Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hard start, slow/hesitant acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard start, slow/hesitant acceleration

Allright, ive searched the forums and i can not find any cases that match mine exactly...i have an 86 4runner with a 22re automatic...ive been chasing these problems for awhile and i would like to get some feedback before i start droping to much money into things it may not be...

The symptoms

Hard starting doesn't matter if it is hot or cold outside but once it warms up it is fine
On acceleration from an idle on an easy take-off it will stumble and bog down and i have to jump on the throttle to get it going until it is warmed up
It idles fine and any time im on the throttle more than half way everything is fine...
It isnt losing gas milage(it actually picked a a couple after i put on my cold air intake tube from lc engineering)

i have replaced my coil, distributor rotor and cap
ive also replaced the cold start valve with three others i had and that i know are good
Fuel pressure is fine i can not remeber what it was at this time but was in factory specs
As i said new air intake tube and boots as well as new air filter
Replaced fuel filter as well

I have not moved on any further because of the mixed symptoms, i have people telling me its fuel or air related like the fuel pump, egr valve, o2 sensor and tps
Others tell me its electrical with my distributor, distributor pick up coil or my distributors vaccum advance

i would like to try and narrow it down because im on a budgets so any help or feedback would be awesome

Thanks in advance