Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 06:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out the wiring for my transmission swap and I just can't quite figure it out. I have a 1991 Toyota 4runner with the 3VZE that I've recently swapped from Automatic to manual among a few other things, but I'm struggling to figure out why my connectors seem different than the FSM EWD ones outlined.

So, on my wiring loom from the automatic transmission, I have these connectors:

Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring-ivsv3y1.jpg

Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring-z2wj74o.jpg

Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring-dr5o6ln.jpg

And, on the interior of the vehicle, these connectors were connected to the shifters.

Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring-6lofiub.jpg

Now I'm trying to hunt down connector P1 outlined in the FSM EWD. Here it is in both the starting circuit and the transmission control circuit.

Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring-t3eogxe.jpg

Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring-trnyofz.jpg

This should be straight forward. Locate connector P1, jump connection 5+6 so the ECU is tricked in to thinking that the vehicle is in neutral all the time (so I can start my truck). Pins 4 + 8 should be connected to the reverse switch, which would allow the reverse lights to work. However, the issue is, this is what the connector is supposed to look like:

Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring-ldqr2n0.jpg

Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring-cxrlgov.jpg

And the closest connector I have is the first picture I posted:

Click image for larger version

Name:	iVSV3Y1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	659.4 KB
ID:	207639

Obviously very different, but I simply can't find the same pinout. I've tried looking at the loom at all angles and even the FSM locates the P1 right beside the rest of the loom.

Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring-fxfq8h3.jpg

I have jumped the middle two connections (A black/white wire, and black wire) and when I turn the key to start, it engages the fuel pump injection sequence. When the connections aren't jumped, the fuel pump down not engage. I'm thinking another pin should engage the neutral safety, I'm just struggling to figure this out after 4 hours of messing around under there. Just for my own sanity, I plugged the shifters into the connectors inside the truck again, and it makes no difference, it still won't turn over (which I thought would be the case).I checked all the fuses and connections a few times over, I simply don't know what to do.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I don't know enough about electrical troubleshooting to hunt this down efficiently. If someone could help me out, I would appreciate it a lot!
Attached Thumbnails Having trouble with my transmission swap wiring-ivsv3y1.jpg  
Old 05-23-2021, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any solution yet?

Originally Posted by vokeyz
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out the wiring for my transmission swap and I just can't quite figure it out. I have a 1991 Toyota 4runner with the 3VZE that I've recently swapped from Automatic to manual among a few other things, but I'm struggling to figure out why my connectors seem different than the FSM EWD ones outlined.

So, on my wiring loom from the automatic transmission, I have these connectors:

And, on the interior of the vehicle, these connectors were connected to the shifters.

Now I'm trying to hunt down connector P1 outlined in the FSM EWD. Here it is in both the starting circuit and the transmission control circuit.

This should be straight forward. Locate connector P1, jump connection 5+6 so the ECU is tricked in to thinking that the vehicle is in neutral all the time (so I can start my truck). Pins 4 + 8 should be connected to the reverse switch, which would allow the reverse lights to work. However, the issue is, this is what the connector is supposed to look like:

And the closest connector I have is the first picture I posted:

Obviously very different, but I simply can't find the same pinout. I've tried looking at the loom at all angles and even the FSM locates the P1 right beside the rest of the loom.

I have jumped the middle two connections (A black/white wire, and black wire) and when I turn the key to start, it engages the fuel pump injection sequence. When the connections aren't jumped, the fuel pump down not engage. I'm thinking another pin should engage the neutral safety, I'm just struggling to figure this out after 4 hours of messing around under there. Just for my own sanity, I plugged the shifters into the connectors inside the truck again, and it makes no difference, it still won't turn over (which I thought would be the case).I checked all the fuses and connections a few times over, I simply don't know what to do.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I don't know enough about electrical troubleshooting to hunt this down efficiently. If someone could help me out, I would appreciate it a lot!
im getting ready to do the same swap in a 95 have you figured the wiring out yet?