Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

getting annoyed with the yota, encouragment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting annoyed with the yota, encouragment?

alright, so i have a few posts on here, i rescued this yota from some meth heads and iv been trying to get it in to working order for around 6 months and im loosing patients with it. its a 87 toyota SR5 4x4 5 speed, its seen better days, i was going to fix the bed but after looking at all the flat beds i thought about building a flat for it. but id almost rather drive it off a canyon at this point. lol. i gave 600.00 for the toyota and a 86 parts truck sr5 4x4 ext cab. iv fixed a bit on it, here is what iv done. head gasket, rebuilt carb, water pump, timing cover gasket, shocks, oil, k&n breather, this annoying part on the back of the motor that leaks water, new fuel filters. here is what i need to do to it, the ebrake for some reason when the ebrake light is on the truck runs, when its off it dies, iv managed to keep the light on and dont really care about that as long as it stays on. the motor is a 84ish so that sucks it is a 22r but there isnt anything of power in the motor, i just took it for its first road test and the steering wheel shook o so bad, so iv got to do that too. the body is roughish, the bed is of course rusted, the brake light wiring has to be redone, and the temp gauge and fuel gauge doesnt work.... lol i like the truck alot, but just getting down on it. i want a work truck/ river truck. any encouragement? iv thought about selling it, there is a nice 89 toyota 4x4 on craigs for 1800 147*** miles on it... i just hate giving up on something that iv put alot of time in too... help, also what do you think its worth. i know pics would help ill try to post some. o yea the motor is a turd on the power... lol not to mention some reject put a glass pack on it....

Last edited by CountryYota; 04-01-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a yota, don't give up.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Temp and fuel gauge could be the sending units. Temp gauge isn't so bad, fuel gauge imo is a pita. There will be better answers than mine, so wait, and be patient grasshoppa.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 PM

lol i know, the truck has issues but i dont wanna give up on it... lol sounds weird. also is this truck worth the 1800

"I just fixed this truck and got it out of the shop yesterday, i put in new head gaskets because it was heating up but that problem is fixed. It has a 3.0 v6 with a 5 speed tranny. It runs good, it is rust free has a small dent on driver side fender thats it. I put in new turner signal lights on it and did the tune up like 2 weeks ago and have not used it very much since it was in the shop getting fixed. The 4 wheel drive works great HI and LOW. The interior is kinda dirty and has a rip on the driver side part of the seat besides that the inside is good. Also has front KC lights that need to get connected. Has clean kansas title and tags are still up till may. If you want to know more call"
Old 04-01-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd say that truck's at least worth a look. "Market value" doesnt really mean anything. What's it worth to you? On your first question, DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR YOTA! After a long and arduous ordeal, i just finished my first engine rebuild and installation and took it for a drive. I didn't realize how much i missed it, even just for those couple months. Just way too much fun to get rid of.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:02 PM

yea i understand what your saying its a labor of love in a way, does anyone know any good sites for flat beds, id almost build one, but have a fear of it not being level. im looking at tires now and i dont know what else. i have a good front clip for it, doors need work and cab. does anyone know if they make a piller gauges for it, im going to run my own temp gauge i think

Last edited by CountryYota; 04-01-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:40 PM

I tell ya i get discouraged probably regulary with my numerous vehicles. Never enough time, and never enough money. You know the few vehicles I pretty much never lose hope with? (Besides my 95 Mustang GT) Our 4 Runners. I've kept in mind that it just all takes time. I miss riding in the mud with the family and now that I'm grown, I've got to get everything running again so we can all go as a family, plus my own children. Whatever your goal may be, it's really up to you what it's worth like Inferno451 says. My friend told me it was stupid the other day to be considering spending over $4k for a 3.4L swap into our 95 4Runner. I disagree, because I do not like the next generation body style. It's all about your preference of course, but just take a break. Hop on the googlz and search for some nice pics of your model in Images. That may shed some new light and inspiration on your Yota

I remember from when I was little. (80s child)

I LOVE WHAT YOU DO FOR ME, TOYOTA!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgoTXkXqxbA
(to clarify, I don't think that's an 80's commercial, because that's not an 80's model 4Runner )
I hope you venture out into some searches and what you find brings new Toyota induced ambition as I regularly do.

Last edited by ZeroHour; 04-01-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

We all get to this point sooner or later.

it does indeed get old always working on these Trucks. If there is pressure or some sort of deadline it just makes it worse. When the fun is gone and one needs to do the work it gets old.

it does help sometimes to be able to just walk away and leave them sit for awhile if it is possible.

Not everybody can do this

When I sit down and pay my monthly bills between autoparts vendors and Toyota it wouldbe far cheaper to just have a brand new Truck but not near as much fun.

Hang in there it will workout.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 AM

the guy is asking 1800, for the yota, also any ideas or site for flat beds, id like to make one or buy one. i cant give up on the little fella...
Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 AM

So, it seems that it wont stop raining in oklahoma, so i think ill take the yota out and see if the 4wd works muahahaha. my dad keeps trying to get me to sell it and buy another, i just cant quit it though... got some plans for a flat bed. i have a good front clip just have to repaint her
Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
It will quit raining in Oklahoma, and start blowing dirt.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM

this darn motor is a 84ish carb 22r, not real powerful but later on ill rebuild the fuel injection 22r. i got with the parts truck that came with it, what is a good exhaust system? like muffler, the glass pack IS NOT staying on this thing, i do not like driving a annoyed bee around, imma buy a header for it mostly cause its pretty cheap lol
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM

new pic of the yota, this is what im dealin with
Old 04-04-2012, 03:01 PM

From the outside, that definitely looks to be in better shape than my '90 4Runner. Don't lose hope. Once you get all the bugs worked out and give it some good TLC, I'm sure it'll be ready to give you several hundred thousand more miles of happy service. Best of luck to you and I hope to hear of the fun adventures you're sure to have once she's fully rehabbed.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
don't give up on it. I bought my 84 for 700 bucks and it didn't run and had a monsterous utility bed on it. The whole thing was tweeked on. I had crazy amounts of wiring( most of which went nowhere), broken spring mounts, springs bowing backwards, no brakes, none of my dash components worked, no heater, no wipers, broken everything, and it was worth fixing all of it. It's the truck I always wanted and NO matter how frustrated I get, I know it's going to be worth it to me. If you want it, do it. Hell, you even have a parts truck. All I have is a 22r with 336,000 miles, a ghetto header, and a trashed weber 32/36. You got this dude.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 PM

the interior pic a bolt snapped off of the seat lol.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
screw your friends, drivers seat is the only one that matters! nice bumper too.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 PM

I have a weber 32/36 and a RV 261 "C" in my .020 22r and man...that thing has crazy tq. 35mph in 5th @ 1k rpm and will put it right out and lay you back in your seat. I'm still doin break in so I havnt taken it over 2500rpm yet but i normaly shift at 2k...had it sideways in 2nd @ ~1200rpm turnin a corner the other day...not tryin.. then sliped a tire shiftin in to 3rd..(very bald tires) but none the less..

Hope it helps

GJ
Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 PM

wow dont give up on it
my t100 gots 404 000 kms and wants to go another 404000km still
Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 PM

i spent the better part of today fiddling with the yota, connecting vacuum lines checking everything, beating the starter. and went to auto zone and bought the steering damper, found a hose i needed in the ford section.... weird and got a battery holder so next time i decide to try it out the battery wont fly in to the fan...

Quick Reply: getting annoyed with the yota, encouragment?