Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Headers and exhaust

Old 01-20-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers and exhaust

I'm a noobie to the forum everyone. I have a 93 22re. After watching some YouTube videos comparing the dough thorley header to the lc engineering header I think I've decided to go with the lc engineering header as it appears to be that the dough thorley headers have gone down in quality according to diesel tech ron. After doing a bit of searching I decided to ask here as most of the threads i found were several years old. So any advice? Doug thorley vs lc engineering? I would do a full exhaust with a muffler.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I put a DT on in 2007 never had a problem. LCE makes a quality product and won't play The Who's better game. I tried pacesetter good customer service but poor product. Whichever you choice for longevity you'll want the nickel or whatever coating to prevent rusting out don't trust paint.

I can't recommend remflex exhaust gasket enough to make the point that they make the only gasket that has lasted me with header. Put last one on in 2010ish and still no leaks.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For what it's worth, I have the LC Engineering header on my 22RE and I wouldn't do it again. For the cost, it's not worth it in my opinion. The only difference I notice is at highway speed when I try to get more throttle (passing someone for example). Even then, it isn't much difference, but it's the only thing I noticed. That isn't a knock on the LC Engineering product itself, but headers in general on this motor. I also went to a larger diameter exhaust at the same time as well (2.25" I think) but still have the OEM air intake setup.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:02 AM

Really a header and exhaust are just parts to building a 22re. New cam and OS valves capitalize on better flow of exhaust but no matter how you build a 22RE it is still limited by engine design that was never intended a performance engine. My built 22re is still slower than most other vehicles.

Don't get me wrong I love the 22re and like it better with the upgrades it has and I'm comfortable not being fastest rig on the road.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
When we bought our 93 yota in 93, I was looking for headers. Doug Thorleys, Downey, LC Engineering and Northwest Offroad Specialties (NWOS) were popular back then. I went with NWOS Thorley copies because of cost and it leaked from day one. The guy said it would be a direct fit but it didn't. I wished I got Downeys or LC Engineering but all I could afford was NWOS. 2 years ago I replaced the timing chain, oil pump and water pump, etc., so I replaced the headers with LC Engineering. I also got Borla catback exhaust (when they used to make it for Toyotas) and with all that, I didn't notice any horsepower change.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:47 AM

I've noticed a head gasket leak. So I thought I'd get a new Street rv head and cam from engnbldr. I also planned on a new timing chain and such. I'm planning on doing a header at the same time with a full exhaust. Depending on how my tax return looks. I'm also wondering which came to go with. I don't race or anything. I just drive the truck to work and I like to ball around in the dirt and snow. I'm also not sure which cam would be better for my purpose. A 261 or 268.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:55 AM

I've used EB 260* and now 260*. The 268* description didn't fit my use. Seems EB has a 270* cam now. Call them and get their recommendations.

http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/56.htm best performing manifold/header gasket I've used.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I dunno if it's the same one as what NWOR sells, but "Stan's Headers" is another tri-y option for the 22re.

Personally I didn't see the justification of dropping the $ on a header when the rest of my engine won't support it - so I shortened my downpipe to just after the "Y" and went with bigger and free-flowing everything from that point on. Like stated in a comment above, I only notice a slight difference at highway speeds.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:08 AM

Watch diesel tech Rons video again, It appears he bought the wrong header.The exhaust ports on the supplied gasket are round, the later model 22re have pear shaped ex .ports .
I just purchased the lc header it hasn't arrived yet. I have the engnbldr street cam .I'll try to post a video once I install the engine back in ,
Old 01-29-2017, 05:11 AM

1987 22re
Attached Thumbnails Headers and exhaust-20170128_182505.jpg  
Old 01-29-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bipolarandproud
1987 22re
Nice, can't wait for the video!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:53 PM

https://youtu.be/ORkRrgkusDI

Last edited by bipolarandproud; 02-04-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:37 PM
dno

I've had the Thorley header in my 86 4Runner for many years and it's never had an exhaust leak. It's a decent quality header with a nice thick flange. Add a stud in the center hole. As far as making power; I can't say how much it makes compared to a stock exhaust manifold. The header was installed and 2.5 inch exhaust the same time as my blueprinted 164 hp DOA Racing engine.

Tim at DOA refreshed the 164hp for me, and then I installed it into a clean little 84 Celica GT hatch with an OBX header. It's running a 2.25 exhaust, with a 2.5 Flowmaster cat and 2.25 Borla muffler. The header flange for the exhaust side was 1 7/8, so the exhaust shop cut it in the tapered area and expanded it to 2.25. The Celica is quick with that motor in it. The first generation EFI also has vacuum advance carb distributor, which makes more power.

The new engine in the 4Runner is a custom DOA racing engine. It's a blue-printed, stroked, 22ret built to easily make a reliable 225-250 rwhp. I have the Steed Speed turbo manifold for this engine. Nice piece, and I highly recommend it. I'll post dyno results from the tuner once the turbo is installed. It's running naturally aspirated until I have a few more miles and a couple of oil changes. This engine is currently running the Thorley, and it makes great power.

I thought about it, but didn't go with a 2/3rz for several reasons, mostly because my horsepower and durability goals are easily achieved with a correctly built 22ret.

Last edited by dno; 02-06-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Search this Thread