Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Good sources for new 2wd leaf springs? Problems removing spring from pack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Good sources for new 2wd leaf springs? Problems removing spring from pack?

I have an '88 2wd pickup, and a some years ago I replaced the rear axle and springs with a set from a parts truck I had, which was another 2wd Toyota that I think someone modified. The springs on it now have 3 in the pack while the originals only had 2. The ride is rough, it does not handle as well, and the rear end is quite a bit higher. I basically have two questions. Does anyone have any good sources for new leaf springs for a 2wd pickup? I can find them everywhere for 4x4s, but nothing, at least from reputable companies, for the 2wd pickups.

Does anyone see a problem with removing a leaf from the pack? I have searched the internet, and people seem to have mixed opinions. Some say it is fine as long as you remove it from the bottom of the pack, while others say the spring is engineered as a pack and it will wear faster or possibly fail if one is removed. Most of those threads were talking about removing springs to lower a truck, not just to restore the original height.

Last edited by the_supernerd; 11-22-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

General Spring out of Kansas City If your looking for stock type replacement springs

They are my go to people for springs

I have had great Customer service

Removing a leaf from a pack one just never knows .

If you decide your going to need to do it use brand new springs

Old springs get used to being in the pack remove one all the stresses are now different
Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the response. That makes sense how the springs would settle in to each other, which could also explain why I find such conflicting information online. I will look into General Spring, thanks for the recommendation.