Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Going in for the recall and a bunch of other work tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going in for the recall and a bunch of other work tomorrow

Wish me luck. My Runner will be at the stealership all day tomorrow. They are doing the steering rod recall, spindle bushings, OEM rotors, OEM pads, brake flush and hopefully that is it. My powersteering pump needs rebuilt too but they told me that would be 3 hours labor... I think I can handle it leaking a little bit for $300 bucks in labor!! Hopefully they don't find anything else in the front end while they have it apart. Be curious if the spindle bearings cure my mystery noise. The passenger side one is completely gone. I'll post how my recall experience went. Little curious about that considering I have a 2" BL and a spacer in my steering rod.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck. I just had the recall done on mine yesterday. Thankfully they did not try to tell me anything else was wrong with it to get more money out of me.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't read clear through the 5 page thread on this subject but I recalled seeing something about having to get it aligned afterwards do you know if they did yours or not? They might have to do it anyways I guess after pulling the spindles off to press them new bearings in.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
An alignment is part of the recall. Beware though, others have had to pay for more work because the stealership found worn parts while doing the recall. Hope this doesn't happen to you.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Yeah they did the steering rod on my runner last week. I told them in advance that the steering kit was busted and leaking (slowly) so they wouldn't tell me I needed to fix it. As for replacing other parts and making you pay for it... I think in the memo it says they have to replace various other parts if they are bad (tie rods etc.) Ask to see the memo if they insist on you paying for anything.
Otherwise it was a good trip.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, they give it an alingment. When you go in tell them ahead of time to fix only what you are there for. Thats what I did and the dealership did only that. I didn't even get a suggestive list of what they want to fix.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Ya it shouldn't be a problem because I am already having them replace the stuff that I know needs fixed. If they find anything else I'll check it out for myself and go from there. I'll post how it went. I think they told me I will get a car to drive since it's recall work. Maybe they will give me an 05 Taco.. I would sure like to have one..haha
Old 12-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Well I just got the dreaded call from the stealership. Going to cost $600 bucks more than I planned and it sucks because almost all of what they found wrong I could do myself but they can't get it out of their shop without fixing the stuff. The tech said the upper balljoint fell apart when he took apart the spindle and the other one the stud snapped off. Also the spindle bushing was so toast on that one side it pitted and ruined the axle shaft. So instead of the $70 bucks I usually pay for a shaft I get me a geniune Toyota one for $$$$$. I figured my ball joints were about due anyways but it still blows paying for their labor rates when I could do it myself. Also now they have to keep my rig overnight and all day tomorrow. Good thing I dont' have to work tomorrow. Ranting aside I guess I shouldn't complain too much I've put 65K on my runner in the 4 years I've owned it and besides normal maintanence and a clutch this the first time I've actually HAD to put money into it. It should be pretty much good to go after this trip to the doctor though. $1400 Toy bill the week after christmas
Old 12-29-2005, 12:12 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You shoulda read the entire 5 page post ... the EXACT same thing happened to me - you would have known what to do about it!

The tie rods are supposed to be "coverable" under the recall work, but it seems dealerships do not know that. Work to get the dealership to submit that as warranty work to Toyota - your best bet for satisfaction is the dealership, but if not, file a complaint with Toyota (like I did - instructions in other thread)

I would highly recommend playing the "there's plenty of other Toyota dealers around" and "this lack of service is certainly going to influence my future car buying decisions" cards...
Old 12-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Well the tie rods were in good shape and everything else they need to fix I knew needed done as well I had just been putting it off. I'll go back and read that whole thread though since I can't leave my house.... :pat:
Old 12-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I knew this would happen to you too. This is the one reason why I haven't taken mine in yet.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Well it's now 3pm on day two. I dropped it off at 730am yesterday. I called over 2 hours ago and asked when it was going to be done with the promise that I would be called right back. I don't really need my truck today but I am going to be one pissed off dude if I dont' get it back till tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:45 AM

Unhappy Previous 5pg thread

Hey,
Can anyone link to the previous 5pg thread that everyone keeps talking about?
I'm thinking of taking my 94 T4R in for the steering column recall and wanting to know what would be covered and what wouldn’t? I'd hate to get stuck with a Stealer bill for something I could've gotten done cheaper elsewhere!
Thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:53 AM

sabah,

its the top stickied thread at the top of this subforum. hit the "86-95 trucks and 4runner" link up top

bob
Old 07-24-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealership I took mine to to get the recall done was totally cool. They guys were nice, and quick about getting me set up and all. It took almost 3 hours though, and they wouldnt provide a car for me, so I had to sit there (gf was at work). I had to ask for the alignment, they didnt do it automatically, and the dealership I took it to had some sort of different alignment machine? I think I recall them telling me that they could only check a couple of the specs instead of a full alignment or something...but that could be a pipe dream. It didnt help anyway though, my crappy town and country tires wont balance. Time for an upgrade!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:06 PM

i took mine in after it broke on me while i was driving! luckily i was just driving out of my neighborhood. they replaced the relay rod and they said i would need an alignment, but it steers just fine. maybe they did it.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take it from a toyota tech. the alignment is part of the recall.and they can replace the tie rods under the recall because they have to work properly to align it.everything else is just suggested work and you dont have to do it, just know the alignment may not be right if there are other worn parts. and if anything else brakes while they are working on it they should cover that too since it wasnt broke untill they worked on it. now if you have worn parts on your truck and can fix it yourself then do it befor you take it in and then you shouldnt get [THE DREDDED PHONE CALL].

Last edited by mr toytech; 07-24-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:25 PM

15 pages worth!

Man, just got done reading through it all.
Learned a lot, forgot even more... hope some of it sticks.
One quick question. My passenger side lower control arm bushings are gone (prob due to an earlier oil leak) and it makes a creaking noise... should I try and replace those or do you guys think it could be covered under the recall?
thanks!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wait why do you have to pay for all the extra stuff they find. do they call you at least to ask if you want it fixed? that sounds like it should be a fatty lawsuit.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

I went in to get a little part and this shop foreman/ sellsman say's "hay we got a recall on those ...it's free" the hairs on my neck went up, my spidy senses said, run, run don't look back les you be turned to salt haha. I know the drill get it way up on a left to high to just drive it off and say we gotta have 1500$ to give you're vehicle back

Quick Reply: Going in for the recall and a bunch of other work tomorrow