Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fullsize spare on my 4runner - need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fullsize spare on my 4runner - need advice!

I have a 94 4runner 4door SR5, and I was wondering what the maximum size tire I could fit on my under-truck spare. I have a 31" tire on it now, and I was planning on getting 33x12.5r15s all around, but if thats too fat for underneath, I would have no problems getting a 33x10.5r15 for a spare. It looks like there is enough space, although the exhaust stuck on the butt end of my magnaflow muffler looks like its already awful close to the tire. The plan B is to get the reinforcement piece from toyota and a swing-away tire carrier from a 90-91ish 4runner to bolt on. The other concern is that I plan on putting on a marlin crawler rear bumper on my runner, so I'm not sure whether it would be possible to keep the 33" tire (or any tire at all) with that bumper. It appears as if the support for the bumper mounts to the outside of the framerails, and I believe that the tire fits between the framerails as it is now... but I may be mistaken. If anyone has a 33" tire under their 2nd gen 4runner, please let me know - or even better: post pics! Anyone have a marlin crawler rear bumper? anyone running the marlin bumper with a spare underneath? pics! pics! pics! thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 01:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Won't fit. Its tight with a 31x10.5. The tire will contact your panhard rod, you exhaust and possibly the bumper as well if you go any larger.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roof rack, or strapped to the floor of the cargo area with a custom shelf on top.

I had mine on the roof for ages.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:50 PM

I'm having the same dilema. Running 285's and I don't wanna put it on the roof cuz the damn thing weighs close to 60lbs....
Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM

Haha I don't have a panhard bar, and my tires weigh easily 110. But seriously just throw it up on the roof, or if you don't want the extra weight that high put it in the rear somewhere, or on the cargo door with a mount.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Noltz

x2
Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM

Roof rack, or strapped to the floor of the cargo area with a custom shelf on top.

The 4Runner is already top-heavy, personally wouldn't do this.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Try a CBI Off Road Tire carrier

Here is what I did with my 33" spare on my Trekker. and I am using it with a Marlin Rear Bumper.
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I recently picked up a used CBI tire carrier from MillerPKA, a fellow yotatech member and a great guy to work with. He had it mounted on his 4Runner.
Cleaned it up and gave it a fresh coat of paint:

It is nice to have the rear cargo area back...
It flips up and down very easily and with the intergrated high lift jack mount it will make access very easy.
It does stick out a little more than I thought that it might:

But does leave enough room that I could get a Nato style gas can between the carrier and the back of the truck. Maybe down the road I will have a friend modify the carrier to get it closer to the back of the truck, but it will serve it's intended purpose well in the current form.
new I think they are about $275 new from Steve at CBI Off road.
quality of it is pretty awesome...
http://cbioffroadfab.com/v-web/gallery/TIRE-CARRIERS

Last edited by dropzone; 10-06-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:24 PM

Looks like I'm going to be doing that nice lookin 90-91 swing out tire carrier retrofit then. I'll try to get some decent pictures out of it when I do. No roof rack for a tire for me, I agree. My truck has a 2" lift on it already and on stock 31s that gets a little squirly at times. That leaves me with the question, what do I do with that space under the rear of the truck? Has anyone relocated a gas tank to there? There couldnt be a stupider place in the world than the absolute bottom of the truck where its guaranteed to get hi-sided somewhere and spring a leak. Any opinions?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm at the same point. Been riding with it in cargo area, trails here make me cringe at the tought of putting it up top. One off the trekker guys did a slick set up with a MC bumper but it won't work for us. Have thought of airing it down to fit between frame rails, I always have the handy little compresser with me, but I don't have the peices to crank the spare up and down.

Do a right up if you do the factory swing out, I'm interested.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM

I was going to do the swing out carrier even if I could fit the tire under the truck (which would still be my first choice, so I think I'm just going to get one and try it out - maybe use a spacer or something - we'll see) because I was going to modify the swing out tire carrier to hold a pair of jerry cans and a hi-lift if it wasnt going to be holding a tire. I'm looking into whether I have to get the tailgate to match the tire carrier or not. I still don't know where the factory one latches.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:09 PM

Factory swingout trucks have a different tail gate than normal. The receiver is built into the gate, licence bracket is mounted on the swing... it's completely different.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:25 PM

Factory swingout trucks have a different tail gate than normal. The receiver is built into the gate, licence bracket is mounted on the swing... it's completely different.
It isn't much different actually. The receiver parts bolt on. The body requires reinforcement
Old 10-15-2008, 03:32 PM

An issue I found is with the marlin crawler rear bumper I was eyeballing. With that bumper in place, there is nowhere to mount the lower arm of the swing out carrier. Since the marlins are supplied raw steal, does anyone think that welding a swing away carrier onto the bumper would be possible?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...arrier-156470/
Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM

You can run a 33x10.5x15 under the 4runner you just need to hack off 1 or 2 of the brackets that guide the normal size spare. The stock tail pipe was close but never caused a problem. I ran this setup for about 2 years before up sizing to the point where there is no way to fit the spare underneath. I now have a rear swing out and it definitely makes accessing the tail gate much harder.

I'd very much recommend keeping the spare underneath, especially if it's your DD. I don't like heavy things on top of the truck for wheeling or freeway driving. I'd even have some exhaust work done if that's what it took to keep it underneath. IMO

If you are interested I might have some pictures of my spare underneath. Still have the spare too.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 PM

you made my day, RobG. looks like I'll just me modding the marlin to carry a pair of jerry cans. I'm shopping locally for the 1st gen roll bar, so I assume I can get my hi-lift onto that thing somewhere when the time comes. If I were me, I would be checking out muddpigg's link for that other yotatech thread. Its a great mod for anyone with a marlin bumper and no intention of ever opening their tailgate again, but I aint that guy. Fits perfectly tho. I would have to figure out some way to mount the carrier to another part of the bumper or scratch the project all together.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can fit a 33X12.5 under the rear floor in the stock location with no issues. I have mine there right now.

Frank
Old 10-16-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by elripster
You can fit a 33X12.5 under the rear floor in the stock location with no issues. I have mine there right now.

Frank
Does this apply for 2nd gen pickups eg.(1985)?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by RobG
You can run a 33x10.5x15 under the 4runner you just need to hack off 1 or 2 of the brackets that guide the normal size spare. The stock tail pipe was close but never caused a problem. I ran this setup for about 2 years before up sizing to the point where there is no way to fit the spare underneath. I now have a rear swing out and it definitely makes accessing the tail gate much harder.

I'd very much recommend keeping the spare underneath, especially if it's your DD. I don't like heavy things on top of the truck for wheeling or freeway driving. I'd even have some exhaust work done if that's what it took to keep it underneath. IMO

If you are interested I might have some pictures of my spare underneath. Still have the spare too.
Didn't the tire rub on the panhard rod? It nearly does with 31s I think. It looked to me like you would have to reposition the tire winch further back to hold anything larger. Problem are that the winch is mounted to a xmember and mounting the spare farther back means a lower departure angle.

Quick Reply: fullsize spare on my 4runner - need advice!