Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front and rear driveshaft yokes interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front and rear driveshaft yokes interchangeable?

My question: will a yoke from the front driveshaft fit the rear of the rear driveshaft?

My rear driveshaft yoke, the one at the differential is FUBAR'd. The ujoint was rusted so badly that the yoke seemed like it was part of it. After chiseling the clips out and soaking with oil, I spent four hours hammering out the ujoint. Now I have a yoke that has one ear bent in ever so slightly, just enough that I can't get the new bearing cap to slot on to the ujoint on one side. I actually broke a vise trying to squeeze the cap back in.

Two machine shops in the area told me they wouldn't press it in or unspring the ujoint for liability reasons. I even requested it anyway, told them it was a trail vehicle, and said I would sign a waiver. Nada.

Basically, I need suggestions for fixing this as cheap as possible. I found front driveshafts/yokes on ebay motors for $75.

I don't want to waste time going to a junkyard and ending up with the same issue. Does anyone have any suggestions, or know of a place that sells these yokes?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by AshenCrow
Two machine shops in the area told me they wouldn't press it in or unspring the ujoint for liability reasons. I even requested it anyway, told them it was a trail vehicle, and said I would sign a waiver. ...
Good for them!

It does not look like there is a separate part number for the part of the rear universal joint that bolts to the rear differential. http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...driveLine=6747