Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel Injector q's!!

Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injector q's!!

Okay, I finally figured out how my misfire problem, after taking it back to the guy that did the engine and $70 later! #1 injector is sticking!! Now he put some fuel injector cleaner in it and it ran fine! But now that the tank ran out and I filled it back up its doing it again!

I dont really understand the concept of a sticking injector...cause it does it intermittently, and when the engine is misfiring I can still hear the injector clicking!!

Would changing the injectors fix my problem?? I mean if I have to take the plenum and everything off I am not just going to replace 1 of the 20 year old injectors!!

And If so, how hard is it to do? I mean It looks a little cramped, and there is a lot of vacuum lines!!

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
if I'm not mistaken, you could do the job just by removing the upper plentum, so at least there wont be any coolant loss (well, minus whatever little trickle comes out of the hoses for the TB when you remove them )

but all of the vaccum lines will have to be pulled, but if you take some good pictures before hand, it's not that difficult to get things back together

and I agree; if you're digging in there to replace one, a full set isn't a bad idea. you can get a set of all 4 fuel injectors, equalized for smoother running and a little more power, from LCE for $200; not too bad I think

what happens if you upplug that unjector completely while the motor's running and missing? any significant change?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Take out your injectors and send them in to have them cleaned. After a lot of recommendation from people here on yotatech I took mine out and sent them in to witchhunter performance. Google search to find them. But it only costs $18 per injector and will be back at your door in like 2 days. They clean them ultra sonically and replace screens etc. They flow and spray test them before and after and you get back graphs and stuff when they return them so you know they did the work. Mine had 35% difference and one was stuck open when I sent them. They came back looking brand new and within 2%. In reality a rebuilt injector like lc sells is just a used injector that has already gone through this process.

I would highly recomend looking witchhunter up and tryign them i have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neilan
Take out your injectors and send them in to have them cleaned. After a lot of recommendation from people here on yotatech I took mine out and sent them in to witchhunter performance. Google search to find them. But it only costs $18 per injector and will be back at your door in like 2 days. They clean them ultra sonically and replace screens etc. They flow and spray test them before and after and you get back graphs and stuff when they return them so you know they did the work. Mine had 35% difference and one was stuck open when I sent them. They came back looking brand new and within 2%. In reality a rebuilt injector like lc sells is just a used injector that has already gone through this process.

I would highly recomend looking witchhunter up and tryign them i have heard nothing but good things about them.
also a VERY good idea!

I'm keeping this in mind for my soon engine rebuild; bookmarked!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-13-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard many good things about witchhunter too.

I took mine over to Injector Pro in Phoenix and they were awesome. Got them back the same day I dropped them off. $20 each.

www.injectorpro.com
askinjectorpro@injectorpro.com
Old 04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

any of you guys have your cold-start injector cleaned as well from one of these places?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not exactly sure of the benefit of cleaning the CSI since it only runs when cranking and the ECU modifies the pulses to the other injectors to compensate for cold engine operation once the engine is running.... but I suppose if the CSI was dribbling all the time it might be a worth-while investment.

So to answer your question, I haven't done it.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

well it's just somthing I may consider, after seeing the inside my upper plentum about a year ago:

couldn't hurt

lol, I wander if they'd ultrasonically clean my entire intake and plentum if I sent it to them

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-13-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 PM

i had many injector problems when i first bought my runner. you say it started acting up again when you had to re-fuel, check your gas tank. could be rusty. its not hard at all to do the injectors. it looks scary but its really not. i didnt even neep pics to help. while your at it take some carb cleaner to your intake. it will be black and dirty.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Runner87
i had many injector problems when i first bought my runner. you say it started acting up again when you had to re-fuel, check your gas tank. could be rusty. its not hard at all to do the injectors. it looks scary but its really not. i didnt even neep pics to help. while your at it take some carb cleaner to your intake. it will be black and dirty.
any reason why to use carb cleaner instead of throttle body or MAF cleaner?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 PM

its cheap and all i found at napa. if throttle body or MAF cleaner is that much better then use it. but carb cleaner does the trick just fine.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 PM

the thing with the toyota efi... there's no fuel in the manifold. only EGR and PCV vapors. So how's a solvent designed for fuel going to affect carbon from the EGR and oil deposits from the PCV?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 PM

it just cleans it out. thats all. ever tore into the efi? its black. clean everything, even the fuel rail. or if your insistant on not useing carb cleaner, use engine degreaser on the manifold
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 PM

okay, I'll take that into consideration, along with the Seafoam that didn't help, and the MAF cleaner that didn't help, and the Berrymans B12 and B22 that didn't help.
hint: I'm not a newb that doesn't know- I've tried it already.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 PM

just saying, it worked for me. im not trying to say your a noob or anything. just stating what i know.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yea send the injectors in to get cleaned up , I also used carb cleaner and brake cleaner to clean my intake here is a couple of pictures of the lower.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:19 PM

yup shiny like new.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 PM

and if that helps unstick an injector, like the OP's problem is about, so be it.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Yeah I have unplugged the spark plug and nothing different happens, and I replaced it, cause its cheap...but not the injector, I may do that tomorrow if its nice out...I just had the motor rebuilt too, but I understand its not thier problem, I mean the dang things are 20 years old!

Is there a gasket I have to replace when I take the plenum apart? Cause I want to be sure and get that first!

I would probably just put new ones in instead of getting them cleaned, I was looking at the LCE ones...I mean I have already spent an ungodly amount of money on this truck so whats another $200?

I wish I could take all those vacuum lines off and just leave them off, but I know I need some of them...but as of now my ac idle up doesnt work, and its the switch I think cause I disconnected the vacuum lines and put it to straight vacuum and it still doesnt work!

Plus my EGR has been blocked off since I bought the truck...I saw it the other day...there is a screw in the vacuum line!!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:45 PM

Okay, just wanted to say this...you only have to remove the upper plenum, lc injectors are expensive but worth it, and the truck runs better than ever... wasnt that hard, about an hour or two!

The truck feels completely different, at idle you would feel a lot of vibrations, but now, its smooth as silk, actually a couple of times, I thought the truck died because the engine was so smooth and quiet!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Injector q's!!