Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

fuel filter advice/ fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fuel filter advice/ fuel pump?

OK guys so my 3.0 powered runner recently has started to make a faint whistle that revvs up and down with the engine and semi sounds like it is coming from behind the driver seat. It is rather intermittent however, and sometimes is louder or non existsnt. I'm assuming it is my fuel pump and I'm not sure if that needs to be replaced as the engine has given me no trouble with stumbling or hard starting. I figure since I dont know when the last time the filter was replaced I may as well take care of it for my trucks quarter million birthday.

I know the how to for this has been covered s million times so I not asking for help on instilation.

My question: is there any reason to go with an OEM fuel filter from Toyota? or will a fram be just as good?

I will be placing an order from Toyota for starter contacts soon as they are the only people in my area that hopefully will have them (fingers crossed).

So if you guys have any advice regarding the starter replacement, and the fuel filter that would be much appreciated. (Sorry if there have been spelling errors I'm writing from my phone.)
Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never heard of a fuel pump whistle. More likely, you've got a hole in your exhaust or muffler. Do you live in a rust prone area?

Easiest way to check for exhaust leaks:

1. Run along the pipes with a tissue looking for air escaping that will blow it around
2. Use long piece of hose with one end in your ear, the other scanning the pipes for abnormal sounds/rushing air
3. Seafoam your engine through the brake booster (see directions) and look for white smoke escaping (flashlight helps here).

To your other questions, fuel filters are supposed to be a lifetime item, but if you do feel you need to replace than go with Toyota so you'll never have to bother with it again.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 02-02-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:16 PM

Maybe whistle was the wrong descriptor, its whining. But ill check it for exhaust leaks, the car lived in the sf bay area most of its life... that said the tailpipe literally rusted off.

Last edited by foppert; 02-02-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I use a parts store fuel filter and seems to work for me. If you are suspecting a fuel pump issue, I have used several off of ebay and have never had a problem with any of them, less then $30 shipped. Toyota will want $300 and parts store is $150ish.

Contacts,http://nationstarteralternator.com/

Starter contacts I have used and are great quality.
Starter Rebuild Video.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-02-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 AM

Thanks, i've done the starter before... i just cleaned it however. This time i intend to replace the contacts as i don't want this problem to show its ugly head again for another 250k miles.

I'll go ahead and use the parts store fuel filter if its a lot cheaper than Toyota's.

To further describe the whine i'm hearing i almost thought it was coming from the stereo, as i have speakers in the back and i've heard other stereos make a similar noise when having weird grounding issues. I turned mine off and the sound persisted.

Its been raining here in LA so i haven't gotten under the truck to search for any exhaust leaks, but its pretty likely as i am running a cheapo cat due to mine being stolen and my tail pipe is literarily long gone due to rust. ill drive the car until i hear the sound on the inside and hop out and see if i can tell exactly where it is coming from.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
The fuel pump runs at a constant speed, so if the whining goes up and down with engine speed, it's not likely to be the pump. Even in the Bay Area, it does occasionally rain (well, not so much this year). So I vote for the exhaust system. Much easier to check there than to replace a fuel pump.

I'm perfectly happy with my Fram fuel filter (I've always used Fram).

Your intuition about the speaker system is pretty good. Even when it's "off," the speaker system can pick up ignition whine.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 PM
hyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would also lean towards the sound system making the noise cause if it were the exhaust i would think it wouldn't come and go.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:38 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Run an extra separate ground to the stereo. This fixes most wh8ning sounds through stereo. Common problem. Assuming this is the problem.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:41 AM

So i know changing the filter is a pita job, and i had my new filter all ready to go, i found that some dumb bastard that owned the truck before me cut the metal fuel line right at the transmission support. Should i A: go through the trouble of replacing the whole line, or B: just replace the rubber line he used and call it a day? Or C: do something only medium sketchy and use a compression fitting or something of that nature to create the joint. Im kinda a fan of having a joint of some type in that location, however i am not likely going to ever need to replace the filter in the life of the truck.

Last edited by foppert; 02-09-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 AM

If it were me, I'd replace the line. While a properly installed compression joint might be a little less work, you're talking about gasoline here. Hidden (mostly), under the truck. If something gets loose, we might never even hear from you again.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Well in that case do you know if the line off a 1990 truck would fit, they are a hell of a lot easier to find.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:01 PM

Hate to bump, but a pointer in the right direction of where to get the fuel line would be nice, any recommendations or comments? I do really wanna put the thing back together right
Old 02-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Based on places like toyotapartsoverstock.com, it doesn't look like it is a dealer item.

In that case, I'd make my own. My local Autozone carries the 10mm steel tubing (check the size; I'm going by memory), and will loan the bending tool and the tool to make the double crimp ends. Even better, they stock made-up lines with a crimped fitting on each end, in a variety of fairly standard lengths. All you need to do is bend it.

If you go the pre-made (but not bent) route, I'd recommend getting an extra (or two) to practice your bending. It's not difficult, but it was not obvious to me where to place the bender in order to get the bend in the right place. Two practice bends and I was good to go.

I've only made brake lines, but fuel uses the same material, and I don't think you'll have too much trouble making a perfectly bent (and new, not junk) line.