86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

head gasket time. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
OK I read the above quickly and promise to re-read when I get a chance. My wife is off and I got the "you're not going to be on YOTATECH all day" speech already.

I thought we were losing you in one of your earlier posts....so glad to see you back with those details.

But, seriously, if there is more than 1 washer / gasket thingy there, I'm screwed too....so I'm waiting to hear what everybody else has to say.
oh, no, i was never lost, i just like clarification before doing something stupid. i lack confidence, but not skill.

oh and sorry, i posted the question about the crush washer in its own thread, and they came back and said you do in fact need 2, which is what i thought. good luck finding one at a parts dealership. they only cost $1 at toyota, but plan ahead, cuz they'll have to order it. i'm stranded, still, until at least monday.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
By "losing you", I meant that I thought you were mad and frustrated that you weren't able to get the answer you needed since you made the comment about making a new thread.

I didn't mean we were beyond your skill level. Please let that comment I made be clarified for you. I am a "newbie" of sorts and am trying to be helpful as much as I am capable of. Most of this stuff is BEYOND ME but I am learning as I go along as well as learning from what other YOTATECH'ers do and have done. All you have to do is read MY thread and you will see I am full of my own questions and hesitations and questions and more questions.

So, I didn't mean to come across as sounding insulting if that's the way you took it. I am certainly in no way,shape or form anywhere near being an expert at any of this.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
By "losing you", I meant that I thought you were mad and frustrated that you weren't able to get the answer you needed since you made the comment about making a new thread.

I didn't mean we were beyond your skill level. Please let that comment I made be clarified for you. I am a "newbie" of sorts and am trying to be helpful as much as I am capable of. Most of this stuff is BEYOND ME but I am learning as I go along as well as learning from what other YOTATECH'ers do and have done. All you have to do is read MY thread and you will see I am full of my own questions and hesitations and questions and more questions.

So, I didn't mean to come across as sounding insulting if that's the way you took it. I am certainly in no way,shape or form anywhere near being an expert at any of this.

i didn't even remotely take offense at it. no worries.

as for learning, there's no possible way my truck wouldn't already be in a junk yard (about 6 different times now) if it wasn't for yotatech! i've been seriously considering upgrading and just donating my truck (the rust is getting bad, and i mean REALLY bad). but now that i got the head gasket fixed, if i can get my starter issue resolved, and it looks like i won't have much problem fixing my diff leak, then the only other issue that bothers me is the rear window being stuck. at that point, i see no reason to get another truck, which is great cuz i'm laid off and on a strict budget!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 AM

OK, so long as were are straight on all that.

Anyway, on with the show...........

Yes, even I have contemplated the early demise of my truck.

As far as that Cold start injector thing goes, I was VERY meticulous about bagging a labeling and not losing anything. So I'm gonna say that mine only had 1 on. Now, keep in mind my head was done years ago by the dealer, so it may have had 2 on then, but only 1 now and no leaks.

I would like to see a picture of 2 of them on. there are certainly some current builds going on and have also been a few recent builds so this stuff should be fresh for alot of people.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I know I had 2 on each fuel lines and now I have 1 on the fuel rail and 1 on the cold start injector. I figured I try it and if I needed them I'd go and get em. But so far I'm alright. Those little washers are quite elusive when they go running from ya.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:39 AM

Research...pfft.

I gonna go check my bags of stuff to see if i have any "extras"....i will also check my pictures.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 AM

well i got good news and bad news. i got my crush washers. i installed the fuel line again with the new washers.

the good news is that it ran beautifully. not only did it start up and stay running, not only did it not appear to leak any more coolant (or oil for that matter), but it accelerated SOOOOO much smoother! i'm guessing that means that not only did i have a coolant leak, but i also had low compression too. bonus! i didn't even have to set timing cuz it was idling and accelerating so perfectly!

the bad news is that when i popped my hood after my maiden voyage to check for leakage, i noticed fuel weeping from the fuel line at the cold start injector. i tightened it just a wee bit more and it started squirting (from remaining fuel pressure). i got my torque wrench, went to actually torque it (thinking it was way under cuz i didn't put much force into it), and it never got even remotely tight. so i removed the banjo bolt, and sure enough, the threads are gone. DAMMIT!!! so now i gotta go see if i can find a generic banjo bolt at autozone. i'm guessing i stripped it trying to tighten past the original leak back before i noticed i was missing the washers and when i re-installed it this time with washers i just made it much worse.

so what are the chances that the mating part (the cold start injector) still has good threads? and just in case, anyone got a spare one with good threads? and/or good banjo bolt?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM

grrrrr, can't get that banjo bolt from anywhere, now i gotta order it from the dealership. and be stranded for a few more days. awesome.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:54 PM

Can't find a pick-n-pull anywhere?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:33 AM

ha! a u-pull-it with a toyota in it around detroit? fat chance! i have a hard time finding NEW parts around detroit, let alone used! i get dirty looks every single time i go to autozone and tell them what vehicle i need a part for. it's wierd, cuz i grew up on the west side of michigan, about 3 hours away from detroit, and it was completely different over there. but wow, in detroit metro, with all the auto industry people, attitudes are quite different about foreign vehicles here. MUCH more so than any other place in the country i've ever been. funny thing is, i moved here when i became an engineer at chrysler! (and still drove my 4runner to work!)
Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 AM

Ya I guess I should have read where you reside...sorry my bad.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM

success! i FINALLY got the fuel line banjo bolt all settled and tapped the threads and put it back together and NO more leak! hooray!

so, a few things.
1. i'm amazed at how smooth it accelerates now. i've NEVER had it accelerate smoothly, and i've owned it for i think 6 years now. any clue as to why? is it possible that in addition to my coolant leak that i also had low compression causing uneven acceleration?
2. i noticed a drop of oil underneath on my driveway. i'm a BIT concerned, cuz it's never leaked oil before. i'm a bit worried i screwed something up. but realistically, it's probably just residual oil left over from when i removed the head and spilled all that oil up top everywhere, right? RIGHT? there's also a ton of green droplets everywhere underneath too. i'm guessing it'll take awhile and a few good drives on a rainy day to clean all that crap out. anyone want to put my mind at ease?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 PM

I'll say this much, you sure are ambitious.

Good job fixing that up.

I'll probably say what's only common sense anyway but here it goes........check / recheck / check again. get a small mirror or one of those things they check your teeth with like a mirror on a stick and look where you can't obviously see when you are just standing there.

to me, it could be that there is some residual oil that is working it's way down due to vibration etc.......but bear in mind that IAMSUPERBLEEDER did have a head issue after his rebuild and had coolant showing on the side of the head. I believe this was taken care of easily with a re-torque.

I love pizza boxes. Take one and put it underneath to try to identify WHERE this is coming from. gravity wins every time but you may have to trace up quite a bit to find the culprit area.

agree or disagree, after your rebuild, maybe a nice bath for your engine would be in order. I'm not a huge fan of engine washing and have had my issues with rough idle and hard starts afterwards but in regards to identifying a leak, that may be your best bet
Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 PM

Congratulations!!! I think 92 summed it up. Give it an easy rinse off. Not to get too much wet. I think this will help you out with the drips. Go from there.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:46 AM

yeah, i'm not too excited at the thought of spraying pressurized water in there. i think i'll just let the rain do it's job (coming up from the road) and continue paying attention.

i did notice today that i have a bit of a miss going on (every second or so), so i'll have to play with that. i might've just knocked a plug wire loose or something simple like that.

also, i can smell just a hint of exhaust in the cabin, but that just means i lost my gamble. i did NOT replace my exhaust gaskets, i just reused the old ones, hoping to save some money. oh well, it was worth a shot, and they are easy enough to replace, especially now that the bolts/nuts are all loose on the manifold.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 AM

I've washed my engine several times, but the last time and one time a long time ago, i had a helluva time getting it started and getting it to run right. this went away after it sat for awhile.

I might recommend good degreaser and a garden hose so you could be more deliberate about where you are cleaning.

Or, just saw screw it to the washing of the engine get some good light, some mirrors and have a look-see. i would highly doubt that drips of anything are a precursor to a major failure........but not knowing where they are coming from would bug the snot out of me.

Here's a small trick to see if you are leaking....believe it or not (and you better believe it) this has it's roots in my medical background...................take a coffe filter and hold it at any supect areas and touch the area. if it's oil it will WICK oil, if it's oil AND water it will WICK both but the water will form a crown (it will go farther on the filter).

Ask me what we use this for and I will GROSS you out......HINT, it has to do with head injury.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:53 AM

Gunked-up Head Bolts

Does anyone know why this happens?
head gasket time. . . .-img_3098.jpg