Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel Issues Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Issues Please Help!!!

ok here is the deal i have a 1992 toyota 4runner 3.0l v6 with a 5spd. this last winter when it was really cold the truck would not start would turn over but not fire first thought was water in the tank or moister in the lines frozen once it warmed up the truck started right up with no problems so we had another cold front coming in and so i filled the tank and added fuel line antifreeze and once again once it hit and was below freezing it would not fire again and as soon as it warmed up started right up and worked great. i have not had any problems until today my wife was driving it and it was between 85 and 90 degrees out today here in portland and she was driving it just died so she started it back up it idled for a second and died i got there started it up and reved it and the second i hit the gas it choked and died started it and died then it wouldnt start any more so i towed it with my f250 and while i was being towed kept poping it into gear trying to start it and nothing so about 7pm once it cooled down outside a bit i went out and it fired right up it is like when ever it is really cold or really hot it is not getting fuel the truck has a newish fuel filter just did a tune up in november any advise would be amazing thanks a bunch
Old 05-29-2007, 07:49 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Bad gas
2. Fouled fuel filter
3. Cold start injector
Old 05-29-2007, 07:53 PM

just got gas this morning before she left and i know it was good gas fuel filter as i said is good and the cold start if bad would just crank over but it will start and nothing changed other than the temp outside and it fired right up and ran fine
Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Perhaps your yota is just very picky
Old 05-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had problem very similer and replaced the 02 sensor , plug wires and fuel filter and it has my 90 3.0 running like a champ again. I also found after removing the plug wires that I had a small hole in the plug boot to the dist. and it was arcking off the mas housing cause a rought idle and hard starts in the mornings and late nights after sitting for a few hours. Hope that helps you not sure there the same issues but yours sounds similar to mine.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:06 PM

ok so i just got around to checking in to the truck and seeing if i could figure it out i removed the cover over the fuel pump so i could hear it runing from in the truck and i started the truck and let it warm up and once warmed up i herd the fuel pump just stop and the engine died so i turned the key off and started it again the fuel pump ran for about 5-10 secs and turned off again... what could be causing the fuel pump to cut out?
Old 06-03-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I had problem very similer and replaced the 02 sensor , plug wires and fuel filter and it has my 90 3.0 running like a champ again. I also found after removing the plug wires that I had a small hole in the plug boot to the dist. and it was arcking off the mas housing cause a rought idle and hard starts in the mornings and late nights after sitting for a few hours. Hope that helps you not sure there the same issues but yours sounds similar to mine.

the plug wires are newish installed them in oct of 06 and i did a fuel filter as well at that time and plugs and an oil change pretty much a full tune up also a vehicle will run with out an O2 sensor just not very well it would not cause the fuel pump to just shut off any ideas anyone please help
Old 06-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ArticulatedYota
ok here is the deal i have a 1992 toyota 4runner 3.0l v6 with a 5spd. this last winter when it was really cold the truck would not start would turn over but not fire first thought was water in the tank or moister in the lines frozen once it warmed up the truck started right up with no problems so we had another cold front coming in and so i filled the tank and added fuel line antifreeze and once again once it hit and was below freezing it would not fire again and as soon as it warmed up started right up and worked great. i have not had any problems until today my wife was driving it and it was between 85 and 90 degrees out today here in portland and she was driving it just died so she started it back up it idled for a second and died i got there started it up and reved it and the second i hit the gas it choked and died started it and died then it wouldnt start any more so i towed it with my f250 and while i was being towed kept poping it into gear trying to start it and nothing so about 7pm once it cooled down outside a bit i went out and it fired right up it is like when ever it is really cold or really hot it is not getting fuel the truck has a newish fuel filter just did a tune up in november any advise would be amazing thanks a bunch
Damn... using the "W" word already....
Old 06-03-2007, 08:59 PM

Well if the motor dies doesn't the fuel pump shut off?