Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel issues

Morning gents, I'm hoping someone can help me out or guide in the right direction on this fuel issue I'm having. I recently rebuilt the top end on my 93 runner 3.0 V6 3VZE. I fired the motor up and she sounds great and after timing it, even better. After about a few days, I fired it up again and fuel was leaking from under the runner? There were no issues when completed the rebuild, but after a couple days this began to happen? I've tried looking around to find the leak, which I couldn't. 3VZE engines aren't the easiest to work on. Do I need to change out the fuel lines? I replaced all the gaskets on the fuel rails when I disassembled them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading this post guys and girls...

Best
Old 06-27-2017, 06:37 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Do yourself a favor: remove the plenum, then fire up the fuel pump using the jumper in the diag connector. With the plenum off the leak should be easy to find. Using brown paper towels will make it a little easier (gasoline is so clear it is hard to see on a white paper towel). (You will need a piece of 6mm (1/4") tubing to connect the fuel return line -- I use clear vinyl, so I can see what's going on.)

You replaced all the crush-washers -- good! Each of those fittings has a torque spec (11 ft-lbs on the CSI, 25 on the rest), so you might want to check that. Of course, you can't "re"torque them; that's the whole point of the "crush" feature.

Another source of leaking is the connection between the injectors and the rail. If the o-ring got pinched, it will leak. If that's your case, you're going to have to remove the rail to get to the injector, so just replace all the seals on all 6. Now is the time to do that.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 AM

Thank you again for the guidance scope103. Much appreciated. I will try those methods and hopefully they work. I did replace all the o-rings on the fuel injectors as well when I rebuilt the top end.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Another possibility, one you can check with the plenum on, is a leak in the fuel pressure damper (aft end of the right-side fuel rail). There's a rubber diaphragm inside, which will easily last 20 years. Which means all of us are at risk. It's difficult to see, but you can get your paper towel in there to "look" for drips.

This is obvious, but let me say it. DON'T run the truck until you repair this leak. Not even to look for the leak (you don't need to; run the pump from the diagnostic connector.)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:16 AM

Thanks scope103 for all the help. I finally got back to working on my runner. There was a small crack on the side of one fuel injector that you can't see until pressured up. Replaced and no fuel issue.