Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Headlight Issue

Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Issue

Ok guys I hope you can help me on this. I have a headlight issue that for the life of me I cant figure out. My passenger side light will not work on low beam. The drivers side works just find and both lights work fine on Hi beam. I know its not the bulb because I put in two replacements and get the same results. I have tested the relay and it engages and allows full voltage to pass thru. The two fuses are both good, both in regards to voltage and continuity. I have taken the fuse box apart and checked to see if any of the connections are loose and found no issues. Some how the power is lost between the fuse box and the light. I would assume its a bad ground. When I test the plug the upper "prong slot" carries no current when on low beam. According to diagrams I saw online this is where the low beam current is located. I would assume that this means my switch is bad. From what I have read on this forum the ground itself comes from the switch. Am I wrong on this? Does anyone have any ideas? I have been going in circles trying to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James
Old 12-19-2009, 07:38 PM

Oh also something else that is interesting. If I remove the fuse from the drivers side (the side that works) all of a sudden both lights come on in low beam, but not very brightly. It looks more like candlelight.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like possible broken/cut wire. Trace the low beam hot wire.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hilux4Life
I would assume that this means my switch is bad. From what I have read on this forum the ground itself comes from the switch.
I don't think your switch is bad. If it was you would be having a problem with both lights. The switch grounds the lights through the same wire.

I think you have high resistance, or an open somewhere on the low beam splice on the right side headlight. This would explain the two dim lights with the LH HEAD fuse pulled. If there is an open, or high resistance, the current can go to ground through the other light bulb. (but only when the switch is in the low beam position in your case)

Get your trusty multimeter and try this...
1. remove BOTH headlights
2. both head light connectors have a RED wire with a GREEN stripe, and there should be continuity between the two at all times. This is the low beam wire. Check that there is continuity between the two wires by putting one plug of the multimeter on the drivers side, and one on the passengers side. If there is no continuity, or high resistance. That is where your problem lies... in the passenger side low beam splice, or between the splice and the passenger side headlight connector.

Last edited by rustypigeon; 12-19-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the idea rustypigeon. I wont have any time to mess with this until Christmas. I am already planning on installing some new Bilsteins that day so I will add this to the list. I will let you know how it goes. Guess I will have to open up the wire sleeve to take a look at the splice.