Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel filter mod?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter mod?

I have searched. Not saying I searched properly but has anyone moved their fuel filter? I am sick and tired of changing the filter kicking my butt. It is going to the frame or fire wall. Soon as I figure out the fittings I need it is done. Has anyone else done this?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm curious as to why you are changing the filter often enough that you would consider moving it? Unless you have something else going on, like a rusted tank or an angry ex with a bag of sand, you really shouldn't have to change it more than once or twice during the life of the vehicle.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:32 PM

I have a 90 truck and I think the rubber portion of the lines are dissolving. My filter jammed up twice in the last year and both times a black substance came out the back end of the filter. Gas tank is spotless.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 PM

I see. Well in that case, I'd definitely recommend fixing your lines. Not just to prevent filter blocks, but also to prevent a possible rupture and spill. Be sure to check the rubber hose on top of the fuel pump in the tank. That is the only one I have personally seen deteriorate to the point that it causes issues.
As far as relocating the filter, never done it. Toyota specifically made them a PITA to discourage people from changing them. They're considered a non-maintenance item.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
EDIT: ^ he beat me too it..
Old 09-26-2013, 03:39 PM

Do some more searching. I seen a pic were someone moved there filter up to the passenger side inner fender. I do not recall who done it or what it took. But I know I seen it. The picture may be located in a thread that has pictures of how people painted there engines. I do not have a link nor do I have the exact name of the thread. But it's out there somewhere on this site.

I must agree, I'd love to move my filter someday to. I change mine out every 10,000 miles just to be safe. I have all new fuel lines along with a new tank. I just like to know its clean.

Upon changing mine the removal is easy as I use a long extension with a impact swivel. It's putting it back that's a pain in the ass. Those little bolts are hard to get started.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
I change mine out every 10,000 miles just to be safe.
Not to get off topic and it is your truck, but that really isn't necessary. These filters can typically outlast the engine they are installed on. At least the original denso filters can. I'm pretty sure my truck still has the original filter on it. Its an 89 with 225k miles. You're more likely to cause problems than prevent problems by changing the filter
Old 09-26-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by j2the-e
Not to get off topic and it is your truck, but that really isn't necessary. These filters can typically outlast the engine they are installed on. At least the original denso filters can. I'm pretty sure my truck still has the original filter on it. Its an 89 with 225k miles. You're more likely to cause problems than prevent problems by changing the filter
I agree. No need to change fuel filter that often if the tank and lines are good.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I did my engine swap, I relocated my filter to the fender well.
You can see in the video link in my sig..
Old 09-26-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by j2the-e
Yeah I understand you 100%. I've just always had Carbed trucks so you get into the habit lol. Ethanol fuel is hard on the filters too ya know.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
Yeah I understand you 100%. I've just always had Carbed trucks so you get into the habit lol. Ethanol fuel is hard on the filters too ya know.
I could see getting into the habit of changing filters on a carbed truck. But I can also see getting into the habit of replacing the spark plugs, points and condensor every 10k miles on Grandpa's 1952 Buick!

Like I said, its your truck and its a free country!

I am, however, wondering about your statement regarding the effect of ethanol fuel on the filter. No offense, It's a serious question. I've never heard of an issue. What seems to be going on with them?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:56 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Well I have to stand on the ethanol on fuel systems that stuff is down right nasty.

It effects the rubber in fuel lines any rust at all will be removed I think it even effects the metal itself after time.

I am having to change filters about once a year on both the 3.4 engines I drive now I know because the performance drops off quite a bit.

Not saying the quality of the gas these days is not part of the problem.

Atleast in the fuel now it is quite diluted .

At 100% it eats through the floors of the steel storage tanks I have customers that are putting new floors in tanks
Old 09-27-2013, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have had different year trucks and each one has certain way of swapping them out. You have to come up with a technique that works for you. I even have a certain 17mm wrench that I use. It is thin and flat and certain length. Which truck you have. Might have a tip for your model?

Like others have mentioned this ethanol is crap and seems like I have changed more filters in the past few years then I did on all of the multipe years combined and not just Toyotas. In my part of the country, with the humidity, we have a lot of rust in the tanks. I clean my tanks on each new project I start.

I was talking to a guy last nite and he brought up a good point. When storing equipment for the season like mowers for the winter, snow mobiles for the summer, to drain the tank and run some racing fuel thru the system, getting it into the bowls, floats, filters and such and then shutting them off. Race fuel wont have ethanlol in it and wont weaken as fast.

You can get Stabil but the gas is still ethanol and weakens and breaks down. I live close to Arkansas and Oklahoma and alot of their gas staions advertise Ethanol Free. I get my gas there when possible.

After cleaning my tanks, I use Red-Kote to seal my tanks of rust and leaks, but I really dont know how it stands up to the ethanol. Still learning that one.

The quality of fuel and ethanol is crap. Maybe the ethanol will help keep the moisture out of the tanks, I dont know. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-27-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:48 AM

I have friend who will only use non ethanol in his quad. It's carved and he says that it will foul up the jets or something. We talked about a lot and we also notice that it seems to be only with people that don't run the motor for a few months or longer like during the winter that this happens. Ive never had a problem using premium gas in my carb'd quads or trucks. I'm not sure if it's something that use to be a problem and the idea still lingers. The seals and lines and filters on most modem engines are designed to handle the ethanol. It's the same in Diesel engines the low sulfur can wreck havoc on older diesel lines and seals but if you replace them with quality newer parts they are designed to work with the low sulfur now. My 96 powerstroke had the low sulfur way away the seals in my fuel bowl. The new seals I replaced them with tolerate the low sulfur.

Also my toyota sat here in wet cold Oregon for 12 years before I bought it 3 months ago. I changed the filter out of precaution as I do on all my new cars I buy and it was very dark color inside. I dropped the tank a couple weeks later and it was clean as could be and looked brand new in it. Now I have the OEM style fuel filter a few months and it is looking a shade if rust color but that us normal. The filter is just getting big particles out.

Also on weber carbs there is another filter right inside the chamber where the fuel line connects too. Maybe this one needs looked at?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:58 PM

Sure am glad I'm in Cali... we don't have to worry about Ethanol since all the major oil refineries are in the Bay Area Probably has the best gas in the nation.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:13 PM

if you store the gas you can remove the ethanol from it if youre super worried about it. its pretty easy.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 PM

posting about ethanol

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Well I have to stand on the ethanol on fuel systems that stuff is down right nasty.

It effects the rubber in fuel lines any rust at all will be removed I think it even effects the metal itself after time.

I am having to change filters about once a year on both the 3.4 engines I drive now I know because the performance drops off quite a bit.

Not saying the quality of the gas these days is not part of the problem.

Atleast in the fuel now it is quite diluted .

At 100% it eats through the floors of the steel storage tanks I have customers that are putting new floors in tanks
I really believe that ethanol included in gasoline is not good for vehicles; especially those designed before it was introduced. I have studied it and I know that gasoline with ethanol breaks down more quickly than normal fuel. Any fuel will go bad after long enough, but I agree with you that the quality of gas now is worse than a few years ago. You definitely can't let fuel sit for very long anymore - I have experienced it!

There are many boat owners and oil refineries here, so it is easy for me to find non-ethanol fuel. I use it in my 3VZE, my '98 Accord, and my Yamaha outboard. I really believe that it makes a difference, especially with older vehicles.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 PM
RSR

Totally agree with the ethanol bashing.

Gamefreak -- just want to clarifythat you likely have ethanol in your gas. I think EPA requires 10% blend right now and wants to up it to 15%. Ethanol replaced MTBE. Just because it's not the E85, 85% ethanol fuel doesn't mean that 10% ethanol isn't causing the same problems, jsut more slowly.

Car manufacturers overwhelmingly oppose new EPA-approved E15 fuel http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/06/ca...oved-e15-fuel/

AAA warns against E15 ethanol fuel http://www.upi.com/Business_News/201...5331354316401/

Last edited by RSR; 09-27-2013 at 07:40 PM.