Got my locker today and i'm stoked

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash319
Check out the question marks dude.

I ask because I am thinking of getting one but said to myself
"self (I knew it was me because I recognized the voice) you should put a lunchbox in there"
but then I said
"maybe save some money and just weld it because they are designed to lock under load which is most of the time"
I was interested in what made 88clev4runner decide to go this route. I DD my truck most of the time but I do need a lock axel sometimes when I am at my camp pulling firewood through mud holes.

After reading on the Aussie site I am back leaning towards a lunchbox over weld. Way to go guys

I didn't mean to come off as harsh as I did.

Im just sick of all the bullcrap you read online about these things. When I got into my truck and drove it for the first time after installing the locker... I said, thats it??

Everyone who had driven my truck (with the locker) has commented that its not NEARLY as bad as everyone claims it to be, and my truck can be quite a handfull!

I would defantly do it all again, if I had the money I would probibly have gone with an e-locker... But hey $250 vs $800 for a re-geared e-locker... I aint made of money. And on the trail you will keep right up to the guy with the selectible
Old 07-12-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice locker, I've heard good things about aussie lockers. I've been running a full detroit in the rear of my 85 for a few years now and I love it. I cant comment on the lunchbox lockers because I've never drove with one, but I know with my locker you dont want to nail the gas going around corners especially when its raining and you have bald tires. I agree with some of the above post that lockers are not as bad as some people make them out to be but it all depends on how you drive your truck.

Last edited by 854x4; 07-12-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Well, its all the driver. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I feel im a pretty good driver. I tend to bag on my truck most of the time, once you learn how your truck slides its easy to control.

If you want to make it slide, its easy. If you don't its easy. The only times it has cought me off gaurd is the high speed off camber accelleration corners (from a stop up a big hill for instance). Once the weight comes off the rear end it likes to walk out on you. But with proper throttle control and steering its no problem. I can't comment how they handle with a 22re, the lack of power might help this problem....

Nothing like seeing a lifted yota on 33's doing full drifts around roundabouts

Last edited by Jay351; 07-12-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by toylocost
Man I need to find someone down here with one and drive it before I go and buy one. I really just want to get selactable cuz I dont want ta have to worry about the driving characteristics at all.
Ive driven people around, and let people drive my truck, and they couldn't tell it was back there
Old 07-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Well, its all the driver. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I feel im a pretty good driver. I tend to bag on my truck most of the time, once you learn how your truck slides its easy to control.

If you want to make it slide, its easy. If you don't its easy. The only times it has cought me off gaurd is the high speed off camber accelleration corners (from a stop up a big hill for instance). Once the weight comes off the rear end it likes to walk out on you. But with proper throttle control and steering its no problem. I can't comment how they handle with a 22re, the lack of power might help this problem....

Nothing like seeing a lifted yota on 33's doing full drifts around roundabouts
Yep its all driver. I was trying to make the green light on a left turn when it was raining and I had bald 32" mud tires on. I fishtailed for two blocks.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:20 PM

ladies ladies no need to get all huffy puffy haha just playing. to answer flash's ?'s i paid $282 and some change(shipping included) and $118 to have it put in the third and a pinion seal replaced. and i chose this way, not because i don't trust how some fella's around here weld, but i just liked the peace of mind of having a lock and not having the weld. i was this close () to welding it, and then i changed my mind to a spool for the peace of mind, and then after reading so many good reviews on this type i decided i'd go with it. i had people tell me to weld it, spool it, lunchbox it, selectable it, you'll get input from everybody. the best advice i can give you is talk to people who have used any of the options you are considering and do some research and read reviews. thats what i did and i sat with this one. i haven't gotten a chance to wheel it yet because CROLISON lost my axle nuts... so once i get a good chance(might be hard with school and work) i'll write up about it on here.

and John, my aussie was on back order for about 2 weeks, it felt like forever. i had called several times only to find out it had already been shipped and had arrived the previous day. but waiting three months would have gotten under my skin too. heck i was only waiting for 2 or 3 weeks before i was starting to think about a lockright. but i'm happy, i got it, its in, just those dang axle nuts........Chris!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:23 PM

oh and if you are considering this, read Matt16's review on it. it influenced me.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

He did do a dandy job on that review!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Ive driven people around, and let people drive my truck, and they couldn't tell it was back there

I think the weight of the 4Runners makes the locker a bit more noticeable. I can definitely tell there is a locker in the rear, especially in parking lots trying to make tight turns into parking spots. Sometimes it will lock/unlock very loudly pulling into a parking spot, turning sharp. I'm still learning how to drive it on the streets though. I've heard from quite a few people that the pickups aren't as bad due to the weight difference.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

I think the pickups are worse. When I have a heavy load in the bed the locker acts great!

Of course its sometimes a handfull in parking lots, I have just learned to coast around all tight corners when possible. I don't even notice it when I drive now, its become a habit
Old 07-12-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Cleve4runner
CROLISON lost my axle nuts... just those dang axle nuts........Chris!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
I have just learned to coast around all tight corners when possible.
For me it seems way worse when I do that. If I go from on the gas to off the gas/clutch pushed in while turning sharp it gets very loud and jerky. It seems like I have to give it a slight bit of gas to keep it steady while turning, otherwise I get a bunch of people staring at me thinking my rear end is about to fall out lol.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:04 PM

i knew you'd pop on here with or without a migrain chris haha. hopefully my 98 will be the only one seeing any parking lots, but who knows. hopefully i can get everything back on and rolling tomorrow. i may have to hit a few of my old high school stomping ground trails just to play around with it until i can hit up windrock or something.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 PM

yeah cleve, it was very annoying when i called aussie and they told me it is on the way twice and i never seen it only to have them tell me on the 3rd cal that it was still back ordered and had not shipped. i think that took the cake. as for the clicking i used tome of the limited slip additive in mine. i used to much so i drained a quart and added in some fresh. all gravey now. just remember if you use that slick stuff to only use half of the tube that they say to add all of.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:19 PM

i ordered mine on the 22nd and the guy i talked to said they had a load leaving the outback that friday... yeah bull crap haha. but oh well, i'm not complaining until i can actually get a chance to wheel it.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
For me it seems way worse when I do that. If I go from on the gas to off the gas/clutch pushed in while turning sharp it gets very loud and jerky. It seems like I have to give it a slight bit of gas to keep it steady while turning, otherwise I get a bunch of people staring at me thinking my rear end is about to fall out lol.
you gotta find that sweet spot on the gas pedal, or amount of steering wheel turning.

if you have the wheel turned to hard, wether your coasting or not it will buck

it takes a bit to get used to, but is well worth it. f' 1tire burnouts
Old 07-14-2009, 06:35 PM

ok i took it for a little trial run and played around on some rocks and did a few loose dirt hill climbs. the locker did amazing! i didn't have to fly up the loose hillclimpbs like before, i just gave it a little gas and it crawled right up. the rocks were noticeably easier to get up on too, a front locker would have been perfect for that, but the rear helps out so so so much! most people say turning with the aussie, you can't hear it. but most people don't ride around w/ a busted out rear window and front windows always rolled down. so in full turns i could hear a noticeably loud clanking noise. and even going straight you could hear a faint clank... never heard of that, but the locker works so i'm stoked as stated in the title!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 PM

I concur. It worked well today. Your runner is transforming into a little beast. It did very well, and as soon I get another yota that is one of the first things I will order. Aussie FTW!!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
I think the weight of the 4Runners makes the locker a bit more noticeable. I can definitely tell there is a locker in the rear, especially in parking lots trying to make tight turns into parking spots. Sometimes it will lock/unlock very loudly pulling into a parking spot, turning sharp. I'm still learning how to drive it on the streets though. I've heard from quite a few people that the pickups aren't as bad due to the weight difference.
I would have suspected the the opposite! I have a locker in my samurai and some times it doesn't unlock when I turn and slow speeds....I just figured that was due to the zuk being so light weight. It doesn't bother me because it's not making noise!! I figured when I put a locker in my truck that i would notice it locking / unlocking more since the truck is heavier and has a fiberglass cap on the bed.

I've DD'd my zuk and not been unhappy with the lockright and I'm going to put something similar in the yota when I regear after getting bigger tires. I *might* go selectable in the front diff. That way I don't have adverse steering characteristics on snowy roads and icy bridges.