86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fuel in the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel in the oil?

i got this little 92 pickup with a 22re and its got a new head gasket and i had a engine builder guy check out the head he cleaned it up surfaced and pressure tested it. any ways i also had to change the air flow meter it was no good. I also had my injectors checked out one was bad so i replaced it along with my fuel filter. Any ways its all together now but it only runs on 2 cyliders #2 and 3. i pulled the spark plugs and those ones look good but 1 and 4 look carbon fouled they are gettin spark but i t seems like they're not firing. i dont think its the fuel pump, when i jump with a paper clip i hear it kick on i also disconnected the fuel return line and it pumps fuel it doesnt seem like its 40 psi though but i dont know if its supposed to be since its just the return. also when i check the oil it seems really thin and it almost seems like it mixed with gas dont really know if thats even possible. if you guys could help me out id appreciate it ive done a few other posts but no one ever seems to reply. Also i was wondering if it could possibly be the computer thats messin up ? thanks
Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
gotta figure out why 1 and 4 aren't firing first. If they're carbon fouled i'd try replacing em, and see what happens. Should also test the plug wires (FSM)

you need spark, compression, and fuel for each cylinder to work. troubleshoot whichever you're missing to start, and work from there.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
gotta figure out why 1 and 4 aren't firing first. If they're carbon fouled i'd try replacing em, and see what happens. Should also test the plug wires (FSM)

you need spark, compression, and fuel for each cylinder to work. troubleshoot whichever you're missing to start, and work from there.
the thing is i took the cap, rotor, sparkplugs, an wires off my other truck that is a 91 22re and it runs good. so i've checked spark and it seems fine. it seems like a could be fuel but i dont understand why 2 and 3 fire and 1 and 4 dont like i said the injectors were al l cleaned and worke d fine yesterday. so im wondering if there is any sensor or the computer itself that could be the problem
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM

so you're saying spark is good across all 4? Unhook the coil, crank the engine, and then pull the spark plugs and see which ones are wet with fuel.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:57 PM

so you're saying spark is good across all 4? Unhook the coil, crank the engine, and then pull the spark plugs and see which ones are wet with fuel.
alright i'll give that a try and let you know what happens
Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM

alright well that didnt work to well i cranked itover for a while and it looked like cylinder 1 got wet and the other three stayed dry which makes no sense cause cylinde 2 and 3 are the ones that look like they work properly. another thing that happens when its running a i can take plug wire 4 and put it on clinder 1 and it doesnt back fire or anything
Old 01-24-2008, 02:36 PM

ok well then you need to figure out why there isnt fuel in the other 3 cyls... check fuel pressure, check that the injectors are plugged in and working, etc
Old 01-24-2008, 02:40 PM

ok well then you need to figure out why there isnt fuel in the other 3 cyls... check fuel pressure, check that the injectors are plugged in and working, etc
how do you think i should go about checking the fuel pressure i dont think my manual says nyhing about that
Old 01-24-2008, 03:07 PM

fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail...
Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM

fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail...
sorry, do you think you could explain it a little better. Am i goin to have to take off the upper air chamber. and where do i put the guage? at the end where the fuel return is? thanks
Old 01-24-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Run a compression test. I have an idea, but I want to know what you're results are first.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought this sounded familiar....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...oblems-135515/

Why are you starting a new thread about it? Doesn't matter......just curious.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weakyota91
sorry, do you think you could explain it a little better. Am i goin to have to take off the upper air chamber. and where do i put the guage? at the end where the fuel return is? thanks
Yes, you have to take off the upper plenum.
Drill the end of the fuel rail, towards the front of the truck.
Tap 1/8 NPT.
Insert fuel pressure gauge (small one).

I seriously doubt if this is your issue... Either all the injectors have pressure or none of them do.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Run a compression test. I have an idea, but I want to know what you're results are first.
exactly. if there is fuel in oil, and the plugs are not cleaning, there is a ring problem. do compression test before anything else.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:03 AM

alright ill run a compression test today and let you know what it turns out to be.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 AM

I thought this sounded familiar....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...oblems-135515/

Why are you starting a new thread about it? Doesn't matter......just curious.
well idk, the last thread was before i had my injectors cleaned and checked out proffesionally, and now for some reason it also seems like there is fuel in the oil
Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
Yes, you have to take off the upper plenum.
Drill the end of the fuel rail, towards the front of the truck.
Tap 1/8 NPT.
Insert fuel pressure gauge (small one).

I seriously doubt if this is your issue... Either all the injectors have pressure or none of them do.
thanks i dont think its the problemm either because when it runs i can rev it high but only two cylinders fire
Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weakyota91
thanks i dont think its the problemm either because when it runs i can rev it high but only two cylinders fire

If you've done the TPS adjustment, set timing, checked the plugs - do you know which 2 are not firing? The injectors are setup with two banks. They're tied together in the harness, but I've heard that this connection can get crappy and break.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:11 PM

alright i got some compression #'s for ya #1 180
#2 165
#3 180
#4 175
thanks for your help
Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
If you've done the TPS adjustment, set timing, checked the plugs - do you know which 2 are not firing? The injectors are setup with two banks. They're tied together in the harness, but I've heard that this connection can get crappy and break.
im not sure i know what tps adjustment is. thats throttle position sensor right?

cylinder 2 and 3 were firing

1 and 4 dont seem to be any more info would help a lot thanks.

Quick Reply: fuel in the oil?