Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fuel issue on 86 toyota pickup help plzz????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel issue on 86 toyota pickup help plzz????

well this is what i did so far, i replaced the fuel pump and the inline fuel filter, also the fuel filter on the side of block before fuel rail. what it was doing before hand was that it would hesitate when pressing the accelorator to hard starts to just making it back home when i had to pump gas peddle just to make it home and at half block from home dead wouldn't start at all it turns over but nothing checked for spark from plugs have spark on all cylinders, pulled spark plugs and it showed good except very light oil on 3rd plug cylinder but not enough to where the engine would not turn over. recently i attempted to start after putting in new pump and the fuel line hose right before the inline filter bursted and leaked gas everywhere, so gonne replace the line now, also tore apart the upper intake for access to fuel injectors, thinking about getting them cleaned or replaced, cause i'm running outta options on what the source of problem would be. already replaced the coil also. not sure how to test the igniter but i think" it works. looking at replacing the fuel line all the way back aswell. what do you think i should do?

this motor is rebuilt dropped in back in febuary and already put 7k on it and was running nfine till this happened.

is a 1986 toyota pickup with lift and replaced the 22r with a 22rec into it.

any help appreciated????!!!!!????

thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 12:48 AM

Do you have any codes? I would start by checking your Circuit opening relay. A malfunctioning VAFM or dodgy relay would cause the fuel pump to work intermittently and could be your issue?

Injector pulse would be the next thing, although you should have a code if it is an ECM issue.

Was any recent work done, or was this out of the blue?
Old 12-24-2009, 04:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the fuel pressure. Are u getting too much or not enough. Sometimes just cracking a line will give you an indication of what's happening. maybe ur fuel pressure regulator's going out. Also I've had a truck do some wierd things when the fuel return and the vent lines accidently got switched make sure thats right.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:39 PM

the circuit is fine it open's and closes according to my dad he's a master electrician tech but won't help me much --wants me to learn 4 myself,...enough said....
and "jimep", i have a feeling u might be right but this happened outta the blue to answer both. isthat the lines on the top of the tank one on top right of tank and other similiar? that ur talking about having to be switched?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:45 PM

but still having the feeling that 3 of the injectors blocked...anyway of really telling? all i know is before i pulled them and that happened to the fuel line it sounded like only one cylinder (4) would fire the rest nothing and after that only cylinder fired i would hear a winding sound i'm guessing the umf from the compression firing to turn the motor. tried renting a cylinder compression tester from autozone but it would not fit the head so was struck with that attemption...
Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 PM

and the fuel pressure regulator is that the sensor thats on the side of the intake that hooks to a banjo bolt that leads down to the fuel rail?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you EFI'd a carb'd truck? You replaced the fuel tank, fuel pump, etc with the EFI stuff, no? You also got rid of the inline fuel filter since it can't handle the fuel pressure from the in-tank pump, right?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:09 PM

wait no it is efi from the get go...didn't replace the fuel tank replaced the pump and put new inline filter after gas tank and the filter thats before fuel rail is now new...are you saying the inline filter can't handle the pressure of the pump, then does that mean the filter before fuel rail that connects to side of block can?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:13 PM

You said you replaced a 22r with a 22rec. The 22r is carb'd and the rec is injected. There should not be an inline filter anywhere other than the filter on the engine block, which is the only filter the EFI trucks came with.

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-24-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:15 PM

confused i got this truck with a 22r with 3 rod bearing out and replaced it with a newer rebuild 22rec, but the 22r i assumed it was had a efi in it it was never carbed...so lost!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:21 PM

maybe a previous owner changed out the carb system to EFI?
doesn't make sense to me since the EFI's have the fuel pump in the tank and an inline filter on the frame would likely not handle 35+ PSI pressure very well.

I'm not tryin to slag you or anything, just figure things out, k?
And for the record, the 22r and 22re/rec engines are mostly identical so they are interchangeable with little-to-no changes.

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-24-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:23 PM

I'm just not getting the 'inline' filter thing, and you having one on the engine too.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:35 PM

ill try removing it it came with one so i replaced it thinking it needed it...i'll remove it tho. anyhow u know about the fuel pressure regulator how it works? and which line is pressure and which is return on the lines going back to the tank?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:39 PM

replaced it cause it was completely blocked with rust...anyhow thats where i started to show with problems before no start at all....
Old 12-24-2009, 02:47 PM

could that be y the engine would bog out while i had it going --due to the inline filter...?
Old 12-24-2009, 04:03 PM

hey, bud this is what you need to do first..

make sure you got a constant flow of fuel to into you fuel filter that is mount on the right rear side lower on the block under the intake manifold..

make sure you get a steady stream of fuel out of the filter..

and then make sure you are getting excess fuel flowing to the return line..

well if you wanna put in new injectors.. they are about 68 bucks a piece from any typical parts store.

when u changed out the fuel pump.. did you clean all the crud out of the fuel tank..
Old 12-24-2009, 05:42 PM

yea all cleaned out...and the injectors found them rebuilt to new specs for only $25 each... question is there 2 return lines to the fuel tank? or is one something else? cause there is two lines that come from the front they are both really small hoses and connect to the gas tank with a simple clamp.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:44 PM

should be 3 lines to/from the tank-
fuel supply
fuel return
vapor
Old 12-24-2009, 05:59 PM

Little tip:
If up open the door on the AFM (provided it's still plugged in) with the key in the on position your fuel pump will turn on. This will help you check for fuel pressure where ever you need to check.
And just to clarify: There should be ONE fuel filter, located on the passenger side of the block.
God Luck!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:08 PM

heres curiosity question if there is excess fuel in the bottom intake is that a good sign that i reversed the lines for return and vapor?

Quick Reply: fuel issue on 86 toyota pickup help plzz????