Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel pump sucking air?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump sucking air?

I've got an '86 22r, rebuilt the engine this spring, swapped the transmission a few weeks ago, now onto every other problem under the sun.
The fuel pump died on me, unbelievably right off one of the three freeway exits that is Evanston, Wyoming last week. Luckily because there ain't a damn thing 100 miles either way out of Evanston, and it happened to be 100 feet from an AutoZone. So I replace the fuel pump in a fast food parking lot, hit the road again--everything is good. A few days later I swap out the fuel filter (finally found the damn thing thanks to these forums). The truck hesitates a bit the day afterward, I figure that I got some air in the fuel line or something during the swap. Meanwhile I drive back from Wyoming to Southern Utah with no problems at all.
Yesterday I start up the truck (engine already warm), take off, and it hestitates and then dies. I pull off the fuel output line from the pump and no fuel comes out while the engine is turning over. I turn it over quite a bit. Out of desperation I throw some starter fluid in the intake and the second time I do this it fires up and I drive away just fine. Today it did something similar although it didn't die, just hesitated a bit a few seconds after startup (<30 seconds) and recovered, then ran without issue.

So I've got a new pump and a new filter. The FSM troubleshooting guide leaves me with a clogged or kinked fuel line. How likely is a fuel line clog and how would I even test for this? Seems like it would surface on a more regular basis. Is it possible I'm sucking air through a bad hose clamp or something? Is there some weird sensor or feedback mechanism that I'm not aware of going afoul?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

forward of the pump any breached line would spray fuel out, not let air in. between the pump and the tank you have the possibility of air getting in. yeah a clog would be more frequent, there could be some kind of fitting that comes loose now and then between the pump and tank. it could be something electrical, but i assume you already jumped B+ and FP to check the pump.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There are two things you should check, 1st, check the gas cap, it should be a vented gas cap and make sure the vent isn`t plugged, 2nd, check the charcole canister, the carb vents into the charcole canister and if its plugged it can cause the carb to not get any fuel.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by myyota
There are two things you should check, 1st, check the gas cap, it should be a vented gas cap and make sure the vent isn`t plugged, 2nd, check the charcole canister, the carb vents into the charcole canister and if its plugged it can cause the carb to not get any fuel.
the 86's are carb? well then... i'll refer to my own rule #1 and say see u guys later.

Last edited by Tracey98277; 11-21-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 AM

The carb isn't getting fuel because the pump isn't putting any out, so I don't think it's the charcol canister...although there is another one that vents the fuel tank, right?

Forward of the pump is about 6" of hose to the carb, that's it. I take this line off the fuel pump and no fuel was pulsing out as it should (as it did when I replaced the pump last week). FYI, the fuel pump on a carbed '86 is fully mechanical with no electrical connections; it runs off the cam shaft.

I unscrewed the gas cap when it wasn't pumping thinking that some weird vacuum developed but that didn't solve the problem (nor did it sound like there was much vapor movement when I unscrewed it). The gas cap was replaced about a year ago, but I will check it anyway.

I guess at this point I need a good source for replacement rubber fuel hose. Any suggestions? Could I fix a clog in the metal portion of the line by putting in a ton of injector cleaner on an empty tank?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you think one of the fuel lines is plugged you might try blowing it out with compressed air.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:21 AM

I'm going through this same problem right now with mine too. I have a 4 foot piece of clear tubing that I use to check different sections of the fuel line. With the clear tube, you can watch and monitor your fuel flow. I started at the pump and ran it from pump to a gas can to check if my pump was good. Works fine. Then working back towards the tank, I would find sections of the fuel line that were joined with rubber hoses, swap black hose for clear hose (clear hose still in gas can) and turn over motor and watch. I've now determined that I have an issue with the pickup tube inside the tank. Now I have to drop the tank and take a peek inside. Using the gas can and clear hose helped out great. You can single out what area of the lines your having problems with and either replace old hoses or blow out those sections.