 4runner, connect the 3 wires and you are done. The switch even fits perfectly in the original factory location. Also, if you are having problems with the "window lock" switch, take it out, take the little cover off, wash it out in the sink with soap and water and put it back in.

Problem solved.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Duffdog
Hmm..
... toyota previa. Then, look at the lock/unlock switch in the door. The switch even fits perfectly in the original factory location.
Cool! It really helps when people share their experiences with parts from newer models compatible with our classics!

Also, if you are having problems with the "window lock" switch, take it out, take the little cover off, wash it out in the sink with soap and water and put it back in.
Problem solved.
Yep, 'cause in the past 25 years, someone could have spilt coffee on that - LOL!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Hey all. Thanks for all these details. Will really help in my debug.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:40 PM

Hmm..

I got a better solution. Just go to picknpull and find a toyota previa. Then, look at the lock/unlock switch in the door. Remove the switch, put it in your 4runner, connect the 3 wires and you are done. The switch even fits perfectly in the original factory location. Also, if you are having problems with the "window lock" switch, take it out, take the little cover off, wash it out in the sink with soap and water and put it back in.

Problem solved.
Any additional details here by chance? This is the only reference I've been able to find to the Previa fix. Ordered the switch but I'm showing 5 wires coming out of the 4runner original switch. Only thing I can think is I need both the male and female Previa plug and the three wires are on the back of the male end?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help, 1986 4runner rear window switch replacements