86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

replacing the factory o2 sensor with aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o2 sensor, VAFM upgrade, coil upgrade and injector upgrade

1. gday all, thinking about renewing my o2 sensor on the 3vze powered 4runner, i havnt got an engine code yet, but the car has 430,000k's (270,000ish miles) and i dont think it has ever been changed. now instead of paying $120+ for a factory o2 sensor, can i get any universal 4 wire o2 sensor and solder it to the factory connector? or do all these different o2 sensors give different readings based on their internal construction/calibration to suit different vehicles (i would think that it IS safe to assume that all o2 sensors would be required to give the same reading because its part of emissions testing...and an o2 reading is, well- an o2 reading...no ifs, buts, or ands)

ive got an aftermarket cat with an o2 sensor bung before the cat, so i dont specifically need the toyota direct repacement sensor with the 2 hole mounting plate (i dont think i would have much luck removing it without breaking anything either...shes fairly well weathered in there) we actually cut the entire o2 sensor and housing out of the old exhaust, and welded it onto the new exhaust, simply because i didnt have a new o2 sensor to replace it at the time, and we didnt know what effect it would have on the engine if we left it out altogether (aside from throwing a code and running rich/rough)

on another note, if i was to test the original o2 sensor and it was within spec, and i did fit another o2 sensor for the ecu side of things, could i still successfully use the old one with an o2/afr gauge, or would i potentially run into issues by teeing into the power and earth for the ecu sensor, to power the gauge sensor...or does the gauge run its own power to the sensor to retrieve the signal?

2. ive read about the afm upgrades and thinking about doing one myself, will an afm off of an 88-92 cressida mx83 fit (pn 22250-42080) i ask because the part number for the cressida i found on another thread was an earlier model with a different part number. will this afm bolt to the factory 3vze airbox directly or even with a few simple mods like extra screw holes and a dab of silicone to seal old holes? i cannot find the outlet diameter information again for the life of me. i came across the specs the other day comparing the 3vze to the 7mge afm and i recall the upgrade will require a larger pipe or coupler to attach it to the intake pipe? can someone please confirm sizing for me. i want to know if it can be mated to the original airbox because i have already ordered a k&n filter to suit the original airbox, plus i have done the isr mod, and made my own custom snorkel to suit the factory airbox (i could modify to suit the cressida box, but i would rather not), or will this k&n filter also fit into the same cressidas airbox? i recall reading they are virtually identical but the cressidas airbox runs horizontally as opposed to the 4runners vertical setup, and the factory 4runner filter will fit in the cressidas box (k&n could be a different story though).

3. is the 7mge coil upgrade a worthy mod, and is it a direct plug and play upgrade? where or what can i source a set of 8mm leads from? again, is this a worthy mod? (im not expecting even 5hp from this, just curious if its a noticeable improvement mod)

4. regarding the flamethrower injectors, i have tried the links on older threads that link to the ebay store, but theyre all dead. and after browzing ebay i could only find bosch 4 hole upgraded injectors, i couldnt find anything relating to flamethrower either in the item description, or the ebay sellers name. im also curious about the various models (greys, oranges, yellows), and what the best/most current/least problematic injector series is. i read the oranges were better than the greys, and now theres a completely yellow injector to confuse things. if there is a valid and working link for an ebay listing, or even direct contact details for the seller, i would really appreciate getting my hands on those

Last edited by Turtl3; 05-08-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have looked the part number up for an O2 sensor and then placed it in ebays part search and usually come up with a lot cheaper price and able to stay OEM. I would stay away from after market parts and especially on the O2 sensor and TPS.

Check sparkplugs.com and see what they have for OEM sensors.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Everyone always says Toyotas prefer Denso o2 sensors. Otherwise you'll be replacing the off brand sooner than later and may as well have spend the extra $15. Stealership is ridiculous pricing, I always got mine online and have only had one go bad (in my cruiser), every other Toyota vehicles been fine.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Denso is OEM

NTK is another high quality Made in Japan brand.

My experience is that the NTKs' are just as good as the Densos are.

I buy by price, between the two.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:37 PM

Sparkplugs.com has both the denso and the ngk. Ill go with the denso because its oem and a little cheaper. Any feedback on the other mods fellas? Im waiting for mudhippy or wyoming to chime in...seem like knowledgeable blokes
Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I go with the Denso 02 sensors because if I need one fast they are sold by Napa.

I call it shows up !!

Injectors unless your changing cams or going forced induction to need more fuel the stock are fine get them cleaned and flow tested.

You can do all the Mods you want weather you gain anything who can say .

I learned my lessons in my misguided youth spent $$$$ trying to go just a little faster .

I have no clue if taping into the ECU circuit might cause the check engine light to be on all the time.

One would need to sit down and find out just what signals need to be seen.

There was an upgrade for the 22Re that used the 5MGE from the 82 Supra I can only guess as that engine was also used in the Cressida those parts might work also.

To do this correct your going to need the EWD`s for both vehicles the plugs for sure will not be plug and play even if they might look that way.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 AM

There are a couple of threads on doing the 7mge vafm swap onto the 3vze, ive done alot of reading since posting this thread. Its a plug and play mod but requires some fine tuning of idle screws and adjusting the cog inside the afm to get the correct afr. This is also why im curious about getting a new o2 and maintaing the old one purely for afr readings. I know it wont be a wideband, but itll be better than nothing. And after looking at the afms, i dont think i will be able to maintain the original 4runner airbox, i would have to get the cressida box and cut a hole in the bottom to accept my snorkel.

Im wondering what exactly the difference between the 3vze and 7mge coils are. I cannot find any info on this, but i have seen that someone upgraded their coil to the 7mge, as it states this in their signature, this also looks to be plug and play.

The spark leads are available through ebay. Either $65 7mm (eagle) or $115 8mm (ultra hipro) leads can be purchased. Personally i would just go the 7mm as theyre half the price and i dont think there would be any discernible difference between the 7mm and 8mm.

I have no idea what sort of condition my current injectors r in, and it is so much easier (and probably cheaper) to swap them out, rather than spend time waiting and paying to have them tested and overhauled. So again, if anyone can point me in the direction of the flamethrowers and let me know what the differences between yellows greys and oranges r, that would be excellent.