Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Headbolt Dilema

Old 04-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headbolt Dilema

Ok, so I got my newly machine head back on my truck, Toyota head gasket and ready to go, I go to put my last head bolt in and its hard to turn. 2 bolts I had a helluva time trying to get out, come to find out it was the 2 right by the exhaust ports and they were carboned and nasty, and the bolts seemed worn down a lil above the threads, I went and bought 2 new bolts from Toyota and put them in and started the tightening sequence. The one bolt that was tight before was a little tight but went in fine and tightened down, The other was very tight and will not even tighten down all the way, Im not trying too hard cause I dont wanna screw anything up. I soaked these bolts holes with carb cleaner when I was cleaning up the block and all the other cleaned up fine. Do I need to pull the head all the way back off and go buy a tap and die set to clean these threads up? (I'd have to buy it and getting this head lined up and over the timing chain by myself was a task) Or is there anything else I can do to clean this hole up. This project is already longer then it should've been, And I havent been rushing things trying to do it right!

Last edited by ShortyzKustomz; 04-17-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Are we talking 22re engine? I know you can't reused TTY head bolts on the 3vze but not sure about the 22re. Contact Ted (www.engnbldr.com) & get new head bolts if you need them.

What you're describing sounds like you got liquid (carb cleaner?) in the bolt holes inside the block & it's causing hydraulic lock when you try to tighten them down.

You can take one of the old bolts that looks good & Dremel vertical cuts into the threads to make a homemade thread chaser (the cuts take away gunk & allow any liquid to squeeze up through the threads). Then blow them all out with compressed air. There's no need to buy a tap & die set unless the holes have been buggered up.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 04-17-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the advice on the old bolt! Thats a GREAT idea! I got 2 new bolts, I never read you had to replace 22r headbolts
Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 PM

U should use a thread chaser to clean out bolt holes in block,allso i would buy new head bolts just to b safe . Make sure u put small amount of engine oil on bolts before u install them. O yah good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:17 PM

The homemade thread chaser will do a good job, try and make at least 4 cuts and keep the cutting wheel good and straight so the shoulders you leave are good and sharp. Not cleaning the threads in the block has caused a lot of guys grief. Quick way to warp the head cause you get wrong torque values. Go ahead and clean all the holes before you put it back together.
Jim
Old 04-17-2007, 03:18 PM

Book says torqe em dry and clean
Old 04-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by foot0069
Book says torqe em dry and clean
What book? I don't see anything in the FSM about this...
Old 04-17-2007, 03:29 PM

Also yea I did use liquid cleaner but it was also several days before I got the head on and bolts in
Old 04-17-2007, 04:05 PM

You'r right FSM just says bolt back on. My old Haynes book says.
" Use a tap of the correct size to chase the threads in the head bolt holes. Mount each bolt in a vice and run a die down the threads to remove corrosion and restore the threads. Dirt, corrosion, sealant and damaged threads will affect torqe readings."
Lubing the threads will affect the readings as well.
Jim

I also like to use the spray type copper gasket sealer. PERMATEX-- COPPER-SPRAY-A-GASKET. Although not all might agree with that

Last edited by foot0069; 04-17-2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Add a note
Old 04-17-2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by foot0069
You'r right FSM just says bolt back on. My old Haynes book says.
" Use a tap of the correct size to chase the threads in the head bolt holes. Mount each bolt in a vice and run a die down the threads to remove corrosion and restore the threads. Dirt, corrosion, sealant and damaged threads will affect torqe readings."
Lubing the threads will affect the readings as well.
Jim

I also like to use the spray type copper gasket sealer. PERMATEX-- COPPER-SPRAY-A-GASKET. Although not all might agree with that
I find that insane!! Reusing head bolts?? the 22re like most engine uses torque to yeild bolts and once stretched past there elastic limit once they are not to be reused as the torque setting will be wrong... and torque on headbolts is a big deal... if its not to late i would buy new head bolts....

Also yes definetly make sure threads are not oiled and as clean as u can manage
Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 PM

Pretty sure the 22re does not use tty bolts. I have seen them reused, on my junk.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by longhungsilver
I find that insane!! Reusing head bolts?? the 22re like most engine uses torque to yeild bolts and once stretched past there elastic limit once they are not to be reused as the torque setting will be wrong... and torque on headbolts is a big deal... if its not to late i would buy new head bolts....

Also yes definetly make sure threads are not oiled and as clean as u can manage
like most engines? maybe most new engines, all older stuff its no big deal. I've reused 22r head bolts and never had a problem with them just look em over good, if they are stretched it shows..
Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by DudeBud
like most engines? maybe most new engines, all older stuff its no big deal. I've reused 22r head bolts and never had a problem with them just look em over good, if they are stretched it shows..
Man...I would just pay the 50 bones and get new headbolts...it isn't worth the heartache of tearing the whole thing apart just cause you cheaped out on something like that...IMHO.

Jon

Man...I would just pay the 50 bones and get new headbolts...it isn't worth the heartache of tearing the whole thing apart just cause you cheaped out on something like that...IMHO.

Jon

Jon
Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

say that again...

50 bucks for after market heads bolts isn't bad, but i just don't see the use of buying them for a 22r, unless they are needed. If i where to get new ones i would shell out the extra and get studs.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:34 PM

I know with newer motors you should, I've built probably 10 SB Chevys and VW motors and once I used ARP bolts, other then that I've reused bolts...The bolts arent the problem here, I have a BRAND NEW bolt from Toyota in the hole Im having the problem
Old 04-18-2007, 04:01 PM

Remember the FSM was designed for factory trained technicians. The user of the manual is assumed to be proficient and knowlegeable to Toyota mechanics standards. If Toyota wanted new bolts put in after head servicing the FSM would state so. The manual relies on the obvservation of the mechanic to decide whether to reuse the bolts, meaning if they clean up pretty go dancing. And yeah studs are cool and all but unless you really got that puppy gruntin out a whole lotta extra ponies a big waste of money. Least thats the way I look at it. Not to be confused with someone who knows what the hell theys a talkin about.
Jim
Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 PM

How you makin out Shorty? Get em cleaned out? Might be able to drop by and look at it if you like.
Jim
Old 04-18-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My boss would run you off the job wanting to put new bolts in.. He would tell you claen that bolt up, look at it and if its not damaged put it back in.. " If it ain't broke, don't fix it " lol... Ive used the same bolts back numerous times, But i am new to working on toyotas... so that could be a factor..He will spend 30 minutes cleaning up a rusty bolt rather than grabbing a new 1 from the bin.. He's says they cost to much to replace, to make ya feel better...... I know, he's a cheap scannal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headbolt Dilema