Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fuel in the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If those readings are correct, I'd say you have some exhaust valves set too tight on those cylinders with high readings. Adjust your valves and see where that gets you. It's possible all of you injectors are working and all cylinders are firing, but the motor is so choked it can't breath.....which is part of the combustion process.

And likely, from the high compression....the two 180's particularly, gasoline and/or exhaust gases are being pressed passed the oil rings and valve seals contaminating the oil.

Last edited by thook; 01-26-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
If those readings are correct, I'd say you have some exhaust valves set too tight on those cylinders with high readings. Adjust your valves and see where that gets you. It's possible all of you injectors are working and all cylinders are firing, but the motor is so choked it can't breath.....which is part of the combustion process.

And likely, from the high compression....the two 180's particularly, gasoline and/or exhaust gases are being pressed passed the oil rings and valve seals contaminating the oil.
yeha i dont know why those are that high. when i put the head on idjusted them cold. Since its been runing like this i tried adjusting them again but they checked out within specs .008&.012. i was kinda wondering if there was any possibillity that the fuel wasnt be sent into the cylinders at the right time therefore not being detonated by the spark. dont know if thats possible though.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the wires on the rotor cap. Make sure the timing is set right AND the wires are put on the cap in the direction the rotor turns. Its possible you put the wires on the cap in the opposite direction which will account for only two firing. Go double check that the wires are installed from #1 in the correct rotation of the rotor. Bet this is your problem. There is no sequential firing of the injectors. They all fire all the time. You got compression so it should run after you get your wires on the cap correctly.

Last edited by SEAIRESCUE; 01-26-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by SEAIRESCUE
Check the wires on the rotor cap. Make sure the timing is set right AND the wires are put on the cap in the direction the rotor turns. Its possible you put the wires on the cap in the opposite direction which will account for only two firing. Go double check that the wires are installed from #1 in the correct rotation of the rotor. Bet this is your problem. There is no sequential firing of the injectors. They all fire all the time. You got compression so it should run after you get your wires on the cap correctly.
can you please explain what you mean by the injectors are all firing all the time? not sure that i am following you there. I was under the impression that the injectors fire when the computer talls them to?????
maybe i am just misunderstanding what you are saying here!
Old 01-27-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by weakyota91
yeha i dont know why those are that high. when i put the head on idjusted them cold. Since its been runing like this i tried adjusting them again but they checked out within specs .008&.012. i was kinda wondering if there was any possibillity that the fuel wasnt be sent into the cylinders at the right time therefore not being detonated by the spark. dont know if thats possible though.
The only way they could be high like that is lack of air/exhaust escaping. Air can get in, but air/exhaust can't get out freely enough. If all cylinders were high like that, I'd say maybe the cat was clogged, but not all are. Maybe some lifter or valves are sticking closed even though you've adjusted them correctly.

I've a question for you. Are you sure that was carbon on the fouled plugs and not oil?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 PM

The only way they could be high like that is lack of air/exhaust escaping. Air can get in, but air/exhaust can't get out freely enough. If all cylinders were high like that, I'd say maybe the cat was clogged, but not all are. Maybe some lifter or valves are sticking closed even though you've adjusted them correctly.

I've a question for you. Are you sure that was carbon on the fouled plugs and not oil?
yeah i just dont see how i could have any issuses with the valves. I just had the head off and took down had it surfaced, cleaned pressure checked and what not. the guy is a respectable mechanic too.

The reason i thinnk they're carbon fouled is because they look dried and black and when i match it up with the picture in the manual it says its carbon fouled
Old 01-28-2008, 06:00 PM

Fair enough.

All I can think of then is maybe clogged exhaust ports in the manifold...or....there's a mistake in the compression testing. Possible?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:13 PM

Okay....since I've exhausted the limits of my knowledge, I ran a search.

A short excerpt...

Factors including late intake valve closure (relatively speaking for camshaft profiles outside of typical production car range, but not necessarily into the realm of competition engines) can produce a misleadingly low figure from this test. Excessive connecting rod clearance, combined with extreme oil pump out (rare but not impossible) can sling enough oil to coat the cylinder walls with enough oil to facilitate reasonable ring seal artificially give a misleadingly high figure, on engines with compromised ring seal.

I found this on google:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio
Read it carefully....particularly under "fault finding and diagnosis". A ring issue would explain what's happening....which is what I've suspected all along. Still...it may not be the problem...lol. Aren't vehicles so much fun?

To add....
Run the compression test a couple more times and see what readings you get everytime.

Last edited by thook; 01-28-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Well this is just a stupid thought, since your getting fuel, timing is right, tps seems correct, cant you take the suspected spark plugs out and see if the actual plug is getting juice? Pull the plug out with the wire still on it and crank a bit and see if there is arch? If your getting arch on the electrode, but no cumbustion, then it is a fuel delivery problem, if your getting fuel just no kick then its an ignition deal. If your getting both and still nothing, get a used ECU off ebay for 20 bucks and see if you computer isnt just messin up on ya.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 PM

Okay....since I've exhausted the limits of my knowledge, I ran a search.

A short excerpt...

Factors including late intake valve closure (relatively speaking for camshaft profiles outside of typical production car range, but not necessarily into the realm of competition engines) can produce a misleadingly low figure from this test. Excessive connecting rod clearance, combined with extreme oil pump out (rare but not impossible) can sling enough oil to coat the cylinder walls with enough oil to facilitate reasonable ring seal artificially give a misleadingly high figure, on engines with compromised ring seal.

I found this on google:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio
Read it carefully....particularly under "fault finding and diagnosis". A ring issue would explain what's happening....which is what I've suspected all along. Still...it may not be the problem...lol. Aren't vehicles so much fun?

To add....
Run the compression test a couple more times and see what readings you get everytime.
thanks i'll try that. you know what though i have done a few different compression test on this thing they do seem to be different sometimes. I guess i'll read that and go tinker with it some more. thanks