Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Heater control cable binding

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Heater control cable binding

Hey all,

I just replaced the heater control assembly in my 89 4runner. All the cables work fine except for the mode selector one. (top right, selects VENT, HEAT, DEFROST, etc). I found that cable extremely difficult to place without having some binding.
Now, the lever is really hard to slide and it the cable is simply bending instead of pushing and pulling the selector under the dash.
Are there any tricks to this? Does anybody know a good way to route this cable so that it actually causes the selector to move?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just did one in our turbo truck. If i'm not mistaken, this is the one with two cables, one goes to the DS of the center console, and the other goes down to the PS side.

We hit all of the cables with mad amounts of WD-40, but any penetrating oil will work. I routed the DS cable the same route as the coolant control (the one that goes through the firewall), and then down from there. On the passenger side, i went straight out, behind the glove box, and then sort of a sweeping curve, tucking the cable behind the various components back there, to keep it out of the way.

Another thing to try is to make ABSOLUTELY sure that the cable is hooked into the cable clip properly. This is the piece that holds the outter skin of the cable. The easiest way to do this is to unhook both cables. Then, push the selector all the way to the left. Move the DS lever (the thing the cable hooks to) to the front of the truck. When the selector is full left, the DS cable is fully pushed out, and moving the lever the farthest forward will ensure that it is in the proper position.

Now, hook the cable end over the lever, AND making ABSOLUTE sure not to move the lever with the cable end, and making sure that there is NO slack between the cable end and the cable clip, push the cable into the cable clip.

Now, go to the PS and pull the lever towards you. Repeat with the PS cable, as it should be in as far as it goes, and the lever should be towards you. Again, hook the cable end over the lever, and make sure there is no slack when you push the cable into the cable clip.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
follow the cable that goes into the engine compartment. it controls a valve on the coolant line (like Ike said). the pivot point of that valve is probably corroded or frozen into position. for now, i just pushed that valve wide open, at least i have heat for the winter.